28. Never Rarely Sometimes Always

29. The King of Staten Island

30. Portrait of a lady on fire

31. Trial of the Chicago 7

32. Let them all talk

33. The Assistant 

34. Mank

35. Small Axe: Red, White and Blue

the #1 and #2 movies were the only ones to be on 40 or more lists, and got the most and second most #1 votes. They won with both broad support and strong support.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 4

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Here's 26-35

26. Wendy

27. The Nest

28. Never Rarely Sometimes Always

29. The King of Staten Island

30. Portrait of a lady on fire

31. Trial of the Chicago 7

32. Let them all talk

33. The Assistant 

34. Mank

35. Small Axe: Red, White and Blue

the #1 and #2 movies were the only ones to be on 40 or more lists, and got the most and second most #1 votes. They won with both broad support and strong support.

Where is 36-80?

Spoiler

Soul

Have I watched it? Yes

What do I think the plot is then? Musician falls down a manhole and becomes a blue soul trapped in purgatory.

p_disney_soul_20263_eac955fc.jpeg

Actual Plot: After landing the gig of a lifetime, a New York jazz pianist suddenly finds himself trapped in a strange land between Earth and the afterlife.

Soul is Pixar's better movie of 2020, and will likely end up winning best animated movie everywhere this year as well. Pete Docter continues his hot streak with animation as well.

Tomatometer: 95% with 324 reviews

Rankings: 40 lists, 7 number 1 rankings, 29 top 5 rankings. 

BOT User Reviews:

Well, I ugly cried at that. I’m still digesting it. But the short of it is: the animation looks stunning, the concept art is gorgeous, and the story is classic Pixar that makes you ugly cry. I was also impressed with the confidence they had to create such an adult movie. @Wondy

Pete Doctor has become the most reliable director working for Pixar today, and he's delivered easily their best movie since...his previous movie, Inside Out...with his latest, Soul. While even lesser efforts from the studio tend to be at least enjoyable (like Onward), the absolute best ones from them make the viewer actually feel something, and they show they haven't lost any of their power here. This is a movie that makes observations about the value of life far more complex than one would expect from something that would've been marketed as a major children's attraction (had unfortunate circumstances not caused a change in how it was released into the world) in a way that feels organic and not at all condescending. But not just that, it's also a wonderful adventure full of warmth, laughs, terrific voice performances (Jamie Foxx and Tina Fey provide plenty of personality to some of the more memorable characters in the studio's history), a memorable Reznor/Ross score, and the level of dazzling animation we expect nothing less of from Pixar (there's never been a better animated replication of NYC than the one depicted here). This would've been a treat to see on the big screen. Coming at the end of a year that has provided plenty with an existential crisis, here is the one movie that reminds us all of the wonders of life itself. A @filmlover

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Spoiler

Tenet

Have I watched it? Yes

What do I think the plot is then? A big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey happenings to save the past from the future through a conduit in the present. Also, Russian Kenneth Branagh

91oMmAPaaeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Actual Plot: Armed with only one word, Tenet, and fighting for the survival of the entire world, a Protagonist journeys through a twilight world of international espionage on a mission that will unfold in something beyond real time.

Tenet was a movie which was looking like a letdown for me personally an hour into the movie, then the movie inverted and was just relentless from that point forward. A movie I have rewatched 3 times since. Good performances by John David Washington, Branagh and Elizabeth Debicki and a scene stealing performance by Pattinson returning to blockbusters added together made this one of the best movie experiences of 2020 and BOT's #1 movies of the year

In case, you are inverted

raey eht fo seivom 1# s'TOB dna 0202 fo secneirepxe eivom tseb eht fo eno siht edam rehtegot dedda sretsubkcolb ot gninruter nosnittaP yb ecnamrofrep gnilaets enecs a dna ikcibeD htebazilE dna hganarB ,notgnihsaW divaD nhoJ yb secnamrofrep dooG .ecnis semit 3 dehctawer evah I eivom A .drawrof tniop taht morf sseltneler tsuj saw dna detrevni eivom eht neht ,eivom eht otni ruoh na yllanosrep em rof nwodtel a ekil gnikool saw hcihw eivom a saw teneT

.emit laer dnoyeb gnihtemos ni dlofnu lliw taht noissim a no eganoipse lanoitanretni fo dlrow thgiliwt a hguorht syenruoj tsinogatorP a ,dlrow eritne eht fo lavivrus eht rof gnithgif dna ,teneT ,drow eno ylno htiw demrA :tolP lautcA

hganarB htenneK naissuR ,oslA .tneserp eht ni tiudnoc a hguorht erutuf eht morf tsap eht evas ot sgnineppah yemiw-yemit ylbbow-ylbbiw fo llab gib A ?neht si tolp eht kniht I od tahW

seY ?ti dehctaw I evaH

Tomatometer: 70% with 340 reviews

Rankings: 45 lists, 10 number 1 rankings, 26 top 5 rankings. 

BOT User Reviews:

Where to start.

The score is tremendous. It will make your hears bleed and it will be amazing, It is a spectacular score that alone justifies going to the theater to see Tenet.

