The Wild Eric

The Book of Boba Fett | December 29, 2021 | Temuera Morrison and Ming-Na Wen star

‘The Book Of Boba Fett’ Premiere Screening Event Postponed Due To Covid Surge (Deadline)

Deadline has confirmed that Disney+’s red carpet Hollywood premiere for Star Wars spinoff series The Book of Boba Fett has been delayed from Jan. 4 at the El Capitan Theatre to Feb. 8. This is all because of Covid concerns in the face of the spiking Omicron variant.

The show debuts on the streamer on Dec. 29, and the delayed premiere will celebrate the season finale instead.

Expected guests were Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Robert Rodriguez, Kathleen Kennedy and Ming-Na Wen, with more to be announced in the future.

Variety first had the news about the premiere postponement for The Book of Boba Fett. 

Got to admit even setting aside having a red carpet premiere for a streaming show, I have found it weird that LFL insists on having them after they've already debuted.  Still a way to see it on a large screen, and Hollyweird always loves an excuse to have a party.  Just weird that they don't do it a day before (or even a day after if they must).

Though as I check the date, Feb 8th is the day before the show is scheduled to wrap (or rather a few hours), so at least that will be an actual premiere (of the season/series finale).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, poweranimals said:

It's kind of hard to believe this is coming out in 2 days. There really doesn't seem to be any hype for this. Hopefully it's good.

Well, the Number One Problem, as I said a while back, is NWH sucking up all the hype as far as the eye can see. 

But, yes, LFL/Disney is doing itself no favors by focusing on the first 15 minutes or so of the first episode when it comes to having marketing build up hype.

That being said, there does seem to be a fair amount of anticipation for this in nerd circles.  It does have a lot of marketing muscle behind it (an untold number of TV spots and internet trailers and whatnot) so it's not like LFL isn't putting any energy behind it.

At the same time, I have felt all along that not only was this not going to be as "big" as The Mandalorian, it didn't need to be.  Just be good and enjoyable and go over well with the fans, and that should be fine enough.  Lucasfilm doesn't need to hit a grand slam home run with every release.   Simply advancing the runners or getting solid production (to keep the baseball analogies going) is more than good enough, IMO.

Now if it somehow does blow up, all the better.  But being good should be, well, good enough.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well, the Number One Problem, as I said a while back, is NWH sucking up all the hype as far as the eye can see. 

But, yes, LFL/Disney is doing itself no favors by focusing on the first 15 minutes or so of the first episode when it comes to having marketing build up hype.

That being said, there does seem to be a fair amount of anticipation for this in nerd circles.  It does have a lot of marketing muscle behind it (an untold number of TV spots and internet trailers and whatnot) so it's not like LFL isn't putting any energy behind it.

At the same time, I have felt all along that not only was this not going to be as "big" as The Mandalorian, it didn't need to be.  Just be good and enjoyable and go over well with the fans, and that should be fine enough.  Lucasfilm doesn't need to hit a grand slam home run with every release.   Simply advancing the runners or getting solid production (to keep the baseball analogies going) is more than good enough, IMO.

Now if it somehow does blow up, all the better.  But being good should be, well, good enough.

I think there is more hype than people realize. Boba is popular and will generate some level of interest. Still obviously not the ideal release date for stuff in the "family friendly action" space, as the relative underperformance of Hawkeye has just shown. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Menor said:

I think there is more hype than people realize. Boba is popular and will generate some level of interest. Still obviously not the ideal release date for stuff in the "family friendly action" space, as the relative underperformance of Hawkeye has just shown. 

Oh, I think it can go in any number of directions hype-wise once it is released.  Especially if Lucasfilm has been "hiding" things.  And, yes, Boba Fett is a fairly popular character, though how much of that will actually survive contact with the GA when he has more than 5 min of screen time/is the central character remains to be seen. The reception from his guest starring appearances in Mando is a good sign on that score, I will admit. But, still, is something of an open question about the popularity of Boba Fett, Leading Man vs Boba Fett, Cool Looking Dude in the Corner.

As for relative underperformance?  I did note the lack of discussion about Hawkeye on this board, but I wasn't sure if that was from lack of interest/interesting things to talk about or if the Marvel-stans were too busy geeking over NWH.  

TBOBF is helped on that score, slightly, by being nearly two weeks post premiere of NWH.  Right about now is when the notoriously short attention spans of Collective Geekdom starts looking around to see what next to talk about.  The Batman is probably too far away to really get collective interest for more than a day or so, so Boba has that going for it.

More than a little curious, honestly, to see just how much of a splash this actually makes.  Not expecting it to beast out as I said.  But am curious to see just how much attention it does grab.

