Eric Atreides

The Book of Boba Fett | December 29, 2021 | Temuera Morrison and Ming-Na Wen star

1 hour ago, Knights of Ren said:

Disagree.  If you don’t watch this and then watch S3 of Mandalorian, it won’t make any sense 

Other than asking yourself where did Grogu get his Mithril.... um... i mean Mandalorian steel shirt, if it ever gets addressed again, there really is nothing in terms of story or character develoment you are missing out on. Grogu is still on that planet training with Luke and Mando is still out and about. Unless that scene wasn't Mando bringing Grogu back to Luke... i'm not sure about that actually...

Anyway, the show was soooo meh, you might as well watch those 5 minutes of relevant stuff for S3 on youtube...

Edited by Elessar

10 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Other than asking yourself where did Grogu get his Mithril.... um... i mean Mandalorian steel shirt, if it ever gets addressed again, there really is nothing in terms of story or character develoment you are missing out on. Grogu is still on that planet training with Luke and Mando is still out and about. Unless that scene wasn't Mando bringing Grogu back to Luke... i'm not sure about that actually...

Anyway, the show was soooo meh, you might as well watch those 5 minutes of relevant stuff for S3 on youtube...

Grogu didn't go back to Luke.

• Like 1

Shifting this reply over to here where it's more On Topic:

31 minutes ago, Eric the Living Vampire said:

I have to admit, the more I see its total viewership, the more I'm honestly curious whether or not there'll be a second season of Boba Fett at some point.  Yes it had some very real structural problems.  But I also think that was somewhat overblown by the echo-chamber like nature of the internet in general and the fussy like nature of SW fandom in particular.

While they're not particularly close to Mando S1 numbers once sub growth is taken into account, they do seem to point to this show being a reasonably decent mid-range sized hit.  Objectively better than Hawkeye's numbers and probably reasonably on-par with not too far behind The Falcon and the Winter Soldier even after sub growth is taken into account (never mind Falcon being on the service for a longer time).

NOTE: Edited after realizing that the chart above is only showing the numbers when it was first airing.  I think.

Now maybe a one-and-done was enough for them, especially if they don't have any good story ideas for a second season.  On the other hand, The Mouse wants content.  I know the actors involved are game for more, so maybe there will be an announcement of a second series at the upcoming Celebration.  Or if not then, perhaps further down the line.

(yes, there was the Mando S2.5 like nature of the back half of the season.  Still, I am curious)

Edited by Porthos

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Shifting this reply over to here where it's more On Topic:

I have to admit, the more I see its total viewership, the more I'm honestly curious whether or not there'll be a second season of Boba Fett at some point.  Yes it had some very real structural problems.  But I also think that was somewhat overblown by the echo-chamber like nature of the internet in general and the fussy like nature of SW fandom in particular.

While they're not particularly close to Mando S1 numbers once sub growth is taken into account, they do seem to point to this show being a reasonably decent mid-range sized hit.  Objectively better than Hawkeye's numbers and probably reasonably on-par with The Falcon and the Winter Soldier after sub growth is taken into account (never mind Falcon being on the service for a longer time).

Now maybe a one-and-done was enough for them, especially if they don't have any good story ideas for a second season.  On the other hand, The Mouse wants content.  I know the actors involved are game for more, so maybe there will be an announcement of a second series at the upcoming Celebration.  Or if not then, perhaps further down the line.

(yes, there was the Mando S2.5 like nature of the back half of the season.  Still, I am curious)

We don't have a lot of SW comps. I suspect Fett's numbers won't look like anything special after Kenobi/Andor/Ahsoka. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

We don't have a lot of SW comps. I suspect Fett's numbers won't look like anything special after Kenobi/Andor/Ahsoka. 

I mean, I dunno.  Kenobi isn't fair of a comparison and Ahoska probably isn't much better if the spike that occurred on Mando when her episode aired is any indication.  Still, I'm more comparing against the current Big Dog in Disney Entertainment and that is undeniably Marvel.

If it can objectively beat Hawkeye and be about 85% to 90% of Falcon (I think I initially misread what the chart was measuring, hence my edit I made a few minutes ago)... Well, there's room for "mid-range" SW is more or less what I am saying.  If the folks involved are game.

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean, I dunno.  Kenobi isn't fair of a comparison and Ahoska probably isn't much better if the spike that occurred on Mando when her episode aired is any indication.  Still, I'm more comparing against the current Big Dog in Disney Entertainment and that is undeniably Marvel.

If it can objectively beat Hawkeye and be about 85% to 90% of Falcon (I think I initially misread what the chart was measuring, hence my edit I made a few minutes ago)... Well, there's room for "mid-range" SW is more or less what I am saying.  If the folks involved are game.

Maybe, but I suspect there are a lot of SW series ideas that could give similar viewership numbers to a hypothetical Boba S2 (which also would have to deal with a lot of skepticism after S1). At least if they do it I hope they give it to a different team from Rodriguez/Favreau

Edited by Menor Reborn

I don't see Andor being bigger than Boba.

Besides the chat is a little missleading when it's not taking in consideration anything after the finale, it make Hawkeye looks like a failure when the overall numbers were more on par with the norm and had the best post finale week of any of the shows, another thing is  that we know Wandavision overall numbers surpassed Loki for the year.

Edited by Fox20

(posting partially coz it's cool, but also partially coz it shows that LFL is still playing with the character a bit which makes me go "Hmmm...")

((not very loudly, mind, but a "hmm" nonetheless))

• Like 1

So, just finished a rewatch in the run-up to S3 of Mando and I just have one thing to say that I think I missed at the time...

