Eric Duncan

Nope | Jordan Peele | Keke Palmer, Daniel Kaluuya, Steven Yeun star | July 22, 2022

20 minutes ago, grim22 said:

As pointed out by @Deep Wang, this feels like the Shyamalan route

1. Well received leggy thriller which gets an Oscar nomination

2. A well reviewed movie which audiences didn't connect with and underwhelmed to expectations

3. ALIENS

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Looks like a fresh and unusual take on the "alien invasion" genre. Appreciate Peele really expanding his scope.

Peele's films rarely end up going the obvious route. I feel like they want us to think aliens, but it'll actually be something else in the end. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, grim22 said:

As pointed out by @Deep Wang, this feels like the Shyamalan route

1. Well received leggy thriller which gets an Oscar nomination

2. A well reviewed movie which audiences didn't connect with and underwhelmed to expectations

3. ALIENS

If this is Jordan Peele’s Signs, then my excitement just went up another notch. I love Signs.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, PenguinXXR said:

Peele's films rarely end up going the obvious route. I feel like they want us to think aliens, but it'll actually be something else in the end. 

this can be a good thing but also a bad thing. He overthought Us and overreached with "social experiment gone wrong" which retroactively rendered the movie a nonsense. If it took a more expected route perhaps it would have worked better. It did while doppelgangers were a mystery and more about personal revenge than worldwide takeover. I'm a big fan of Us despite flaws (or maybe because of them - it makes you think and that's a good thing) but I understand why it didn't connect. 

Too early to call Nope Signs or any other Shyalaman movie. This was more of a teaser. The hook will likely come with the next trailer. 

Sign me up.

‘Get Out’ was excellent, but it is ‘Us’ that really enthralled me: both layered and thoughtful, and entertaining and visually captivating horror. Lupita Nyong’o genuinely deserved a Best Actress Oscar nomination for her performance. The characterizations of Adelaide and Red were so complete and well done that they felt like different actresses. 

So, I’m ready to experience anything from Jordan Peele.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Signs is the best M. Night movie by a million miles and one of the better blockbuster films of the last 20 years, so pretty shocked to see that being used as an insult!

Ehh, I like it too, but that's more mid-tier in my Shyamalan rankings. Sixth Sense will forever be his best one (everything about that movie is handcrafted to pure perfection IMO), and The Village is still something that still gives me the chills. I'm also obsessed with the Unbreakable trilogy, even though I know most people think Split and Glass stink on ice.

Signs is one where the script never feels as cohesive as it could have been and a lot of the "big ideas" that are in most Shyamalan movies don't feel as profound as his other works. Pretty cool setpieces though.

More interested in what phrases will be introduced into the cultural lexicon more than the actual movie at this point. From "Sunken Place" to "Tethered", what are we getting this time? I don't doubt it will be at least layered and thoughtful.

Edited by Morieris

4 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Sign me up.

‘Get Out’ was excellent, but it is ‘Us’ that really enthralled me: both layered and thoughtful, and entertaining and visually captivating horror. Lupita Nyong’o genuinely deserved a Best Actress Oscar nomination for her performance. The characterizations of Adelaide and Red were so complete and well done that they felt like different actresses. 

So, I’m ready to experience anything from Jordan Peele.

Peace,

Mike

Lupita Nyong'o was robbed of a Best Actress nomination - her performance was one of the best of the year. I also agree that while I did find Get Out really good...it was Us that was a masterpiece to me. 

Amy Adams missing out on a Best Actress for Arrival is the only worse sin in the Best Actress category in recent memory. 

• Like 2