Eric Duncan

The Book of Boba Fett | December 29, 2021 | Temuera Morrison and Ming-Na Wen star

I mean the episode quality was very good, easily the best so far, but...

Spoiler

It was basically Mando S3 E1, so...it just reminds me how much more I like that show? I don't understand why this episode was placed in Book of Boba instead of in the Mandalorian itself. 

But, seeing as it was:

Great first half. Some of the best stuff Mando has done. Awesome watching him train with the Darksaber, and then it was crushing to see him get exiled over the helmet and watching him miss Grogu. 

Second half was solid, I think it dragged a little in repairing the ship, but watching the N-1 fly through Beggar's Canyon and around the ship was glorious. As a huge fan of TPM this episode was heaven. 

The N-1 is too small for Din though, it's a stopgap I suppose. He needs a new bigger ship.

Other stuff:

I detect a lot of Telos influence from KOTOR2 in the first planet. I really liked seeing that location, these sort of space station planets are always cool and a nice break from the single environment/city duopoly. 

Is Din gonna be in the next episode? Because the end implied he was going to visit Grogu first, which makes the placement of this episode in the series even more odd.

WIZARD! Whoever put that line in there deserves a raise. 

Overall, a strong start to Mandalorian Season 3??

Edited by Menor Reborn

Very good episode, but its obviously a big problem when the best episode by far doesn't have you titular character in it. 

I think the problem is they made Boba Fett a boring and old fat idiot.  Maybe they should just end Book of Boba Fett after this season and have Fennec Shand go back over to Mandalorian in season 3 because shes a good character being wasted in this.

Edited by Ozymandias

On 1/26/2022 at 7:07 PM, Menor Reborn said:

detect a lot of Telos influence from KOTOR2 in the first planet. I really liked seeing that location, these sort of space station planets are always cool and a nice break from the single environment/city duopoly. 

This was hands down the best part. I was like Yesssssssss.  New and fun locations!

• Like 1

I think Disney and streaming services should be careful in trying to make shows for each character and realize that the characters sometimes work better in a group setting.

I think there is huge demand for people to watch Mandalorian team up with the Bounty Hunter and other characters. 

Could become like a live series Clone wars style show that just covers events after Rotj and they can focus on all the characters.

Asoka... mandolrian, Bounty Hunter, and others.

Edited by Torontofan

Spoiler

From last year:

On 11/30/2020 at 12:56 AM, Porthos said:

I want to swing back to this, now that we're past our informal spoiler bar window. 

I'm not entirely convinced that Grogu will actually call out to anyone whenever he gets to Life Choice Mountain.  

One of the things I really love in my Star Wars is the philosophical underpinnings of it.  It's why I'm a sucker for any and all training sequences that dip into the mystical/philosophical side of things.  Along these lines I think perhaps the single most important piece of dialogue in the last episode is the following:

Ahsoka:  Place Grogu on the seeing stone at the top of the mountain.

Djarin: Then what?

Ahsoka: Then Grogu may choose his path.

I think one of the undercurrents in this last episode is that Mando was trying to force the Child to do something the Child clearly didn't want to do at the time:  Relearn the ways of the Force.  I might be overreading things a bit, but I think one of the subtexts of the episode was that Ahsoka picked up on this and that was one of the reasons she refused to train him.  I was reminded a bit of stereotypical parents at Little League baseball games or parents who live vicariously through their children when they try to shove them into acting or similar endeavors. 

Well, it's one thing to try to get a kid to do something they clearly don't want to do.  It's quite another when they have the potential to shoot lighting out of their fingertips when they get honked off at an ump or a judge.

Maybe the seeing stone is going to give Grogu a choice: The Way of the Jedi or The Way of the Mandalore.

Reinforcing my thoughts on this was an image from Lone Wolf and Cub I came across on Twitter a couple of days ago:

En8vVTcXcAI31qM?format=jpg&name=small

Now I know of Lone Wolf and Cub, though I've never read it or seen any of the adaptations (yes yes I know I know),  But I also know that there is a clear Lone Wolf and Cub influence on The Mandalorian.  So this got me to thinking.  It would appear that Grogu is going to be given a choice between two paths.  Broadly speaking, one where he retrains in the Force and one where he doesn't.

What if most of us who are guessing Who Will Answer the Call are getting it all wrong?  What if Grogu decides to metaphorically reach for the sword and not the ball?  And thus follow in his father(figure)'s footsteps? 

If this happens, it's a clear parallel to Lone Wolf and Cub, as by reaching for the sword, the titular Cub chose his path to follow the Lone Wolf, even though the Lone Wolf was wishing The Cub would chose differently at the time*.

* Okay, there's much more going on in that scene in LW&C that presumably doesn't apply to The Mandalorian, but I'm simplifying somewhat for brevity and for spoilers.  Also probably depends on the adaptation, but, again, brevity and spoilers.

And that's why I think those lines were the important ones.  Ahsoka is saying, more or less, if Grogu wants to be (re)trained in the ways of the Force, it really should be his decision to do so.  Not Ahsoka's.  Not Djarin's.  Grogu's and Grogu's alone.

Now clear parallels notwithstanding, they could have Grogu reach for the ball and start to turn away from Mando after all.  But if he does, I think it won't be an easy choice.

Okay, so I was only off by a year or so.  :ph34r:

No way, I mean no way could Star Wars avoid that scene forever.

In other topics:

Spoiler

I have a LOT of questions surrounding Ahsoka/Luke.

Like, a LOT.  No way in hell did I think Lucasfilm would pull that card this early in to Live Action Ahsoka.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4