cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

2 hours ago, HummingLemon said:

What? You're telling me you don't wanna see more of such amazing smash-hit characters like Shazam, Black Adam, and Blue Beetle?

If all DC has to offer is Batman and his cast of characters then they should just stop and throw in the towel. 

As for me, I’d love to see more Shazam, Black Adam and especially Blue Beetle. Those are cool characters whose potential was squandered by a bad shared universe. 

oh well, at least Xolo is returning and maybe he’ll get another shot with a series on Max or a team up film (Titans/Young Justice). His reach storyline is too good not to adapt! Scarab Wars looks to be a banger as well 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, El Gato said:

If all DC has to offer is Batman and his cast of characters then they should just stop and throw in the towel. 

As for me, I’d love to see more Shazam, Black Adam and especially Blue Beetle. Those are cool characters whose potential was squandered by a bad shared universe. 

oh well, at least Xolo is returning and maybe he’ll get another shot with a series on Max or a team up film (Titans/Young Justice). His reach storyline is too good not to adapt! Scarab Wars looks to be a banger as well 

That's fair, I'm glad you enjoy these characters (sorry for sounding like an asshole in my comment)

I guess I was kinda speaking more in a box office way. As you said, I feel like these characters could've have been more successful if the DCEU was a stronger franchise

6 hours ago, HummingLemon said:

That's fair, I'm glad you enjoy these characters (sorry for sounding like an asshole in my comment)

I guess I was kinda speaking more in a box office way. As you said, I feel like these characters could've have been more successful if the DCEU was a stronger franchise

Well yes, they were all sadly affected by the mess with the DCU.

I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it again, but Blue Beetle probably gets 400M WW if it was released as a MCU product. I mean, ant-Man 3 did more than that....

Shazam had a lovely thing with heart going on the first movie, then they made a generic monster for the second movie, no idea what happened there to be honest but I doubt the mess the overall DCU is in didn't affect thing, after all I'm sure the original plans for Shazam sequels heavily involved Black Adam and Superman.

Talking about Black Adam, that movie did decently in hindsight, considering its legs were crippled by some horribly mistimed announcements about cancelling the DCU and Henry Cavil as Superman.

So, again, put these characters in a more stable environment and watch them soar.

• Like 1

Blue Beetle will have significantly better legs than Shazam 2. So despite the same CinemaScore, it's clear Blue Beetle has better word of mouth

With Aquaman 2 coming out I would not be shocked if Blue Beetle has the best reception of any DC film this year

Edited by HummingLemon

1 hour ago, HummingLemon said:

Blue Beetle will have significantly better legs than Shazam 2. So despite the same CinemaScore, it's clear Blue Beetle has better word of mouth

With Aquaman 2 coming out I would not be shocked if Blue Beetle has the best reception of any DC film this year

Shazam 2 was awful and the Flash stars a professional criminal. Not a very high bar. 

9 hours ago, HummingLemon said:

Why did you think Shazam 2 was awful? I'm not defending it, I'm just curious. Yeah it's generic as hell but I wouldn't call it downright awful.

I think Shazam 2 and Blue Beetle ended up about the same quality wise, with Blue Beetle having the much higher highs and the much lower lows...as you said, Shazam 2 was generic, so there were no big swings, but just serviceable quality throughout...whereas Blue Beetle tried harder, but that came with bigger success (1st act) and failure (2nd act)...

3 hours ago, Human said:

Shazam 2 was awful because of Levi's awful performance.  Recast him with Asher Angel in a Levi suit and it would have been way better.

One of the most baffling performances of the year esp because Levi is charming in the first film but here? Sticks out like a sore thumb amongst everyone else.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nox said:

With this weekend, Blue Beetle is now likely to overtake Dark Phoenix ($65.9M) and maybe even Morbius ($73.9M) if late legs are good.

Small victories! Make those legs point to it finding an audience on VOD and becoming a true success there 

• Like 1