129 The Broken Hearts Gallery
130 The Longest War
131 Tommaso
132 Unhinged
  • Like 3

Spoiler

Wonder Woman 1984

Have I watched it? Yes

What do I think the plot is then? Maxwell Lord finds a monkey's paw and Wonder Woman must stop him before the collapse of civilization.

Ef9D9KdXYAIxhhn.jpg

Actual Plot: Diana must contend with a work colleague and businessman, whose desire for extreme wealth sends the world down a path of destruction, after an ancient artifact that grants wishes goes missing.

A divisive movie which I enjoyed well enough. Pedro Pascal was definitely having the most fun of any actor in 2020.

Tomatometer: 60% with 418 reviews

Rankings: 21 lists, 2 number 1 rankings, 6 top 5 rankings. Benefited a lot from being one of the movies a lot of people watched.

BOT User Reviews:

don't know if this was because this was the first major blockbuster I watched since last December (and lets face it, the movie being referenced here... wasn't great), but I had a huge grin on my face the ENTIRE runtime of Wonder Woman 1984. I felt so happy and joyful watching it. Gal Gadot returns as the titular hero in the much waited sequel and she is better than ever. She is naturally charming and lovely and encapsules what being Wonder Woman is all about. She also shows major improvement in her acting since the early days in BvS.

wonder-woman-1984-poster-1606931235.jpg

Chris Pine returns as the love interest. Again the natural charm of the actor immediatly wins everyone over and both he and Gal Gadot have a fantastic chemistry on screen and a ton of fun scenes together. There are also some awe-inspiring scenes like the one in the jet with the fireworks which works perfectly. Both also have the most emotional scene of the movie that made me tear up a bit. 

giphy.gif

Pedro Pascal gives us a byblical performance for the ages. I wonder if the man is even being payed at all. I probably have never seen someone enjoying a role so much. He is shining and loving every moment he is in it. He is at the same time enchanting with his personal drama and reasons and terrifying as his plans go off the rails and threaten the whole planet.

Wonder-Woman-1984-Character-Posters.jpg

The weakest link is Kristen Wiig's Cheetah, which is a solid secondary character that many people can identify with, but unfortunately the final transformation doesn't get much of a spotlight, serving mostly for Wonder Woman to have a fight before the final confrontation with Pascal's Maxwell Lord. Her scene at the White House is all kinds of badass, tho.

giphy.gif

However, all the characters have valid reasons for what they are doing and why they are doing. All of them are very well developed and all have standout moments which I can't say for 90% of the other superhero movies.

giphy.gif

Patty Jenkins once again directs the hell out of this, after an already fantastic first movie, and this time she gets to have a small scale climax which plays much better than the CGI overload in the first movie. The soundtrack was goddamn fantastic and helped carry the movie to an even highler level for me. It just simply worked. Every moment was accompanied with the perfect soundtrack and made every scene even better and more complete.

5866ea6d9b7609036cd80489be00e836c06bb360

The final 30 minutes are emotional, epic and also full of hope for a better tomorrow. The combination of the fantastic cast, tremendous soundtrack and stunning visuals created a tremendous ending, which is helped by the previously mentioned small scale. Hope we all need right now.

giphy.gif

To see a movie of this size and scope once again in theaters was the peak of my year. I loved it. I am totally overselling this movie but I loved it. It is my favorite movie of the year and one of my favorite theatrical experiences ever. If this is the last big budget spectacle I watched in theaters, it ended with a bang.

@CJohn

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 3

Spoiler

First Cow

Have I watched it? NO

What do I think the plot is then? It is 2018, and the Democrats realize that no man or woman can take down Trump in the 2020 election, so they decide to run a cow against Trump. After a hard fought campaign the cow wins and becomes the First Cow. Kamala Harris is still VP in this timeline. Features Joe Biden saying the immortal line "Nowhere in the constitution does it say that a cow cannot become President" to convince democratic primary delegates to vote for the cow.

