Eric Atreides

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** WONDER WOMAN 1984 SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

1 minute ago, Hangman said:

How did Barbara get a second wish?  I didn't understand that part and I don't want to watch it again.

Not explained, but ,y theory would be that people were limited to 1 wish per person from the Stone version of the stone, and one per person from the Max version of the stone, but the limit sort of reset when he transformed himself so you could get one each.

30 minutes ago, IcarusReborn said:

Max Lord just gave Minerva another wish. Doesn't seem that it was established how many wishes a person can have. 

I think there was a part in Lord's office, where he tried to give a guy a wish, but couldn't since he already got one.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, IcarusReborn said:

Max Lord just gave Minerva another wish. Doesn't seem that it was established how many wishes a person can have. 

No, they were pretty clear to establish that he could only give people one wish each. They had a whole scene about it.

• Like 1

character finds macguffin and gains a desire from it, but realizes it is getting in the way of what they need to do and twisting their desires, but a character who is only tangentially related to the conflict comes into possession of the macguffin and is unable to let it go, becoming the super powered main antagonist of the third act who is defeated by their unwillingness to let their newfound power go
meanwhile a beleaguered criminal dad who only wants to do right by their kid comes into immense power and enters into an uneasy alliance with the super powered antagonist and eventually redeems themselves by letting go of that power

Saw this elsewhere. WW84/SM3

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I thought Pedro was great, I thought Wiig was fine but I actually thought Cheetah looked very good and actually a bit scary which was cool. Gal I just love, she’s cast perfect for the role and Pine is always good in everything.

The length of the movie didn’t bother me and I thought their was enough action as well but people wanting more is understandable as well. 

I can completely understand how this movie won’t work for some people. Patty had to know that going into this cause this was a very specific style she was aiming for. It was kinda a strange choice as it was obviously an all in 80s movie but I’m not sure why the cgi needed to look the way it did. I respect her for doing what she wanted to do and going on all in but as I said above this won’t work for many people.

In both movies, Diana ultimately rejects the villain’s ideology because of Steve’s final words to her. She listened to him because she loves him. So basically for both movies the only reason she didn’t join with the villains is because of her romantic love for one man. Steve drives the plot in both movies and is the focus of her entire character arc. Am I the only one extremely bothered by this? Is this not extremely backwards and the opposite of empowering for women? Honestly when I watched Wonder Woman the first time the ending was so bad it ruined the movie for me completely. And it happened again here. I’ve come to accept that DC/Patty’s vision for Wonder Woman and an empowering female superhero just doesn’t agree with me. If they bring back Steve again in the future it will be a hard pass for me. 

Also the number of gratuitous upskirt shots are effing ridiculous. Is this Transformers or Wonder Woman? 

Edited by Lion Roar
  • Like 1

The movie has it's flaws but I really enjoyed it! Diana wasn't a Mary Sue in this one, and they actually brought her character down to earth and gave her a real arc, and the character beats were surprisingly warm compared to your usual run of the mill comic flick. I loved the CAMP. Reminded me of old Superman and Raimi Spider-Man in a good way. And while they had the final battle with Cheetah it felt way less like a "video game final boss" like so many of these movies (even the otherwise GREAT first film) and overall it actually did feel "restrained" compared to other comic book films which I quite liked.

• Like 2

A couple of really baffling shit. The Emir might be the worst arab stereotype I've seen in a Hollywood film in while and the entire Egypt sequence was just a big lull. Looked disgusting and the politics of it all was so icky especially considering the nationality of the lead. Also did she rape the guy that Steve's soul posessed or whatever? Couldn't they have just made Steve form out of nothing or something instead of using the body of another guy who then gets fucked without their consent?

Gal Gadot still feels woefully miscast. 

Saw a bunch of people on my twitter feed say that the movie is about how people wishing to change the status quo is bad but that's such a godawful misreading of the film. It's pretty clearly a movie about how taking shortcuts to make change and doing it without any effort or work will not change shit for the better. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hangman said:

How did Barbara get a second wish?  I didn't understand that part and I don't want to watch it again.

I don’t think it was a second wish, more that Max used one (or multiple) wish/es from people to give the ability to her.

Much like he would trade wishes for the Guards earlier in the film etc.

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 3

Honestly the two things that really worked for me was the cute end credits scene with Lynda Carter ... and Beautiful Lie playing during the climax.  Love that piece from BVS.

Again rest of movie was very mediocre and it seems Patty probably should have been talked out of some choices.

2 hours ago, Lion Roar said:

In both movies, Diana ultimately rejects the villain’s ideology because of Steve’s final words to her. She listened to him because she loves him. So basically for both movies the only reason she didn’t join with the villains is because of her romantic love for one man. Steve drives the plot in both movies and is the focus of her entire character arc. Am I the only one extremely bothered by this? Is this not extremely backwards and the opposite of empowering for women? Honestly when I watched Wonder Woman the first time the ending was so bad it ruined the movie for me completely. And it happened again here. I’ve come to accept that DC/Patty’s vision for Wonder Woman and an empowering female superhero just doesn’t agree with me. If they bring back Steve again in the future it will be a hard pass for me. 

Also the number of gratuitous upskirt shots are effing ridiculous. Is this Transformers or Wonder Woman? 

IMO you are missing the point. Steve is, let’s say, Diana’s anchor to humanity and ultimately her moral compass.It doesn’t have to be bad because he is a man.In Steve she sees that humans can be better and he restores her faith in them and her faith that they are worth fighting for. Ultimately, the choice is up to her. And it was not about joining the villain, it was about saving the world and keeping Steve. At the end he makes her realise that she can’t have both so she decides to let him go.

6 hours ago, IcarusReborn said:

You're right! I forgot about that. Apparently, the director and screenwriters forgot also. 

Max did not give Barbara a second wish. Because he can take things from people who make wishes, for some wishes you clearly see him directing what he takes to Barbara instead of himself, such as "her rage"