Eric Atreides

The Book of Boba Fett | December 29, 2021 | Temuera Morrison and Ming-Na Wen star

Or in Mando proper, for that matter.

(Hondo is cannocially alive by the time of the ST, you know. :ph34r:)

Yes, there is the danger of making these shows the Greatest Hits collection, so we do need mostly new characters.  But Hondo Ohnaka is such a fantastic presence that he really should show up in at least one of these Mando-verse shows.   Does make a fair amount of sense to be in this one (or possibly Rangers) given his shady background.

Getting a bit more of the edge restored to the character (which was reasonably filed off in Rebels) wouldn't be a bad thing, either.

Edited by Porthos
Minor grammatical error fixed
  • Like 2

It's interesting to see that Robert Rodriguez has been attached to this as an executive producer.  Now from what I've seen, in the TV biz that can mean a whole range of involvement from extensive to fairly minimal.  But if RR is pretty heavily involved it'll be interesting to see what he brings to the table.  Have to think he'd be involved as a director in some of the episodes.

Was also struck by the phrase "new Original Series" in the announcement and not the use of "limited" or "event" ala the Kenobi and Lando series (as well as the Andor series).  Nothing like that mentioned in the presser, either:

Boba Fett is back. And his story is just beginning.

As teased in a surprise end-credit sequence following the season finale of The Mandalorian, the legendary bounty hunter’s journey will continue in The Book of Boba Fett. Jon Favreau, executive producer of The Mandalorian, confirmed today on Good Morning America that the new series is currently in production and will arrive December 2021, only on Disney+.

The Book of Boba Fett will be set within the timeline of The Mandalorian and star Temuera Morrison as the titular bounty hunter, along with Ming-Na Wen as Fennec Shand. Robert Rodriguez — who directed Chapter 14 of The Mandalorian, a thrilling installment that reintroduced Boba Fett to the Star Wars galaxy — joins Favreau and Dave Filoni as executive producer.

Boba Fett made his big-screen debut in 1980’s Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, becoming an instant fan favorite thanks to his visually arresting armor and cool demeanor. Jeremy Bulloch, the original actor inside the armor, passed away last week — but his legacy, including all he brought to Boba Fett, goes on. The Book of Boba Fett will carry that legacy forward.

Season 3 of The Mandalorian will go into production next year.

Now absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence and all that.  Could still be a one-shot/limited series after all, and the press shop didn't have the full information to suggest that.

Still... Filing away for future reference in case this isn't a one-and-done deal.

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Or in Mando proper, for that matter.

(Hondo is cannocially alive by the time of the ST, you know. :ph34r:)

Yes, there is the danger of making these shows the Greatest Hits collection, so we do need mostly new characters.  But Hondo Ohnaka is such a fantastic presence that he really should show up in at least one of these Mando-verse shows.   Does make a fair amount of sense to be in this one (or possibly Rangers) given his shady background.

Getting a bit more of the edge restored to the character (which was reasonably filed off in Rebels) wouldn't be a bad thing, either.

I'd figure Hondo for an appearance in Ahsoka, given his past ties to her, Sabine, Ezra, etc

47 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I'd figure Hondo for an appearance in Ahsoka, given his past ties to her, Sabine, Ezra, etc

There is that, yes, though how much an Ahsoka series is gonna be the Rebels-sequel with the serial numbers filed off remains to be seen.  I was mostly thinking the pirate/criminal operative trying to turn legitimate type background of Hondo (which could tie in all sorts of ways in any of the Mando shows).  He has a history with Boba Fett as well from his time during the Clone Wars so that works just as well, IMO.

Hmmmmm.... Some theorizing going on about the post-credit scene based on some clever detective work.

Since it is based on something that isn't readily apparent and would have rather large story implications, after some reflection and a lot of thought, I'm gonna throw it behind a spoiler bar.  At least for now.

(it's also kinda long, so spoiler bar works for that reason as well :lol:)

Spoiler

It's all based on the runes on the throne that we see Boba Fett claim.

Let's start here:

and ends here:

EpyRKVgVoAACyHc?format=jpg&name=900x900

Similar detective work was done over here at Fandom.

What could this mean?  Well presuming it wasn't a cute easter egg (or a prop from the Boba Fett show proper that WASN'T altered for this episode), it rather changes the post-credit scene from one of cold-blooded murder to one of Boba Fett reclaiming a throne that he lost in some way.

