Knights of Ren

The Acolyte: High Republic SW Disney+ Show, June 4th

On 6/16/2024 at 4:35 PM, Eric is Anxious said:

Moderation

Not the Dune vs. Star Wars thread, nor the “OMG STAR WARS IS DEAD FOREVER”

thread. Stay on topic, or threadbans will happen. Your choice

I mean the star wars is dead argument has been happening since the holiday special. 

Another great episode. But too short. I feel like this will flow much better once you can watch both episodes back to back. (Something I frequently think about MCU and SW shows)

• Like 2

I've personally always been a fan of the shorter episodes and while this one ends on one hell of a cliffhanger, I'll happily wait a week to watch how it concludes. 

I feel like too often when shows are 40-60 minutes just to hit that mark they can feel dragged out and slow, if an episode requires that additional length then do it but there shouldn't be a mandate in place to hit a certain amount of minutes. I feel like certain streamers (namely Amazon and Netflix) have gotten worse when it comes to this due to how streaming is measured by Nielsen but glad that Disney can happily put out things like The Bear or Acolyte at shorter lengths and if they need something to go longer like Shogun or Ahsoka they can do that as well. 

Edited by Potiki

I don't mind shorter episodes. But I do mind that when you're a streamer, you're not constrained to a runtime. Don't mandate a 30 minute runtime or whatever. Give them 40 minutes, 30 minutes, 55 minutes. Whatever it takes to make the episode work.

5 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I don't mind shorter episodes. But I do mind that when you're a streamer, you're not constrained to a runtime. Don't mandate a 30 minute runtime or whatever. Give them 40 minutes, 30 minutes, 55 minutes. Whatever it takes to make the episode work.

That is pretty much what all the Star Wars Live Action have been given the run time fluctuates wildly

Shorter and longest episodes for shows (in minutes):

Mando S1: 33/49

Mando S2: 34/54

Mando S3: 32/57

BoBF: 39/61

Kenobi: 38/55

Andor: 37/56

Ahsoka: 36/56

Much better than every episode has to be a certain minimum or maximum in my opinion, allows freedom in the stories that are being told even if they don't nail it every time. Also allow I give Netflix shit Cobra Kai is another show that greatly benefits from mostly shorter episodes but longer when needed. 

One of the 2 writers for this episode and the next mentioned that Disney+ has a time limit on episodes. (which is probably something like 60min) They wrote ep 4 and 5 together, but together they would have been longer than the timelimit, so they decided to split it on this cliffhanger.(she said that the other ep needed to be the longer one)

Source:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

The best thing about Acolyte will always be that it directly caused me to learn an important 100% canonical fact about Ki-Adi-Mundi - that he's apparently on the counsel as an Ostridge riding jedi knight whose allowed to go home and have sex with his wives." The goofiness of lining up tertiary canon with retconned official rules in the most important stories is always going to be funny.

176.jpg

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

On 6/16/2024 at 1:35 PM, Eric is Anxious said:

Moderation

Not the Dune vs. Star Wars thread, nor the “OMG STAR WARS IS DEAD FOREVER”

thread. Stay on topic, or threadbans will happen. Your choice

And they miss a basic  point about Dune and SW; Lucas cheerfully admits the Herbert novels were a major influence on Star Wars. In A New Hope, he directly pays tribute with that one shot on Tatooine with a huge long skelton in the desert in the background, a obvious shout out to the Sandworms in Dune.

And if Star Wars were really dead, Disney would not be spending the money on the tv shows. They still generate nough ratings to make them a good  deal for Disney.

Every Franchsie has its ups and downs. Not thrilled with last film Trilogy  but loved Mando.

I think SW has got to stop recycling the same material over and over and over.

11 hours ago, dudalb said:

And they miss a basic  point about Dune and SW; Lucas cheerfully admits the Herbert novels were a major influence on Star Wars.

Umm, it's easy to admit influences when OG material was considered as "unfilmable" for decades and a non-starter non-competitor. It's not the case now with Dune burgeoning to be its own mega franchise spawning multiple films and shows. Not that Lucas cares at this point as it's Disney's problem now. Anyways, I want to respect the moderator and not continue this discussion here but I feel the subject is interesting.

Back to THIS show...

I think SW has got to stop recycling the same material over and over and over.

The Acolyte is literally trying to be the most original SW media in quite some time with mystery/intrigue/light PG horror elements but most fanboys are whining over "THE JEDI SHOULD BE GOOOOD AND NOTHING MORE COMPLEX". So while the sentiment of "be original" is fine, if it's met with this level of vitriol then obviously the franchise will stay crippled. We saw what happened with TLJ too.

Edited by Spidey Freak

On 6/22/2024 at 4:37 AM, Spidey Freak said:

Umm, it's easy to admit influences when OG material was considered as "unfilmable" for decades and a non-starter non-competitor. It's not the case now with Dune burgeoning to be its own mega franchise spawning multiple films and shows. Not that Lucas cares at this point as it's Disney's problem now. Anyways, I want to respect the moderator and not continue this discussion here but I feel the subject is interesting.

Back to THIS show...

The Acolyte is literally trying to be the most original SW media in quite some time with mystery/intrigue/light PG horror elements but most fanboys are whining over "THE JEDI SHOULD BE GOOOOD AND NOTHING MORE COMPLEX". So while the sentiment of "be original" is fine, if it's met with this level of vitriol then obviously the franchise will stay crippled. We saw what happened with TLJ too.

The animiated clone war tv shows had more complexity then these shows

Issue is quality not content. 

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

The animiated clone war tv shows had more complexity then these shows

Issue is quality not content. 

I mean when the clone wars show came out star wars fans hated it too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reddroast said:

I mean when the clone wars show came out star wars fans hated it too

then it became popular over time as it responded to what the fanbase wanted and became better

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

It is funny to me that nobody who hates the show can accurately describe what they hate about it. It's just that they hate it, or generic complaints.

I’m around a 5/10.  But I'm pretty much going to drop the show because I’m not interested enough in the story or characters to continue further.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2024 at 3:37 AM, Spidey Freak said:

Back to THIS show...

Eh, the later Dune books are not going to work for movies and aren’t interesting for casuals.

They really need to consider dropping all the episodes at once for these Star Wars series.  Start Wars fans are too stupid and short minded to have season spread out.  Even if things make sense by the end of the season, fans will already have their minds made up.