Eric Atreides

Nope | Jordan Peele | Keke Palmer, Daniel Kaluuya, Steven Yeun star | July 22, 2022

Yeah... I still have sky high interest but more hook revealed in the second trailer that's been mentioned - capturing a UFO on film - worried me in terms of attracting a large audience. I'm hoping there's a bit more to it than that. I can't imagine there not being a few twists. It's Peele's M.O so I'm sure there's more to it. Question is... How much more to it?

I thought we'd heard the early test screenings had gone decently for this one?

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

I don't want to get in a long debate on this, but not going to define a spinoff that opened to $51m+ a bomb.  It isn't doing well and won't end up with a good gross, but won't label it a bomb.  

Its overseas results are a disaster - it's a bomb no matter how you slice it.

42 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah... I still have sky high interest but more hook revealed in the second trailer that's been mentioned - capturing a UFO on film - worried me in terms of attracting a large audience. I'm hoping there's a bit more to it than that. I can't imagine there not being a few twists. It's Peele's M.O so I'm sure there's more to it. Question is... How much more to it?

I thought we'd heard the early test screenings had gone decently for this one?

word is the reaction is fairly positive but the CGI was so far from completion that idk what they were actually seeing for most of the climax/ending probably? the one guy who leaked the plot still said they liked it just not as much as peele’s previous films. 

3 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

is this even gonna be R rated?

I assumed so since his previous two movies were but this still isn't rated yet and is clearly much more sci-fi-ish than his other efforts so I wouldn't be surprised if he went for a PG-13 here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I assumed so since his previous two movies were but this still isn't rated yet and is clearly much more sci-fi-ish than his other efforts so I wouldn't be surprised if he went for a PG-13 here.

The movie I heard it compared to the most was Signs so probably PG 13 sounds right. 

I think the last trailer make it very obvious what the movie is about. I can't believe audiences won't understand that unless it says explicitely "omg it's aliens" in dialogue. 

With that said, yeah the marketing was problematic. Great teaser, the second international trailer is pretty good as well, but the US trailer have some issues. 

I still think it's better than sell a horror movie like the teaser did and alienate the audience, but they need to find a way to market this better. 

Still, i doubt this cost more than 100M and it's still too far, so presales is basically useless. It still have time, and reviews will probably be pretty good which always can help.

Lets not venture into potential spoilers or theories, just in case of spoilers. 

I’ll be having to avoid all discussion as it’s been delayed here in the UK by three full weeks. 

Universal open The Black Phone tomorrow, I’m sure they’ll kick up the marketing for Nope then. 

Early buzz is quite muted but it is not end of the world yet. As long as the review is strong, there is a strong chance to revive its buzz with late marketing push. Any gross above 100m would satisfy me. We need more original hit and this film will need to further prove the amateur filmmaking is still flourishing.  

8 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Early buzz is quite muted but it is not end of the world yet. As long as the review is strong, there is a strong chance to revive its buzz with late marketing push. Any gross above 100m would satisfy me. We need more original hit and this film will need to further prove the amateur filmmaking is still flourishing.  

I think this will do well even if reviews are a tier lower than Us/Get Out. Like even if its just like Candyman, the audience will probably eat it up.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

If it's rated then the movie is probably done or very close to be done. 

Now let's hope the BOP tracking will happen, anything over 50M is good for this.

Probably locked it in before everyone heads off to enjoy the extended holiday weekend coming up.

Imagine the marketing for this will be really stepping up now that it's what Universal is releasing next.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 8:35 AM, Rebeccas said:

word is the reaction is fairly positive but the CGI was so far from completion that idk what they were actually seeing for most of the climax/ending probably? the one guy who leaked the plot still said they liked it just not as much as peele’s previous films. 

Could you message me where the guy leaked the plot, if able to? Thanks!

I'm still hoping the tone is more like the first trailer, or at least like Signs, where there is some humor, but not too much.