Eric Atreides

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** WONDER WOMAN 1984 SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

2 hours ago, Lion Roar said:

Steve being her moral compass is my biggest issue with this whole franchise. She's the superhero but for some reason in both movies it's Steve who does the heroic thing and she only chooses to do the right thing after remembering that she loves him. It makes Steve the hero of Diana's story/journey and the entire reason for her heroism. Diana knew Steve for a few weeks almost 70 years ago, and she spent all that time after he died living amongst humans, but somehow he's still her anchor to humanity? She has had decades with her human friends but I guess they don't matter to her at all since she was never in love with them. Once they figure out the truth about the stone, Steve immediately realizes what they need to do, but she keeps refusing to do so. In the end after almost dying she still refused to renounced the wish until Steve pushed her again, and she finally passively agrees to do so after crying and saying that she'll never love again. Instead of Diana being a hero and realizing that the world and billions of people far outweigh her own selfish childish wish, it's Steve once again making the hard call and being the hero and her being forced to go along with it.

In a nutshell, Diana is just a passive reluctant actor in her own heroic journey and Steve is the driving force and the real hero both times and that doesn't work for me.

Sounds like my review to my spouse of It's a Wonderful Life last week:)...

If you rewatch the movie, in the 2 biggest crucial disasters/turning points of George Bailey's life, he actually does nothing to solve them.  His wife single-handedly solves both crises and he just gets to glide off her largess/work/effort...but she gets no credit:).  

I actually don't mind the Steve/Diana relationship...it's very reminiscent of what Supes' family (Ma and Pa Kent, Lois Lane, depending on his age) do for him as well - when he's drifting away from humanity, they bring him back...that's what happens when you have godlike powers and others don't...since the movie reminded me of 1980s Supes, it seemed apropos...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

Steve being her moral compass is my biggest issue with this whole franchise. She's the superhero but for some reason in both movies it's Steve who does the heroic thing and she only chooses to do the right thing after remembering that she loves him. It makes Steve the hero of Diana's story/journey and the entire reason for her heroism. Diana knew Steve for a few weeks almost 70 years ago, and she spent all that time after he died living amongst humans, but somehow he's still her anchor to humanity? She has had decades with her human friends but I guess they don't matter to her at all since she was never in love with them. Once they figure out the truth about the stone, Steve immediately realizes what they need to do, but she keeps refusing to do so. In the end after almost dying she still refused to renounced the wish until Steve pushed her again, and she finally passively agrees to do so after crying and saying that she'll never love again. Instead of Diana being a hero and realizing that the world and billions of people far outweigh her own selfish childish wish, it's Steve once again making the hard call and being the hero and her being forced to go along with it.

In a nutshell, Diana is just a passive reluctant actor in her own heroic journey and Steve is the driving force and the real hero both times and that doesn't work for me.

Understand Patty’s perspective and those of the writers. This man is the love of her life. They have to show that he’s worthy of her by showing that he is as compassionate and heroic as she is. He doesn’t have any super powers, so he can’t swoop in and save two children by flinging his lasso. His worth must be shown through her eyes and through her arc. 

• Like 1

Throughly enjoyed the film.  Read through thread and I get the complaints but there is some bad nitpicking as well lol.

- Gal is great in the roll, I will never understand the complaints there.

- Watching Steve "die" again sucked.  The Hans Zimmer score during and after was amazing, best sequence in the film.

- Pedro Pascal hammed it up real well.

- Barbara's motivations needed better fleshed out.  I understood what they did there but I think it could have been executed better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Understand Patty’s perspective and those of the writers. This man is the love of her life. They have to show that he’s worthy of her by showing that he is as compassionate and heroic as she is. He doesn’t have any super powers, so he can’t swoop in and save two children by flinging his lasso. His worth must be shown through her eyes and through her arc. 

how exactly did she save those 2 kids by picking them up, moving them 10 feet forward then using them to cushion her landing?

• Haha 4

On 12/15/2020 at 11:34 AM, Eric Gardner said:

Reviews are up in about a half hour. Think it's a good time to get this bad boy up. Enjoy!

giphy.gif

The end battle looked way darker than this gif on hbo max. Bad encoding or something? I had a few buffering issues but it was only for a little while. Movie is maybe 15 minutes too long. I liked it but my sister was disappointed. 

So... we’re people supposed to remember everything that happens in the 3rd act? At first I assumed there was just no way they could possible do that, but it seems like some details that suggest they do? Would be an absolutely hilarious lack of care about continuity.

7 hours ago, DeeCee said:

It was enjoyable but a bit of a mess. Good performances all round. 

It was bizarre that there were no in-film consequences for the “bad guys”. 

It was definitely obvious they were setting up a return appearance for Barbara. Have a feeling Wiig (and the character) won't be coming back though.

Feel like the main reasons this has had such a divisive reception is the feeling of "Wonder Woman isn't in the movie called Wonder Woman 2 enough." She has one big scene within the first 15 minutes and then it's not until about 80-90 minutes into a 150 minute movie that she's fully back in superhero mode. The first movie got away with her first big heroic act not occurring until halfway through because we had to be introduced to her and her world but here it just makes for some awkward pacing.

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I don't blame WB/DC for throwing continuity out the window, they were led to believe audiences despised the other DCEU films. If fans care, they should have been more supportive of the initial plans for a shared DC universe back when people were trying to destroy it.

Are you blaming general audiences for not being mindless fanboys and not going to see these subpar movies? 

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

That terribly unnecessary Egypt plot point had Geoff Johns written all over it. This is the last film where he is on the writing team, right?

After the Ray Fisher debacle, I’m assuming they won’t want to associate with Geoff Johns moving forward.