Porthos

Star Wars: Visions - 9 animated short films from "leading Japanese anime studios", coming Sep 22, 2021 on Disney+

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

I mean it's Grace

So you mean if it turns out to be a runaway hit, she'll pivot on a dime?  Maybe I had ulterior motives in getting her on the record then. :ph34r:

===

More seriously, I simply sorted on Twitter via Top Reactions and she was the only truly negative reaction I saw at the time without hunting for one, so I felt I should show it; especially because of her reach/influence.  Still, can't say something similar didn't cross my mind. 

Grace is even less believeable on animation than with movies, I still laugh when she said "What if..." had Castlevania level of action and animation. ( I like What if but that is pure delusion or she just did not watch Castlevania )

Edited by Fox20

Alright so far I've seen The Duel and Tatoonie Rhapsody. Loved The Duel felt liked it was ripped straight out of a Kurosawa film (I've only seen Seven Samurai and The Hidden Fortress).

Tatoonie Rhapsody will probably be more divisive among fans but really enjoyed it and it honestly wouldn't be that out of place with canon. 

So far I've noticed both episodes do a really good job of the stories recognizably taking place in the Star Wars universe as I was only worried that the show would just be a bunch of fantasy stories that bear no resemblance to Star Wars except the title but nope no one can mistake they both clearly are in the Star Wars universe. 

EDIT: I also watched them subbed only and only plan to watch the English dub once I've seen all the episodes

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 1

Caught the first five last night before heading to bed, will catch the last four today in a while.

Don't do ranked lists (*something something thief of joy something something*), but I can say that I utterly adored The Duel, and The Village Bride as well as The Ninth Jedi.

All three of them were Extremely My Shit, with The Village Bride perhaps being the most Extremely My Shit.  Just gorgeous, in scope, message, and theme.

As for fav moments, and keeping it non-spoilery, the denouement of The Duel is at the top at the moment, with perhaps the ending of The Village Bride a very close second.

This isn't to say that Tatooine Rhapsody and The Twins weren't enjoyable (again, thief of joy) as they were.   Just weren't as great for me personally as those other ones.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

@Porthos

It’s honestly scary how much you and I agree sometimes.

I watched the first four.

Duel: Inject this into my bloodstream. I could’ve watched three hours of this. Really spot on. My only note was that I think they could’ve used a little bit more elemental animation. Kurosawa always had a lot of wind and rain and elemental movement in his work.

Rhapsody: This is quintessential bad dubbing 2000s Toonami anime shit and I am I here for it. Says in Bob The Drag Queen voice: “This is wiiiild”

Twins: This is what the sequel trilogy should’ve been. Loved the gimmick of the dual destroyers. And shot out to Alison Brie for channeling her best Sailor Moon Villain impression. 

Bride: This to me felt like the most Lucas of them all. Like, this is the one George would write and endorse. Felt could’ve gone another 5 minutes, but yeah. This felt like Star Wars. 

• Like 1

Watched the first five.

The Duel was good if a bit thin. The villain's gimmick weapon was a hoot and the atmosphere was spot on. Tatooine Rhapsody was silly slight fun.

The Twins was a hot mess. Alison Brie gave 175% and NPH was sleepwalking.

The Village Bride was very good, would have loved to see it a bit longer to flesh things out more.

The Ninth Jedi was good but felt like chapter one of a bigger story. Also felt like it could have been a little longer. Also, one of the characters was named Ethan and I just couldn't keep a straight face. That voice actor was also pretty bad in the role.

"The Village Bride" is great. That's the best one imo. 

Also what was with that rushed Lawrence of Arabia reference in "Akakiri"? They took out all the good parts of the scenes. Maybe it made more sense in Japanese because I did watch these dubbed.  

The Village Bride felt like Miyazaki in a Star Wars setting. Fantastic story that sorta has been done a bit before but executed well.

As I understand The Ninth Jedi was made very much in mind where it could potentially take place in the timeline so I'd actually love to see more episodes based on this story cause it introduced some very cool concepts and storylines which aren't wrapped up by the episode's end. 

I have watched the first four. Village Bride is my favorite so far, kinda standard storywise but it was executed really beautifully, especially the music. Duel was also quite good, the ending of the duel was really nicely done. Tatooine Rhapsody was cute but meh, Twins was too over-the-top (and I usually like over-the-top but something didn't quite gel there). 

40 minutes ago, Menor said:

I have watched the first four. Village Bride is my favorite so far, kinda standard storywise but it was executed really beautifully, especially the music. Duel was also quite good, the ending of the duel was really nicely done. Tatooine Rhapsody was cute but meh, Twins was too over-the-top (and I usually like over-the-top but something didn't quite gel there). 

On the twins.... Over the top madness is very much Trigger's calling card. It's very much an acquired taste.