El Squibbonator

How Long Until This Happens

How long until this happens?   

2 members have voted

1. 1. How long until the event I have described happens?

• At least 5 years from now
    • At least 10 years from now
    • At least 15 years from now
    • 20 or more years from now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/25/2021 at 07:05 AM

I'm also curious about the upcoming animated adaptation of The Great Gatsby. It's being produced by DNEG Animation and written by William Joyce. Also, Joyce replied to a tweet claiming he hopes the movie gets a theatrical release. That's no guarantee it will, of course, but he clearly has a vested interest in that happening, and it's not being produced directly for a streaming service. It seems like the sort of movie A24 might pick up, for example. 

On the subject of A24, they're also making the stop-motion/live-action hybrid movie Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, which honestly looks adorable. Of course, Marcel seems aimed at a much younger audience than most of what A24 makes, but if they're distributing animated movies now, I'm willing to bet it's only a matter of time before they put a PG-13 or R-rated one out in theaters. Offbeat movies aimed at adult audiences are kind of their thing, after all.

The question is whether they'll do it before a major studio (at this point, almost certainly Sony) does. Either way, I cautiously predict a successful theatrical adult animated drama film within the next decade. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

6 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

I'm also curious about the upcoming animated adaptation of The Great Gatsby. It's being produced by DNEG Animation and written by William Joyce. Also, Joyce replied to a tweet claiming he hopes the movie gets a theatrical release. That's no guarantee it will, of course, but he clearly has a vested interest in that happening, and it's not being produced directly for a streaming service. It seems like the sort of movie A24 might pick up, for example. 

On the subject of A24, they're also making the stop-motion/live-action hybrid movie Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, which honestly looks adorable. Of course, Marcel seems aimed at a much younger audience than most of what A24 makes, but if they're distributing animated movies now, I'm willing to bet it's only a matter of time before they put a PG-13 or R-rated one out in theaters. Offbeat movies aimed at adult audiences are kind of their thing, after all.

The question is whether they'll do it before a major studio (at this point, almost certainly Sony) does. Either way, I cautiously predict a successful theatrical adult animated drama film within the next decade. 

The Brad Bird Skydance animated movie will likely be a PG-13 or higher. And it sounds like it's not a comedy either. That might have a shot.

On 2/15/2021 at 9:13 PM, El Squibbonator said:
  • Theatrically released
  • Animated
  • Produced in the United States
  • Financially Successful (at least 2x production budget)
  • Rated PG-13 or R
  • Not a comedy
  • Earns at least $100 million worldwide

Honestly, I don't expect this to ever happen in my lifetime. Like in the next 50 years: Nah.

Inflation though. 🤔

Edited by cannastop

I just don't see this happening, the mainstream opinion of the US is that animation is for kids. and not enough people will take there kids to see it if it's PG-13 or higher and not enough people will watch it with that rating because they will still think it is for kids at least immature adults and will think they are above "animation"  

Unless if they did Stormlight archive as animation, which would be blockbuster worthy and definitely at least PG-13. but I think that is more likely to be adapted as a tv series because the books are soo long. 

Most animation films can be pretty mature, action wise and still get a PG rating is the thing, there was alot of drama, action and even violence in How to Train Your Dragon and they were all still PG.

Legend of Zelda could be adapted as PG-13, but it will almost certainly be PG when it gets made (which seems really really likely now). 

Metroid could be PG-13. but I am not sure it will be animated if it is ever made. and if it were, you could probably do it with a PG rating as well.