More thinking here:

As well as at the link I supplied above (it came to somewhat different post-sarlacc conclusions/theories for the record).

I must admit I found it odd that Bib Fortuna of all people would make a throne for himself to lounge around in.  Or rather, I found the idea of a throne being there odd in the first place since Jabba most certainly couldn't/didn't use it.   It doesn't fit him for one.

But if this was Boba's Home Base for a while post-sarlacc pit, then a LOT of things start to click into place.  Including Boba Fett having enough of a support base/network to save Fennec Shand (even if he didn't have access to the actual palace at the time).  It also re-contextualizes Bib's "I thought you were dead" line to something after the sarlacc pit.  Perhaps even after Boba saved Fennec? 

And it suddenly makes Boba's post-RotJ time a hell of a lot more interesting and worthy of telling.  Just what the hell happened to Boba to cause him to lose his armor and his support?  Did he even have his armor while he was ruling from Jabba's ex-Palace? How the hell did the armor find its way to Jawas?  Or is this post-credit scene further along the line than we thought and The Book of Boba Fett will be something of a tale of how Fett Got His Groove Back?

Furthermore it does somewhat explain how much of a pushover Bib was.  Again, I found it odd that Bib Fortuna was so easily dispatched and I found it a little puzzling why no one else had knocked him over in the last five+ years.  But if Fortuna had just recently-ish moved in..

====

Now ALL of this is (mostly) theorizing off something that could be nothing more than a glorified easter egg.  Or even a continuity error. Then again, Lucasfilm went out of its way to have an accurate diner menu earlier in the show, so....

Something to chew over until some trailers or descriptions of the series drop, at least.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

I see the term "Mando-verse" becoming really popular in the same way as the Arrowverse was for the DC CW shows. My one fear is I really hope Favreau and Filoni aren't spread too thin by the amount of shows they are doing now. Unlike the Arrowverse the good thing is that most of the new shows are limited series (it seems).

The Book of Boba Fett arrives later this year and we know almost nothing about it, but I’ve heard of one The Mandalorian character to expect.

The Book of Boba Fett has just about wrapped filming (if it hasn’t already) and details on the story/set have been ridiculously tight. That said, I’ve heard word from a couple of independent sources that at least one other familiar “face” from The Mandalorian will make an appearance: Din Djarin.

The reason WHY Din Djarin shows up is something I’m unclear on and have heard a couple different explanations for. As such, I don’t want to throw the speculation here and have it misconstrued. Either way, I’m fairly certain it won’t be a large role, and something more along the lines of a cameo.

(more at the link in the tweet)

Not too surprising, but welcome news nonetheless.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

https://collider.com/the-mandalorian-season-3-the-book-of-boba-fett-production-filming/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Star Wars fans are going to have to wait just a little bit longer for more adventures from The Mandalorian. Upcoming spinoff series The Book of Boba Fett has officially wrapped filming and is on schedule for a December premiere on Disney+, as was previously confirmed. The Mandalorian, which reintroduced Temuera Morrison's bounty hunter to the Star Wars franchise, revealed the new spinoff at the end of Season 2, and The Book of Boba Fett has been filming in Los Angeles on the same stage as the first series created by Jon Favreau for Disney+.

The Book of Boba Fett will be a more closely-linked spinoff as well and sources have told us to think of the series as "The Mandalorian Season 2.5," with characters from The Mandalorian slated to appear in the series that currently co-stars Ming-Na Wen as Fennec Shand.

• Like 1

Directors confirmed are: Rodriguez, Favreau, Filoni, and Dallas Howard.  Also teases:

Morrison continued: "We've gotta look at the timeline, we gotta look at where [Boba] has been. We gotta keep the fans happy."

As for a mooted S2?

Going forward, does Morrison think The Book of Boba Fett will continue into a second season?

"I think they'll have to consider some things... The tree is still growing."

Morrison continued: "They'll probably want to test the waters first, there's been no talk about it.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

LFG!!!!!!!!!

*long pause*

Corey Burton does the voice or we riot! j1aUlyv.gif j1aUlyv.gif j1aUlyv.gif

====

EDIT:::

This isn't official yet, of course. So consider it a rumor for now.

But.  Yeah.  I think this development, should it happen, pleases me. 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

I heard reports that Mara Jade from the expanded Universe or now Legends might be introduced in this series. She is one of my favorite EU characters and I hope it is true. what do you guys think?