Eric Atreides

Willow | Disney+ | November 30, 2022

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/disney-officially-orders-willow-tv-series

Our return to the Nelwyn Valley is assured! Disney+ confirmed today that it has officially given the green light to a sequel TV series based on 1988's Willow. The beloved fantasy movie was co-written/produced by George Lucas and directed by Ron Howard. The latter is returning to executive-produce the show, while Warwick Davis is locked in to reprise the titular role of Willow Ufgood.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/willow-disney-series-finds-its-director-with-im-not-okay-with-this-co-creator-exclusive

Willow, the Disney+ fantasy series based on the 1988 movie, has found a new director for its pilot.

Jonathan Entwistle, known for the well-regarded series The End of the F***ing World and  I Am Not Okay With This, has been tapped to direct the pilot for the show that is set after the events of the film.

Jon M. Chu (Crazy Rich Asians) was due to direct the pilot and executive produce but announced Jan. 11 that he was stepping away due to scheduling concerns and an upcoming baby due in the summer.

Entwistle is also exec producing and now joins executive producers and co-showrunners Jonathan Kasdan (Solo: A Star Wars Story) and Wendy Mericle (Arrow). Kasdan wrote the pilot.

“With its epic world of swords, sorcery and adventure, Willow captivated and influenced so many,” said Entwistle in a statement. “I’m excited to be going on this journey and working with Jon and Wendy to create something that is both deeply rooted in that original film and also a fresh, funny and charming addition to the beloved story. To be able to play within the world so painstakingly crafted by Ron back in '88 is a dream come true for me."

https://deadline.com/2021/04/willow-amer-chadha-patel-cast-disney-plus-series-1234744326/

EXCLUSIVE: Amer Chadha-Patel (Doom: Annihilationhas landed a male lead opposite Ellie Bamber, Ruby Cruz and Erin Kellyman in Willow, Disney+ and Lucasfilm’s upcoming TV series follow-up to the 1988 fantasy movie, with the film’s star Warwick Davis reprising his title role, I have learned. Lucasfilm declined comment.

No additional details about the series’ storyline have been released. According to circulated casting information for the series, it revolves around a group on a mission to save a kidnapped prince. The members of the team include Dove (Bamber), an unassuming kitchen maid who proves she is the “chosen one” as she embarks on the journey. She is joined by Kit (Cruz), the princess whose twin brother was abducted. Kit is destined to be a leader and ultimately the queen. Kellyman plays Jade, a servant who is Kit’s best friend and moral compass.

Chadha-Patel will play the fourth member of the group, Boorman, who echoes Val Kilmer’s character in the movie. Boorman is a thief and liar who joins the quest in exchange for getting out of prison.

I'm probably the only person stoked for this but it looks fantastic, will probably rewatch Willow in the coming months even though I only watched it late last year such a fun film. 

Only thing that sucks is no Val Kilmer, although that is out of LF hands it still sucks as he was such a great part of the film. 

• Like 1

I'm actually pretty stoked as well. I never watched Willow, but I like a lot of the fantasy concepts they have in here, and Warwick Davis looks like he's having a blast. It's the first in a while of these streaming fantasy shows that got my attention.

• Like 2

How does the trailer give off trashy vibes?

It looks rather stunning for what is ultimately a rather small property, and the content / acting seems entirely proper for a fantasy-adventure. If anything, I would say it seems to play quite a bit above where it could be expected.

Edited by George Parr

Only seen the first episode so far but loved it, the adventure aspects feel great and a nice build up of the new characters (although might feel slow/boring to some which is a small worry for viewership) 

Anyway I hope the show does well and Disney finally get's a solid TV hit outside of Star Wars and the MCU. 

• Like 1

How is Erin Kellyman in this? Disney seem intent on making her a thing, but I found her acting distractingly awful in Falcon & the Winter Soldier (and to a lesser extent Solo), so if she’s the same here, I might have to give it a miss. I’m hoping that it was just the script for FATWS that didn’t give her anything to work with.