The Wild Eric

Nope | Jordan Peele | Keke Palmer, Daniel Kaluuya, Steven Yeun star | July 22, 2022

3 minutes ago, Borf the Borf said:

Arnt you allotted a a single F bomb as long as it isnt used in sexual context or something .  MPAA is really whack 

Edit: can anyone schol me in how to add a nre wreply into a post as an aedit so i dont double post like this, i tried. 

Yes, but why are we assuming Nope has only a single use of "fuck?"

26 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

When is the last time we had a truly good alien invasion film? Signs almost hit the mark. Mars Attacks, despite the cult following, was only halfway decent. Independence Day is the same as Mars Attacks. District 9 isn't really an alien invasion film.

Arrival 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Deadline give a 50m opening prediction and usually they lowball their prediction so that you know just how bad LY turns out to be when it even missed their estimate. 

Thor missed it too ($145-155m). 

Starts at 100% on the first page of Rotten Tomatoes. 

Edited by Krissykins

“Us” was tracking at $35-40m apparently. 

Universal will be happy with a debut around $50m according to Variety. 

Few mistakes in this article:

$275m would be great for a $68m film, 3.75x its budget from theatrical alone doesn’t happen often, outside of the horror genre (of course).

They’ve mixed up the “excellent” and “tapped out” for Get Out & Us. 

Still my confusion, if Nope is divisively positive, then why the late embargo lift?  If this is due to spoiler concern, then why the overseas delay? Not even VFX concern can explain the delay.

Anyway, this is hinting a successful opening. If the twist or whatever that trigger the spoiler concern work, the opening will be somewhere between GO and Us and similar to leg, expect some multiplier between GO and US.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Still my confusion, if Nope is divisively positive, then why the late embargo lift?  If this is due to spoiler concern, then why the overseas delay? Not even VFX concern can explain the delay.

Anyway, this is hinting a successful opening. If the twist or whatever that trigger the spoiler concern work, the opening will be somewhere between GO and Us and similar to leg, expect some multiplier between GO and US.

Almost definitely late VFX/final cut.

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Get and Us had very different paths ($33M OW vs $71M) to nearly the same endpoint ($176M vs $171M), so a multiplier in-between is a pretty wide range 

I’d start with Us and adjust from there, expecting better legs given differing release and overall calendar 

Getting the feeling there’s going to be a decent gap between how critics feel about Nope, and how it plays to/is received by the GA 

If so, doesn’t necessarily mean poor legs, as a slump in one part of the audience (horror/thriller fans) can be somewhat offset by drawing in less traditional viewers of the genre, who are drawn in by more review-centric WOM

• Like 2