cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I couldn't verify because his account is private, but fans are reporting that the director responded:

F2TDe28W0AAI4m-?format=jpg&name=small

F2TDfHhXAAAjzBD?format=jpg&name=small

James Gunn also retweeted. We'll finally achieve peace in the DCEU/DCU fandom? :bravo:

Edited by Napoleon

11 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Best strategy (IMO) is to shed the remaining DCEU inventory (Aquaman, BB), collect whatever boxoffice revenue they accrue, wait a few years, and start anew. Not sure that we've hit rock bottom yet. 

Isn’t that exactly what they’re doing?

And if they’re rebooting then they’re definitely at rock bottom. The highest-grossing DCEU project since 2018 was Black Adam with a little under 400M, and that probably would’ve made less money if The Rock hadn’t starred in it. They pushed The Flash super hard and that couldn’t even cross 300M.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Arlborn said:

This movie would have looked awesome right around the time the first few MCU movies were coming out. Now unfortunately it just looks generic. Still should be fun for someone like me, but forgettable 

Yeah this looks like a SH movie that belongs in the late 2000's - early 2010's. Would likely have done well during those time frames also. Now it looks like a generic SH movie like Shazam 2, Flash or The Marvels

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Yeah this looks like a SH movie that belongs in the late 2000's - early 2010's. Would likely have done well during those time frames also. Now it looks like a generic SH movie like Shazam 2, Flash or The Marvels

It actually looks way more generic than any of those you listed(although I don't think The Marvels look as generic as you claim but I digress), because it looks like it is a very typical origin story that has been played out a dozen times in the last decade on the big screen.

I think we are all a little (or very) bored of those origin stories. He just looks like another Iron Man wannabe to me. And I'm the target audience who will eventually watch it and probably enjoy it for what it is...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arlborn said:

It actually looks way more generic than any of those you listed(although I don't think The Marvels look as generic as you claim but I digress), because it looks like it is a very typical origin story that has been played out a dozen times in the last decade on the big screen.

I think we are all a little (or very) bored of those origin stories. He just looks like another Iron Man wannabe to me. And I'm the target audience who will eventually watch it and probably enjoy it for what it is...

I think origin stories can work better for TV shows because there’s more time and space to flesh them out beyond the common tropes. When you only have two hours it’s a little dull and played-out.

The only problem is that you have to introduce new characters to an audience if you don’t want to make movies about the same few well-known superheroes forever.

This does look like a pretty standard superhero origin story, but I don’t think I’d go so far as to say it looks like something from the late 2000s. It looks more like a pastiche of superhero origins from the 2010s, including the family theme of the Shazam movies. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

On 7/30/2023 at 9:49 AM, SpiderByte said:

I'm very curious as to what the Snyder fans reaction will be now lol

I want to know what they,,and SNyder think about a certain joke in 'Barbie".

Edited by dudalb

43 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I think origin stories can work better for TV shows because there’s more time and space to flesh them out beyond the common tropes. When you only have two hours it’s a little dull and played-out.

The only problem is that you have to introduce new characters to an audience if you don’t want to make movies about the same few well-known superheroes forever.

Problem is they want to make a full scale production out of every origin story.

You can have the origin of the hero in the first fifteen minutes..must explain how he or she got their powers, set up the charecters and then have a story with no direct connection to  the origin story.

10 hours ago, dudalb said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I want to know what they,,and SNyder think about a certain joke in 'Barbie".

That seems like a boring question. People generally dislike being mocked or being the butt of jokes so the question is if they put on a happy face about being mocked and laugh it off or put on a grumpy face. 

So I got the chance to see this one last night, I'm mexican and let me tell you that Angel Manuel really captured so well the mexicanity in the film, it felt like a mexican movie and there's a lot of cultural references that it honestly felt good to see your culture being mentioned and referenced so well.

So the movie is cool, way better than both Shazam films, Black Adam, BOP, WW84, SS, and even Aquaman (in some ways, not in scale and epic final fight, but way better in the characters and script), this didn't had cringe/forced lines or moments like The Flash had here and there.

It doesn't have any reference to the Snyderverse (like Shazam or Black Adam) and neither to the Gunnverse (TSS, Peacemaker) and the film that reminded me the most was Spider-man (2002) with the family bit, the origin story and whatever. It's also very lore heavy in the blue beetle DC Comics front. Also a little bit like Coco because but reflect so well the family dynamics of a mexican family and this one has strong supporting actors like Uncle Rudy, Nana (Grandma) and his father.

Overall it was great and people clapped and cheered in the end, there's two post credits scenes, and this was my favorite vs all the latest offerings of DC, there's a cool battle in the end and I really could see why James Gunn saved this one for his universe, the trailers do not make this justice; I could see this doing well in Latin America and some Asian markets, also maybe latinos could show up in the US, not I don't know about Europe.

Can't wait for you guys to see this one because I have a lot of questions and things I want to exchange and also touch on the topics that this film does. 

• Like 4
  • Heart 1