┳┻| 
┳┻| 
┻┳|
┻┳| 
┳┻| 
┳┻| 
┻┳| 
┻┳| 
┳┻| 
┳┻| 
┻┳| 
┳┻| 
┻┳| 
┳┻| _ 
┻┳| •.•)    Cad Bane Lives.
┳┻|⊂ノ     
┻┳|

(I think I completely missed the blinking lights going off immediately after Cad Bane got stabbed the first go around and I definitely missed the discourse around the lights)

((well... I wouldn't say 'missed' the discourse as I most certainly did not "miss" it judging by some quick glances I'm seeing :ph34r:))

• Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

So, just finished a rewatch in the run-up to S3 of Mando and I just have one thing to say that I think I missed at the time...

┳┻| 
┳┻| 
┻┳|
┻┳| 
┳┻| 
┳┻| 
┻┳| 
┻┳| 
┳┻| 
┳┻| 
┻┳| 
┳┻| 
┻┳| 
┳┻| _ 
┻┳| •.•)    Cad Bane Lives.
┳┻|⊂ノ     
┻┳|

(I think I completely missed the blinking lights going off immediately after Cad Bane got stabbed the first go around and I definitely missed the discourse around the lights)

((well... I wouldn't say 'missed' the discourse as I most certainly did not "miss" it judging by some quick glances I'm seeing :ph34r:))

Okay some For Real Thoughts.

As I suspected earlier in the thread last year, this does work better on a binge model.  Flows better and the flashbacks, while still structurally odd, aren't nearly as bad.

However my gripe with character motivation not being clear enough is even more present on a rapid fire bang bang bang watch.  Maybe not even motivation, per se, but character progression.  There were multiple instances where either there were illogical jumps in character actions or the plot wasn't just clear enough on why things were happening.

The big one, which I've already commented on before, is why the hell Boba Fett stayed with the Tuskens.  Oh, I know why (and commentary/script direction makes it fairly clear).  But it wasn't earned inside the story.  Literally a few minutes after Boba is griping to a fellow prisoner that he could have escaped he suddenly is buddy buddy thanks to one fight with a desert critter? As part of that very scene? Don't buy it.

Or rather, I do buy it... But it needed to be sold/set up better.  See, I think the biggest problem here is that Boba is being written as the Strong Silent Archetype, which is a very fine archetype.  But it plays merry hell with establishing character motivation if they're surrounded by folks that don't communicate their thoughts or said Strong Silent Type doesn't have someone to bounce off of.  I don't think it's a coincidence at all that the Fett/Tusken scenes worked a hell of a lot better in the second episode where he was communicating his thoughts/actions with the Tuskens.  I think the first episode would have flowed better with a fellow prisoner that could actually talk with Boba, even if it played out exactly the same way.  Also would have helped to have Boba express his thoughts more, even as a mutter to himself, as he felt his attitudes changing, his respect for the Tuskens growing, him deciding to hang out for a while ("finding a tribe" to belong to).

Also think his "tired of working for idiots" as the motivation for his mid life crisis should have been established far far faaaaaaaaaaar sooner. Like in the very first episode.  Hell, even a flashback to before the sarlacc pit.  Say, establishing his beef with Bib Fortuna (which I looked up after the fact and doesn't appear to be addressed anywhere else in current story telling, including the War of the Bounty Hunter comic series which was surmised at the time said comic series started, near as I can tell).    Pretty much anything which established that Boba was getting tired of being someone else's errand boy, beyond comments here and there.  "Show not tell" and all that.

The other major character progression problem I had was... the show didn't do enough to show why the hell he stuck around post-Tusken massacre, even if he was dead set on recovering his ship and armor.  Was a stray comment about "better to let people think you're dead" which is... fine, I guess.  But Boba is a pretty resourceful guy.  Are you telling me he just aimlessly wandered around Tatooine for a couple of years/months/whatever, unwilling to establish any contacts/set up any situations before Fennec Shand fell into his lap?  That I don't buy at all.

(and, what, Bib Fortuna never tried to sell the ship for parts? He just left it there?  Meh)

And it's things like the above which makes me... frustrated with the series as a whole.  Don't get me wrong.  I stand by what I said earlier when I said it was fine.  Good even.  But it could have been great with some minor surgery/more time in the oven.

I keep coming back to one of Fett's last comments about how he is feeling dissatisfaction with all the genuflecting being thrown his way once he's won.  This series was this close (we were THIS CLOSE meme HERE) to being a fantastic observation on mid-life crises and "wanting is sometimes better than having", to paraphrase something from the other famous space SciFi franchise.  One thing that was clear, and did work IMO, is that all throughout this show is that Boba Fett was trying to find purpose in his life.  But everywhere he turned, it never was quite what he wanted.  Also think Cad Bane struck true with his comment about Boba being a killer, and Boba didn't like it one bit.

Now this is a fairly negative post, but... all in all, I do think the above is my only real gripes with the series.  Well, *major* gripes that is, and I do have quite a few more quibbles here and there (I reserve the right to re-add my concerns about how the Mando/Grogu storyline was seen here in, oh, about 3 to 4 hours once the S3 premiere of Mando is over).  But, really, long post is already long.

And, really, the series is pretty enjoyable overall.  As I said in the linked post not everything is the WOOOOOORST EVAR or BESTSEST THING!11!  Some things just do some things very well and some things... less well.  I suppose I could spend a future post listing what this series did do well and perhaps I will.  But I think I'll save it for another time.

Say whenever I decide to watch this series in chronological order (i.e. jump in and out of episodes and watch all of the flashbacks in order before shifting to 'present day'). :ph34r:

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 2:52 PM, Menor Reborn said:

Well I was wrong about this lol. Obviously it crushed Andor and I now suspect it will have higher viewership than Ahsoka as well given how close it got to Kenobi.

• Like 1