Eric Atreides

Nope | Jordan Peele | Keke Palmer, Daniel Kaluuya, Steven Yeun star | July 22, 2022

Pretty amazing. Recency bias and all I'd call it Peele's best quite and the most surprising/refreshing movie of the year so far. 

It's a shame here it opened yesterday and it wasn't marketed at all despite being in many screens. I'm pretty sure they dumped it because they knew that it would be everywhere to "buy" today legally or not.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's funny the way the posts in this thread got a lot more positive once this started opening internationally. saw it a week and a half ago and thinking on it in that time it's my favourite movie of the year so far.

I'm on the same page with it being my favourite of the year so far.

I've actually been back to see it a couple more times in IMAX because there's absolutely nothing else out at the moment and it just solidified it, I fell in love with it more and more. 

• Like 1

I need to watch this again - I found it very interesting but I also believe the first hour is superior to the second. There's a lot to unpack but I don't feel this was on the level of Us for sure. A lot of interesting ideas but some of them were shoehorned with the subtlety of a jackhammer. 

Keke was amazing - and I loved the design of the

alien

. I just wish we had seen more of it even though I know full well that was not the point of the movie. Will rewatch again soon enough but I do think the film could have gone a lot deeper on how humans treat animals whereas it mostly focused on the obsession humans have with spectacle. 

At the end of the day, Peele has quickly become one of my favorite filmmakers. Not all the ideas blend in seamlessly here, and there is a pacing issue for sure, but it does tell you something and I was a huge fan of the visuals. 

This was not a horror film by any stretch of the imagination, but I nearly shat myself at the scene with the kids. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's funny the way the posts in this thread got a lot more positive once this started opening internationally. saw it a week and a half ago and thinking on it in that time it's my favourite movie of the year so far.

We just have better taste I guess lol

• Like 3

The UFO UAP designer did some interviews a while back where he basically said there's a lot of cut scenes and implied a possible directors cut. I'll see if I can find the quote. 

EDIT:

The full interview has lots of major spoilers so only click if you've seen the film. I've isolated the relevant quote. 

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/nope-movie-ufo-design

I hope there'll be a director's cut later on, because there's some really cool scenes outside of what you see in the two-hour six-minute runtime theater version, that I think are also really awesome. They said they think that might happen. I'm not going to speak on behalf of them.

Edited by FilmFincher

Loved this. I didn't read the reactions when it came out in the U.S., because I was avoiding spoilers, so I don't understand why headlines were claiming the movie would be divisive. It has a lot of social commentary, but I think it also works as a straight up genre movie if one is not interested in thinking much. There was some weirdness that could be a bit confusing, but overall a very entertaining and satisfying experience. The way people were saying it would be controversial, I was expecting a The Village-like twist. Might be my favorite Jordan Peele movie so far, and I really like Get Out and Us. Keke Palmer was phenomenal - funny, relatable and made me cry at the end.

• Like 2