MV5BMGUzMGEzM2UtMDg2Ny00Yjk1LTgxMTctMWI1

Actual Plot: A skilled cook has traveled west and joined a group of fur trappers in Oregon, though he only finds true connection with a Chinese immigrant also seeking his fortune. Soon the two collaborate on a successful business.

Safe to say I was way off the mark. Not sure what to make of the trailer and plot though.

Tomatometer: 95% with 165 reviews

Rankings: 17 lists, 2 number 1 rankings, 3 top 5 rankings. 

BOT User Reviews:

None

• Like 11
  • Disbelief 1

Spoiler

The Gentlemen

Have I watched it? NO

What do I think the plot is then? A lot of very British gangsters are all planning the exact same heist, and hijinks ensue.

movieposter_en.jpg

Actual Plot: An American expat tries to sell off his highly profitable marijuana empire in London, triggering plots, schemes, bribery and blackmail in an attempt to steal his domain out from under him.

Going to give my description a "close enough". This was probably the first release of 2020, which makes it feel like it released 7 years ago. The cast looks fun, and Guy Ritchie's style shines through for sure.

Tomatometer: 75% with 269 reviews

Rankings: 23 lists, 0 number 1 rankings, 10 top 5 rankings. 

BOT User Reviews:

This was pretty good, not Guy Ritchie's best but if you liked his early work, you'll have a blast.  @Jonwo

This was fantastic. Guy Ritchie back to his roots and on fine form. 

Yes, Hugh Grant is a highlight.  As a matter of fact the whole cast is also great.  @DeeCee

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

I thought Gentleman was 2019.

WW84 in Top 20. And over Onward. UGH.

May be total points isn't the right way to do this. May be % of total points possible with say minimum 5 votes. Like Another Round will rightly much higher.

Edit: Wiki and IMDb list The Gentleman weirdly a 2019 film, despite it releasing every where in 2020.

Edited by jatvision
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jatvision said:

I thought Gentleman was 2019.

WW84 in Top 20. And over Onward. UGH.

May be total points isn't the right way to do this. May be % of total points possible with say minimum 5 votes. Like Another Round will rightly much higher.

Edit: Wiki and IMDb list The Gentleman weirdly a 2019 film, despite it releasing every where in 2020.

IMDB’s dumb because they just use whatever’s entered as the first screening as the release date — in this case the London premiere was in December 2019. 

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, jatvision said:

As long as the top 5 in a 5-movie list can get the same # of points as the top 5 in a 25-movie list, the results are gonna be goofy and largely meaningless. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

As long as the top 5 in a 5-movie list can get the same # of points as the top 5 in a 25-movie list, the results are gonna be goofy and largely meaningless. 

Can be solved by giving points weight to number of films submited.

Points given for say 1st is 25, 2nd is 15 and 3-5 is 10.

If someone send 25 films, points remains same i.e. 25, 15, 10 and so on.

But say someone send 10 films, points be

1st = 25 * 10/25 = 10 points
2nd = 15 * 10/25 = 6 points

3-5 = 10 * 10/25 = 4 points.

If someone send 1 film

1st = 25 * 1/25 = 1 point

Edited by jatvision

1 hour ago, jatvision said:

Can be solved by giving points weight to number of films submited.

Points given for say 1st is 25, 2nd is 15 and 3-5 is 10.

If someone send 25 films, points remains same i.e. 25, 15, 10 and so on.

But say someone send 10 films, points be

1st = 25 * 10/25 = 10 points
2nd = 15 * 10/25 = 6 points

3-5 = 10 * 10/25 = 4 points.

If someone send 1 film

1st = 25 * 1/25 = 1 point

I will never do this because if someone feels strongly enough about a movie to rank it #1, then it deserves the full points. Doing anything else would be discriminating against them. 

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Giving less points because someone watched less movies is the goofy and largely meaningless bit. Someone's opinion doesn't count for more if they watched more movies. I'm sorry the lists are not living up to your sophisticated tastes, you can just ignore it instead of proving just how above the entire thing you are.