Porthos

Star Wars: Visions - 9 animated short films from "leading Japanese anime studios", coming Sep 22, 2021 on Disney+

Star Wars: Visions

Presenting all-new, creative takes on the galaxy far, far away, Star Wars: Visions will be a series of animated short films celebrating Star Wars through the lens of the world’s best anime creators. The anthology collection will bring 10 fantastic visions from several of the leading Japanese anime studios, offering a fresh and diverse cultural perspective to Star Wars.

Didn't realize this was coming out in 2021, so might as well start up the thread as I know of at least two posters who are interested in this.  Anime angle will probably bring in a few more.

Curious to see what people are expecting/wanting out of this.  The obvious analogue is The Animatrix, but there's others out there.  Have to think this will be something of a weekly thing, with widely variable length in the various short films.  Maybe two or three a week, given most of them shouldn't be too long. 

Be interesting to see if any of these are gonna be re-tellings of classic SW stories or all-new takes. Also curious to see just how "out there" they go and if any/many completely get away from the time period of the Galactic Civil War.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

EXPLORE STAR WARS: VISIONS AT ANIME EXPO LITE

GET A SNEAK PEEK AT THE ANIMATED ANTHOLOGY FROM RENOWNED ANIME CREATORS AND STORYTELLERS DURING A VIRTUAL PANEL THIS JULY.

Today, Anime Expo announced that Lucasfilm will bring a galaxy far, far away to Anime Expo Lite this July with the panel Star Wars: Visions – Sneak Preview.

Join host Chastity Vicencio and Lucasfilm executive producers Jacqui Lopez, James Waugh, and Josh Rimes, Qubic Pictures’ and co-executive producer Justin Leach, and producer Kanako Shirasaki for an inside look at Star Wars: Visionsbefore the series debuts on Disney+ later this year.

Check out the full details below.

Star Wars: Visions – Sneak Preview 
July 3, 2021 / 3 p.m. PST 
Duration: 30 minutes

Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: Visions is an upcoming anthology of animated shorts celebrating Star Wars through the lens of the world’s best anime creators and storytellers. Tune in for a sneak peek that will leave you excited for this all-new vision of the galaxy far, far away!

Learn more about Star Wars: Visions and other current and upcoming projects on StarWars.com.

https://www.starwars.com/news/explore-star-wars-visions-at-anime-expo-lite

Feckin' finally.

Maybe they got sick and tired of Jordan Maison posting his "wait, that's illegal" meme. :lol: 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

https://www.starwars.com/news/explore-star-wars-visions-at-anime-expo-lite

Feckin' finally.

Maybe they got sick and tired of Jordan Maison posting his "wait, that's illegal" meme. :lol: 

I feel weird about this, on one hand i expect high quality animation but on theo ther hand it's just a series of short.

Hoping it is the prelude to something bigger when it comes to exploring anime ventures.

• Like 1

Reminder:

Gonna be livestreamed as part of the Anime Expo on Sat (3pm PDT, 6pm EDT, 11pm BST, midnight CEST).  Don't know if anyone here is popping the $5 for access to Anime Expo's weekend coverage, but it's gonna be part of that.  Hopefully/presumably the panel will be put online at some point, of if not, any trailers/sneak peaks that come out of this will be instead.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Porthos said:

Reminder:

Gonna be livestreamed as part of the Anime Expo on Sat (3pm PDT, 6pm EDT, 11pm BST, midnight CEST).  Don't know if anyone here is popping the $5 for access to Anime Expo's weekend coverage, but it's gonna be part of that.  Hopefully/presumably the panel will be put online at some point, of if not, any trailers/sneak peaks that come out of this will be instead.

Sad, they say it'll be there and then they ruin it for those of us not going there.

Let's hope it'll leak.

27 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Sad, they say it'll be there and then they ruin it for those of us not going there.

Let's hope it'll leak.

You might have misunderstood the article a bit.  It's a virtual con/event.  Just pop 5 bucks (which goes to charity) and watch it online.  Or wait till it leaks/promos are released by the studio.

EDITED:

I also presume there will be more than a couple of accounts reacting to the livestream, and you can just get any important news updates that way.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You might have misunderstood the article a bit.  It's a virtual con/event.  Just pop 5 bucks (which goes to charity) and watch it online.  Or wait till it leaks/promos are released by the studio.

EDITED:

I also presume there will be more than a couple of accounts reacting to the livestream, and you can just get any important news updates that way.

Oh ok, fine then :)

I can't wait to see SW going anime, I hope they'll do it better than Marvel did but given it's for Disney+ I expect them to not be scroogey :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

@Porthos  I'm impressed with the secrecy surrounding SWV: we have no idea which creators or studios will be on board

With many partners, chances are higher it'd leak but not here...

"Impressed" is certainly a word you could use.  "Annoyed" or "irritated" also could work. :lol: 

I get the Lucasfilm playbook.  Just doesn't mean I always agree with it. 

Still, less than 24 hours so no sense in me complaining right now.  Consider it a more general comment about how LFL chooses to publicize/market its upcoming products.  (or doesn't, as the case may be :ph34r:)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

"Impressed" is certainly a word you could use.  "Annoyed" or "irritated" also could work. :lol: 

I get the Lucasfilm playbook.  Just doesn't mean I always agree with it. 

Still, less than 24 hours so no sense in me complaining right now.  Consider it a more general comment about how LFL chooses to publicize/market its upcoming products.

As a longtime Nintendo fan I'm just used to it, I'm impressed because I rarely see other firms being able to match Nintendo's ability to hide stuff ^^

But it's also why I understand you very well here as I know how irritating it can be, at least the time has come in less than 24 hours we'll know more at last...getting an airing date and knowing who's behind would be nice, I expect it in October :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

StarWars.jpg

On Star Wars Wiki they say it's a concept art but I can't find the source....Would be nice though ^^

@Porthos @Jamiem

It was released back at Investor Day.  IIRC, it was one of the slides that was shown when Kathleen Kennedy was talking about the project.

EDIT:::  Yep.  Just confirmed by checking an archive of the live stream.  15:54 timestamp at this link.

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Menor said:

This seems interesting. Wonder what the shorts will be about though. The old Clone Wars microseries was a series of shorts and was quite good but I assume this is a different sort of thing. 

Expect 10 stories completely disconnected from each other at the very least, with different art styles.

Jordan Maison is also live tweeting.

Some excerpts:

"To Be One"

Good to see Star Wars theme naming is making a comeback. 👍

Edited by Porthos