Eric Duncan

GOLDEN GLOBES 2021 DISCUSSION THREAD | Nomadland, Borat 2, Andra Day, Chadwick Boseman, SBC, Rosamund Pike win

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That doctors skit was actually sorta amusing. How the hell could you nominate James Corden's embarrassment of a performance when Certified Treasure Andrew Rannells was right there next to him the whole movie, Globes? 

Because the movie completely sidelined Andrew Rannells in a role with no character arc whatsoever. Cordon's character actually had substance - I wish Rannells was cast in Cordon's role instead. For me, I think the role would have resonated a whole lot more. (Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of Cordon to begin with.)

Peace,

Mike

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

lol, Foster honestly has a chance at the 5th spot at this point.

I've had her in fourth at the Oscars for a bit after the Globes noms dropped. This has definitely solidified her considering BAFTA will likely give Mauritanian a lot of nominations.

6 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Because the movie completely sidelined Andrew Rannells in a role with no character arc whatsoever. Cordon's character actually had substance - I wish Rannells was cast in Cordon's role instead. For me, I think the role would have resonated a whole lot more. (Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of Cordon to begin with.)

Peace,

Mike

I mean, yeah, I get why but still annoying that Corden was the movie's only acting nominee when he was surrounded by infinitely more talented actors. That whole movie was a mess that didn't deserve any nominations at all though.

Jodie Foster winning for a movie hardly anyone has heard of certainly throws that category for a loop.

They really loved The Crown.

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol, you're actually right. I think all the films in Drama and Minari are overrated as hell tho. Boring set of contenders this year honestly.

I think Nomadland is probably the only one that would have been there in a normal year. I enjoyed the rest but none of them screamed “awards worthy” to me. I think this years Oscars are going to see record low ratings.

I’d love to have been a fly on the wall when the HFPA members watched Promising Young Woman though. I loved it, but it’s not exactly what I’d expect to pick up awards nominations.

• Like 1

Just now, SnokesLegs said:

I’d love to have been a fly on the wall when the HFPA members watched Promising Young Woman though. I loved it, but it’s not exactly what I’d expect to pick up awards nominations.

PYW honestly felt like a HFPA pick to me (espescially with them going with their performative woke thing) and I would not be surprised if it gets Actress and Picture. 

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

PYW honestly felt like a HFPA pick to me (espescially with them going with their performative woke thing) and I would not be surprised if it gets Actress and Picture. 

Yeah I guess when you look at it like that it ticks all the boxes. I think Frances McDormand has Best Actress in the bag though. Unless they somehow find a way to sneak another actress from The Crown in to the category...

1 minute ago, SnokesLegs said:

Yeah I guess when you look at it like that it ticks all the boxes. I think Frances McDormand has Best Actress in the bag though. Unless they somehow find a way to sneak another actress from The Crown in to the category...

I'm thinking Mulligan takes Actress tbh.