YM!

Lightyear | 6/17/22 | Disney/Pixar | PUPPY INTERVIEW FRIDAY SO NO REASON TO SEE MOVIE NOW. FLOP INCOMING

22 minutes ago, Avatar Legion said:

I just don’t think spin-off is the right frame of reference for this. 

spin-off

noun
a product marketed by its association with a popular television program, movie, personality, etc.

Literally that is what Lightyear is. Why are we changing the definitions to justify our pie in the sky expectations?
  • Knock It Off 2

19 minutes ago, Eric loves Ajak said:

Look, I honestly can't think of the last spin-off film that increased from the previous film, at least domestically. Minions was basically billed as Despicable Me 2.5, yet it still declined from Despicable Me 2. And yes I know Lightyear will probably have better reception, but going above 434M, especially when family audience turnout, even by June, will still be up in the air...well, all I can say is when you all have a meltdown when this only gets to 275M or whatever...I told you so.

Lightyear isn't outgrossing Toy Story 3 OR 4 domestically. I'm a huge Pixar fan and even I think $400 million for this is nuts.

1 minute ago, Eric loves Ajak said:
spin-off

noun
a product marketed by its association with a popular television program, movie, personality, etc.

Literally that is what Lightyear is. Why are we changing the definitions to justify our pie in the sky expectations?

Yeesh, maybe read the comment carefully instead of the condescension next time 🙄  

Yes, it is literally a spin-off. That does not mean that spin-off is necessarily the best frame of reference as far box office comps go. It’s a different sort of relationship to the original property than you typically see.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:31 PM, Eternal Legion said:

Yeesh, maybe read the comment carefully instead of the condescension next time 🙄  

Yes, it is literally a spin-off. That does not mean that spin-off is necessarily the best frame of reference as far box office comps go. It’s a different sort of relationship to the original property than you typically see.

That's what he said though. Why is this a "different sort of relationship to the original property" compared to other spin-offs?

On 11/1/2021 at 12:59 PM, Eric loves Ajak said:

Look, I honestly can't think of the last spin-off film that increased from the previous film, at least domestically. Minions was basically billed as Despicable Me 2.5, yet it still declined from Despicable Me 2. And yes I know Lightyear will probably have better reception, but going above 434M, especially when family audience turnout, even by June, will still be up in the air...well, all I can say is when you all have a meltdown when this only gets to 275M or whatever...I told you so.

Probably Deadpool as a spin off from X-Men?