Eric Atreides

Bridgerton | Netflix | Shonda! | Biggest Netflix hit in history

Recast! Seriously though, good luck to the guy who plays Anthony, he's nice looking and all, but he won't be the same sort of swoonworthy lead that made S1 so popular. Rege-Jean Page broke out insanely fast since Bridgerton debuted and can actually act, so I'm not surprised he would be eager to move on, especially since Simon is more of a supporting player in the other books. I just figured the Netflix contracts would have locked in the young stars for a three seasons, at least...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

On 4/2/2021 at 1:14 PM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Recast! Seriously though, good luck to the guy who plays Anthony, he's nice looking and all, but he won't be the same sort of swoonworthy lead that made S1 so popular.

Eating my words here because I ended up thinking Jonathan Bailey and Simone Ashley really smoldered together. Good job fleshing out the Anthony character from S1, and nice glow up. I guess the story/writers can do the same for the other Bridgerton kids, because they're going to need to if the next season's lead is Colin or 45 year old Benedict.

Just discovered that the Prudence Featherington actress is the daughter of "Mr Carson" and "Professor Umbridge" and I totally see it now.

On 3/29/2022 at 10:06 AM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Eating my words here because I ended up thinking Jonathan Bailey and Simone Ashley really smoldered together. Good job fleshing out the Anthony character from S1, and nice glow up. I guess the story/writers can do the same for the other Bridgerton kids, because they're going to need to if the next season's lead is Colin or 45 year old Benedict.

It really helped Jonathan that Simone is much more charismatic as an actress than Phoebe, giving Kate/Anthony the edge in terms of chemistry over Daphne/Simon, but he more than pulled his own weight too.

I'm not too worried about the Colin season because the main draw there will be Penelope. It's Benedict who is a bit of a cipher at this point. They were kind of teasing a queer plotline for him in S1 which was then never revisited. I see some people suggest his love interest be a trans woman. That could work in setting his romance apart and providing another aspect of novelty to the show. 

5 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

It really helped Jonathan that Simone is much more charismatic as an actress than Phoebe, giving Kate/Anthony the edge in terms of chemistry over Daphne/Simon, but he more than pulled his own weight too.

I'm not too worried about the Colin season because the main draw there will be Penelope. It's Benedict who is a bit of a cipher at this point. They were kind of teasing a queer plotline for him in S1 which was then never revisited. I see some people suggest his love interest be a trans woman. That could work in setting his romance apart and providing another aspect of novelty to the show. 

I haven't read the books but apparently Lady Whistledown is milder there, some gossipy snark but not the Jane Austen TMZ that she is on the show. Penelope has revealed some really personal, potentially ruinous stuff. Penelope has her fans but other viewers think she's gone too far and don't feel she deserves a happily ever after with a Bridgerton. I'm also not sure if TV viewers are looking forward to Penelope and Colin as a steamy Bridgerton couple, but maybe the show will do a different sort of romance with them.

In real life I wouldn't think anything of eight siblings from the same family all being hetero, but in a 2020s TV series, that's playing it awful safe. After the first season, you had a segment of viewers hoping Benedict and/or Eloise were gay but Season 2 didn’t really build on that, if anything the writers went in the opposite direction. So, I won't get my hopes up...

On 4/25/2022 at 5:33 PM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I haven't read the books but apparently Lady Whistledown is milder there, some gossipy snark but not the Jane Austen TMZ that she is on the show. Penelope has revealed some really personal, potentially ruinous stuff. Penelope has her fans but other viewers think she's gone too far and don't feel she deserves a happily ever after with a Bridgerton. I'm also not sure if TV viewers are looking forward to Penelope and Colin as a steamy Bridgerton couple

Season 2 being even bigger than Season 1 shows at least to me that it's mostly airhead entertainment media outlets who probably don't even watch the full show but just the sex scenes that make a bigger deal of the 'steamy' factor of Bridgerton. The actual fans that I see on Twitter are the Tumblr-esque uwu shippers of characters and/or thrilled to see POC play prominent roles in a period romance drama series.

18 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Poor Benedict, guess this means another season of cavorting with libertines...

Not totally surprising given Season 2, but totally sure to annoy the book fans.

They also recast Francesca.

Benedict gonna live that spinster life. I wonder if even Eloise gets her season before him.

This might give the character the opportunity to explore his sexuality over a broader period of time in B-plots tho, if that's the route they ultimately choose to take as mildly hinted in S1 but never touched upon in S2.  

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Benedict gonna live that spinster life. I wonder if even Eloise gets her season before him.

This might give the character the opportunity to explore his sexuality over a broader period of time in B-plots tho, if that's the route they ultimately choose to take as mildly hinted in S1 but never touched upon in S2.  

Some book fans are wondering if the groundwork will be laid for Benedict's eventual love interest to be introduced in S3, even if their romance won't be the focus next year. I'm not counting on Benedict being anything other than straight, since S2 seemed to back away from any hint that he might not be.

The show is its own thing but Benedict's book is apparently very popular among the fans. They are already pretty pissed about this story delay, despite Shonda and others from the show outright warning that it could happen during the S2 press tour. Give Benedict a different love interest altogether and people will riot (and I will happily read the comments on social, lol). I would love to see an AU take on sexuality in the Regency era.

16 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Some book fans are wondering if the groundwork will be laid for Benedict's eventual love interest to be introduced in S3, even if their romance won't be the focus next year. I'm not counting on Benedict being anything other than straight, since S2 seemed to back away from any hint that he might not be.

The show is its own thing but Benedict's book is apparently very popular among the fans. They are already pretty pissed about this story delay, despite Shonda and others from the show outright warning that it could happen during the S2 press tour. Give Benedict a different love interest altogether and people will riot (and I will happily read the comments on social, lol). I would love to see an AU take on sexuality in the Regency era.

I mean, technically if a trans actress is cast then the character can still remain the same. Benedict would (kinda) qualify as queer tho as Regency Era never had gender reassignment surgeries so Sophie would assumedly be pre-op.

Also, the fans need to chill. All this time I kept hearing that the Kanthony book was the best and that Kate was the best love interest and now all of a sudden Sophie is the fan favorite? Lol. They gonna hype every book at this point.

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

I mean, technically if a trans actress is cast then the character can still remain the same. Benedict would (kinda) qualify as queer tho as Regency Era never had gender reassignment surgeries so Sophie would assumedly be pre-op.

Also, the fans need to chill. All this time I kept hearing that the Kanthony book was the best and that Kate was the best love interest and now all of a sudden Sophie is the fan favorite? Lol. They gonna hype every book at this point.

Romance is a genre, and genre fans are often...a lot.

I've always seen book fans claiming that Julia Quinn's rights deal says the show can't change any of the novels' main couples. I don't even know if that’s true but as long as Benedict's love interest is someone called Sophie... 

I wonder if the writers are still deciding on what to do with Benedict and that's one reason for the switch to Polin for now. They know some fans want LGBTQ representation on the show but they are also (somewhat) following a template laid out two decades ago. Maybe they're still deciding on which sibling it's going to be, if they ever even go there...

• Like 1