• Like 2

It was alright probably though the weakest start of the Disney+ Star Wars shows so far however.

Spoiler

I'm sure the flashbacks will play a part in the present day storyline but for now it's far less interesting than Boba trying to keep the underworld of Jabba intact which we only got a glimpse of.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not really sure why they kept such a tight lid on things judging by the first episode.

Spoiler

Am somewhat surprised that they opened straight up with the sarlacc escape.

Escape seemed a little easy, but that was more or less made up for by Boba being completely this side of dead and pretty much suffering from after effects for a long time.

Also implied pretty heavily that he still hasn't fully recovered all these years later, which is... interesting.

Little early to say, but this looks like it has Slow Burn written all over it.

Spoiler

Especially with the lack of a "hook" at the end.  Another reason I am... curious, that they kept such a tight leash on things.

Might have played better if the first two episodes were back to back to get the introduction/exposition out of the way.

All in all fine enough, but nothing really "wow".  Not that I expected a "wow".

Also:

Spoiler

lol 4chan.  So far, at least.  Didn't read far enough to see if that so called plot-leak is actually holding water at the mo.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Episode was alright.

Hide contents

The monster at the end gave me Spy Kids vibes lol. The episode suffers with the split attention between the flashbacks and present day. Hopefully that was just a one time thing and is more focused on the present for future episodes.

Spoiler

I'll be somewhat surprised if it isn't a split story all the way through.

I suppose it might be like Mando's childhood flashbacks and used sparingly.  

But, dunno.  Got the sense this is gonna be LOST style, with flashbacks playing a heavy role in things.

Spoiler

Justice!! Hot Twi’Lek Men! About damn time.  The problematic sex club was absolutely the best part, and we should’ve stayed there. I’d like to go back. Jennifer Baels, damn Girl  

• Astonished 1

25 minutes ago, Porthos said:
  Hide contents

I'll be somewhat surprised if it isn't a split story all the way through.

I suppose it might be like Mando's childhood flashbacks and used sparingly.  

But, dunno.  Got the sense this is gonna be LOST style, with flashbacks playing a heavy role in things.

Spoiler

I hope it’s sparingly, but you’re probably right because of that setup with the homestead being raided. Plus it seems Boba will spend a lot of time in the bacta tank.

I mean I’m not opposed to a lot of flashbacks, but it just felt detrimental to the present story. At least this episode. But it was pretty much setup in both storylines to be fair. Guess we’ll see how it goes with a lot less setup

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Episode was fine. Needed five minutes after the second flashback to give a hook/wrapup of the present day

'Fine' is about how I would rate it as well.

Some pretty cool stuff, nice ending, but otherwise nothing really special.

And dear lord did I not like that one specific design. It felt completely out of place, even when you consider where it is coming from.

Okay, I figured out what my issue with the episode is.  

Spoiler

My issue, as problem is too strong of a word, is that it partially violated one of the cardinal rules of episodic storytelling:  Every episode has to tell a story, even if it is part of a larger story.

And to the episode's credit it did tell a rather decent story:  How Did Boba Fett Escape the Sarlacc (And Win the Respect of the Tusken Raiders Who Captured Him).

The issue then is, the episode had an "A plot" and a "B plot" (which is which isn't important to the analysis).  In the other plotline, Boba and Fennec met the locals, had a fistfight, and found out that not everyone liked the new boss.  Which is fine as far as it went, except there was no resolution to it.  This plotline told about half to maybe three-quarters of a story (which is why I think that @4815162342 commented that there should have been about five/ten more minutes and why I think @Inceptionzq was dissatisfied with the split-structure of the episode).

If both the A and B plot told a self-contained story, if still setting up the various storylines, then the episode probably would have paid off better than it did for some.

As it is, it's fine.  Can't even call it good or bad, unless one really is sold by the Tusken Raider plotline.  But if the episode had a problem it's one that's found in too many streaming/serialized storytelling:  More setup than resolution.

(I hate to mention the "b word" when it comes to streaming, but I suspect this episode would have worked out much better if it had been paired with Episode Two.)

If there had been some sort of major hook at the end, then I don't think the lack of resolution would have been quite as noticeable as it was.  

Plenty of time to right the ship, but if future episodes follow this split focus (past and present day), then it'll need to do a better job of actually telling two stories at once.

• Like 7

Lackluster start, but has potential. It needed more of a hook. This show just feels much too inefficient right now, I think Mando had a similar length first episode but used every bit of it well, here the narrative direction is very unclear.

Edited by Menor Reborn