Then we have Kenneth Brannagh playing a WWE villain the entire fucking time upped to 11. I am gonna classify that as something that everyone needs to see. John David Washington was a fantastic protagonist (WINK WINK) and he has a really good humor timing with his lines. Debicki, ATJ and Pattinson were good as well.

The action was truly something else. The final setpiece shows some mad ambition from the MAN Nolan. I will die for this man if I have to. Tears of joy while this was ending and I was collecting my brain parts from the floor. If cinemas do die, they will go out with a bang.

I am yours Nolan. Fuck everything else. @CJohn

Watched a second time, this time with the cinema I went to had the audio properly synced up so I was actually able to watch it. 

Didn't have problems hearing any dialogue and the film was plenty loud and bass-ey, didn't seem like anything was neutered. 

Really loved the film, it is a straight up spy film and akin to an American Bond. At it's base level it follows that structure,

Hide contents

there's a few 'we have to break into the thing to get the thing and stopping a ticking time bomb at the end' etc.

That familiarity I think is what lets Nolan put the time inversion aspect on-top which makes for some really fun and inventive action sequences (Albeit a bit overhyped, Dunkirk definitely has his most impressive set-pieces, you can't beat the areal combat).

Hide contents

The time inversion also allow for inventive storytelling devices when things are revealed at the end. I loved the idea of a time pincer movement when it came to how the action was staged as well. I also loved the implications of how the Neil/Protagonist relationship works, it's very similar to River/Doctor in Doctor Who. 

I felt I grasped everything on my first watch, the second just made certain scenes that much more rewarding. I think even if you don't grasp everything you can enjoy it at that base level of a spy film. But my excitement and investment definitely rose when the time inversion aspect took a bit more of a centre stage and things starting coming together. 

I supposed the film rests on wether or not you're going to follow John David Washington as this guy sent on a mission without any emotional investment, similar to pre-Craig Bond film. I found Washington charming and charismatic enough to carry you through the film in that way, it felt very classic movie star-esque. 

Ludwig's score was pretty good, I found it weaker than the Zimmer scores of Nolan films, the action was just as propulsive but it needed more heart.  

The cinematography and sound design are stellar, I love how much was in 70MM IMAX (which is how I saw it the first time when the audio was not it sync), the scale of certain sequences such as the third act and plane sequence just made me giddy, I had a smile on my face the whole time because it was just such impressive filmmaking. 

Most of the actors do a stellar job, Debicki who I've loved since Widows is the emotional core and does a great job selling it, Pattinson is the most fun and I'm a firm defender of Aaron Taylor Johnson who also does great in his smaller role. They all bring a lot more humanity than what's on paper and I think their chemistry together is what carries you through all the plot. The only one I'm not too sure about is Branagh, I like he's a straight up villain and his petty motivations but he plays it too much like a classic Bond villain, it gets a bit too hammy and shouty at times. 

My other complaint would be a few times Nolan spends too much dialogue on things that ultimately don't matter (pondering questions of paradoxes etc.), those scenes drag a little and there's some ideas hinted at that I would have loved to see explored further.

But overall I thought it was great, maybe 5th or 6th in the grand scheme of Nolan films, The Dark Knight, Inception, Memento and Dunkirk are definitely my favourites, the others are a bit mix and match and Tenet falls somewhere in that middle section. 

8.5/10 @FilmFincher

I loved it. Still processing everything but the set pieces were amazing, score was great, and John David Washington and Robert Pattinson were fantastic. It's definitely Nolan's most ambitious venture, and the craft behind this is too damn good not to appreciate. The third act might be the best big budget climactic chaos I've seen.

I see why a few critics and audiences are a bit disenchanted. If you went into this expecting a sleeper sequel to Inception I could definitely see those people being disappointed. The two films are extremely different and I get the idea comparing them was mostly just hype/promoting. @Mango

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 3
  • Knock It Off 1

For the record, I only submitted:

1. Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

2. Soul

3. Let Them All Talk

4. The Prom

Since nothing else I watched this year remotely counted, and Nomadland (WHICH IS THE BEST FILM) was DQ'd.

• Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

20 minutes ago, Wondy said:

For the record, I only submitted:

1. Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

2. Soul

3. Let Them All Talk

4. The Prom

Since nothing else I watched this year remotely counted, and Nomadland (WHICH IS THE BEST FILM) was DQ'd.

you killed wendy :(

• Sad 1

lmao I knew it was inevitable Nolan's most divisive movie even among his fanbase to date would take the top spot, especially in a year virtually without movies. Even when WB's apparently now ex-BFF (sure) loses, he still wins.

Meh. Good for the movie that it didn't die for nothing, I guess.

Pretty good list overall. Glad to see Emma. in the top 10. Remember after seeing it as one the last movies I saw in theaters right before the world fell apart (lol has it really already been almost a year?) thinking it would go down as one of the more overlooked movies of the year but as it turns out would end up becoming one of the more praised. Thank you COVID-19 for giving us one completely trivial positive? :lol:

• Like 1