cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

13 hours ago, poweranimals said:

How are they not tied to each other when people were turned off of Shazam 2 because they knew a reboot for DC is coming? The very fact that it's a DC movie is working against it. 

.Shazam 2 was such a disaster that it would have been a box office bomb even if it grossed twice the amount....... when you are a bomb of such level the reason for failure goes beyond 1-2 reasons.

In the first place very few people in the general public knows a DC reboot is coming or care much about it, they would have watched Shazam 2 if it interested them. Except it didn't.

1 hour ago, scytheavatar said:

.Shazam 2 was such a disaster that it would have been a box office bomb even if it grossed twice the amount....... when you are a bomb of such level the reason for failure goes beyond 1-2 reasons.

In the first place very few people in the general public knows a DC reboot is coming or care much about it, they would have watched Shazam 2 if it interested them. Except it didn't.

I don't think that it's just the reboot factor. Reaction to DC as a whole has been sort of divisive.  And now Marvel is starting to take a hit as well. It's not really a great sign for the future of the genre.

7 hours ago, poweranimals said:

I don't think that it's just the reboot factor. Reaction to DC as a whole has been sort of divisive.  And now Marvel is starting to take a hit as well. It's not really a great sign for the future of the genre.

The whole genre is in trouble because poorly reviewed films of two D-list superheroes failed? Sure.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

The whole genre is in trouble because poorly reviewed films of two D-list superheroes failed? Sure.

The fact that these studios have been reduced to scrapping the bottom of the barrel and wasting time on D-list superheroes shows how the whole genre is in trouble........ there's not that many A-list superheroes out there and making more GotG is easier said than done.

That said I have always maintained that Warner should have prioritized a Static Shock movie over a Blue Beetle movie.... Virgil's superpowers are flashy and the potential for great visual effects and cinematography are off the charts. On the other hand it will be hard for the general public not to conclude Blue Beetle is super derivative and basically Spiderman + Ironman + Venom ripoff.

12 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

The fact that these studios have been reduced to scrapping the bottom of the barrel and wasting time on D-list superheroes shows how the whole genre is in trouble........ there's not that many A-list superheroes out there and making more GotG is easier said than done.

That said I have always maintained that Warner should have prioritized a Static Shock movie over a Blue Beetle movie.... Virgil's superpowers are flashy and the potential for great visual effects and cinematography are off the charts. On the other hand it will be hard for the general public not to conclude Blue Beetle is super derivative and basically Spiderman + Ironman + Venom ripoff.

Blue Beetle's powers are much cooler than Static's.

Superhero films aren't dying, that's just hyperbole

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Blue Beetle's powers are much cooler than Static's.

Superhero films aren't dying, that's just hyperbole

And Static Shock is even less well known to non geeks then Blue Beetle.

Dying might be hyperbole. but there is no doubt that Mainstream movie goers seem to have a case of burnout when it comes to Superheros. A few will still make big bucks...Spidey:NWH and The Batman...but a lot will not do well at the box office.

Fatigue has definently set in.

36 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Static Shock is even less well known to non geeks then Blue Beetle.

Right now? I would guess more people know Static Shock as there was an animated series that ran from 2000-2004 based solely on Static and he crossed over into Justice League Unlimited which was very popular at the time. 

In a few months time though once Blue Beetle releases that will likely change. If we are talking shocking omissions from DC filmography Teen Titans (I'm not counting the animated spinoff film) has to be one of the strangest to not have been done given the popularity of the team in both comics and TV. 

2 hours ago, belblazer said:

A few brazilian journalists have seen the trailer and they said it's great and VERY comic accurate. Lots of compliments to his armor and Bruna has a lot of scenes too.

Don't know if it's gonna be the same we will see on Monday.

That trailer better be a good one, because not enough people know about Blue Beetle to care or even notice if it’s comic accurate. 

I think this is doomed as well. 

33 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am not a huge fan of teaser for a trailer. That said this movie will be very niche. Unless they do a cameos galore and tie it to DCU, I dont see much hope for this movie. Not in 2023 when Audience are not that eager to come in just because its a SH movie. 

If this movie is gonna succeed it’s gonna do so on its own merits. Tie ins(or cameos) don’t matter for DC movies, just look at how showing Wonder Woman in the Shazam promos did nothing and as much as the rock hyped up Superman look at what that did? Barely nothing, black adam did barely more than the first Shazam domestically. And the folks who do follow these movies know about Gunns new plans so they’ll wait to see the trailers and wait for reactions.

People are either either gonna like the trailer and be interested or they won’t. It’s obvious WB was trying to attract a certain demographic (beyond superhero fans)for this movie when they green lit it. We’ll see if it works out. 

Edited by cax16