cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

On 8/30/2023 at 8:13 AM, Arlborn said:

no idea what happened there

I don't think The Rock/universe shenanigans are at fault here. There's clearly a mostly cut Asher Angel subplot about concerns over being cut off from his adopted family when he turns 18 (it's still technically there but only the barest of bones). Seems like film probably wasn't testing amazingly and they chose to focus on generic superhero action and Freddy-Zegler relationship gets most of the remaining personal scenes. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 2

On 9/3/2023 at 7:59 PM, HummingLemon said:

Is $150M+ WW back on the table after this hold?

Looking at international numbers, I am not sure. Even if it gets to 75M domestically, It seems like it has to work a lo to get to 75M OS from where it is, but I could be wrong there. Brazil is the only OS market that seems to be really into this movie, @ThatWaluigiDudeis saying in the Brazil thread that it could even pass The Flash and WW84 despite opening below them.

On 8/30/2023 at 5:13 AM, Arlborn said:

Well yes, they were all sadly affected by the mess with the DCU.

I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it again, but Blue Beetle probably gets 400M WW if it was released as a MCU product. I mean, ant-Man 3 did more than that....

Shazam had a lovely thing with heart going on the first movie, then they made a generic monster for the second movie, no idea what happened there to be honest but I doubt the mess the overall DCU is in didn't affect thing, after all I'm sure the original plans for Shazam sequels heavily involved Black Adam and Superman.

Talking about Black Adam, that movie did decently in hindsight, considering its legs were crippled by some horribly mistimed announcements about cancelling the DCU and Henry Cavil as Superman.

So, again, put these characters in a more stable environment and watch them soar.

DC has simply been unable to sell it's lesser known charecters in the way that Marvel was able to.  

It's OK to like what you like, but BB is not going to be a sucess.

I suspect that DC will probably just use it's better known charectors for the theatericla films, and use MAX for the lesser known ones.

On 9/2/2023 at 10:45 AM, TheDude391 said:

One of the most baffling performances of the year esp because Levi is charming in the first film but here? Sticks out like a sore thumb amongst everyone else.

I blame the writers are much as Levi for the destruction of the charecter of Shazam/Billy  in the second film. He comes off like a total jerk with no charm. Levi did not have much to work with given what the writers gave him.

People are too quick to put all the blame on the actor and not hold the writers responsible.

A couple people here called SHazam 2 a "Servicible" Super Hero film. In an age of CBM fatigue, servicable is just not going to cut it....though I would not even call Shazam 2 servicable.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

People are too quick to put all the blame on the actor and not hold the writers responsible.

I have not thought of that, but that is because I hear the opposite so much.  Most people are so quick to blame the faceless behind the scenes people instead of the actors.  Just once I want a review to say something like "The actors are terrible, but I think the director and writer did a great job.  They were let down by the actors."  

More seriously I mainly blame Levi since all the other adult actors playing children did much better jobs.  It made Levi look real bad working with them.  Granted, I think none of them were great, and I think Lucy Liu did poorly so it very well might have been bad directing and writing.  I sure did not think the script was good.  When I was thinking of how to make the trailer better I realized I remembered nothing that would make good shots for it.  

2 hours ago, Human said:

I have not thought of that, but that is because I hear the opposite so much.  Most people are so quick to blame the faceless behind the scenes people instead of the actors.  Just once I want a review to say something like "The actors are terrible, but I think the director and writer did a great job.  They were let down by the actors."  

More seriously I mainly blame Levi since all the other adult actors playing children did much better jobs.  It made Levi look real bad working with them.  Granted, I think none of them were great, and I think Lucy Liu did poorly so it very well might have been bad directing and writing.  I sure did not think the script was good.  When I was thinking of how to make the trailer better I realized I remembered nothing that would make good shots for it.  

Actually on this website, I hear just the opposite. The actors gets all the heat, the writer/director  get off easier. It's different on other sites, but here the actors always takes the heat.

Jesse Eissenberg got hell for his Lex Luthor in BvS,and it was a terrible take on the charecter. BUt I blame the writers and SNyder for it am much if not more then Eisenberg, since eisenberg was probably just given them what they wanted. Same for Jared Leto's Joker, it was a horriblem horrible version of the Clown Prince Of Crime, but the writers and director deserve al lot of the blame.

1 hour ago, HummingLemon said:

The DC brand just isn't strong enough to carry D-list properties, especially not now

It never was; it could never oput over a D list the way that Marvel could. People forget the GOTG was pretty obscure before the movie came along.

Of course Marvel cannot always put over D listers....I give you The Eternals as proof.

12 minutes ago, HummingLemon said:

$572K Tuesday

How are the weekend holds so much better than the weekday holds?

Summer is over and kids/young adults are going back to school/college so more business will shift to weekend which will see better drops at the expense of weekdays

1 hour ago, HummingLemon said:

DOM $75M WW $135M probably

Not getting as much OS as domestically always feels sad for a CBM imho, but yeah, audiences worldwide outside of DC fans in Brazil really didn’t care much for it.

It honestly didn’t even register in most people’s radars, and I think that’s what must be frightening DC the most; how unnoticed a would-be blockbuster went by.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Not getting as much OS as domestically always feels sad for a CBM imho, but yeah, audiences worldwide outside of DC fans in Brazil really didn’t care much for it.

It honestly didn’t even register in most people’s radars, and I think that’s what must be frightening DC the most; how unnoticed a would-be blockbuster went by.

DOM is decent but OS is pretty bad. Overall just "meh" not a disaster like Shazam 2/Flash.

6 hours ago, HummingLemon said:

DOM is decent but OS is pretty bad. Overall just "meh" not a disaster like Shazam 2/Flash.

Shazam and BB are just bombs.

Flash is the only disaster.

Shazam 2 is $133M on $125M budget.

BB is $135M on a $104M budget. $18M DOM difference.

Worlds apart from Flash.

• Like 1