charlie Jatinder

Raya and the Last Dragon International thread.

Just like Tenet this is going to have a very good 2nd weekend hold in NZ due to the Auckland lockdown. 1st weekend will be muted here though.

Hoping the movie can do something like $100-120m OS and around $200m WW full run so maybe i'll guess a $30m OS opening weekend.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I'm gonna wait for the numbers from China/Japan/Korea with a mix of curiosity and anxiety ^^

Hoping for the best!

It’s going to have a flop OW in China. Unless it can have Soul-level reception (unlikely) a total below $10M could be in the cards.   

In Korea the PS are rather low as well.

32 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

It’s going to have a flop OW in China. Unless it can have Soul-level reception (unlikely) a total below $10M could be in the cards.   

In Korea the PS are rather low as well.

I'll only believe it when I see it, after what happened with Soul in particular.

That's a movie that's taylor-made for Asia so there's no reason to think it's gonna flop.

Edited by Fullbuster

4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

That's a movie that's taylor-made for Asia so there's no reason to think it's gonna flop.

Honestly, historically, that is a good reason to think it’s gonna flop 😛   

I still hope it can have great reception and leg somewhere nice.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Westerners generally have no idea what Asian audiences want to see from Hollywood movies. Most of the time these 'tailor-made for Asia movies' flop in Asia because they're blatantly pandering and/or culturally/historically completely inaccurate.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Honestly, historically, that is a good reason to think it’s gonna flop 😛   

I still hope it can have great reception and leg somewhere nice.

I'll believe in that movie till the end, people already told me Soul would flop in Asia, I learned my lesson.

5 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Asia isn't some monolith lol. The Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans aren't gonna watch this movie because its influenced by SEA. This is like saying a movie influenced by Eastern Europe is tailor-made for the English.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

LMAO

Like there's 1.75B people in Asia, who absolutely don't give a shit about it. And that don't include single person from China.

Just because it feature SEA (?) actors doing voiceover and is said to be a film inspired from SEA countries, a part which only makes 15% of Asian population, doesn't make the film "tailor-made" for Asia.

• Like 2

China looks like $800K OD. May be $4.5-7.5M weekend. 

Korea may be $125K OD. 

In one of SEA country Vietnam its currently $940/- on 300 shows approx today. Weekend pre-sales are $1.7K currently.

This is perhaps worst Disney film performance I have ever seen. That includes Nut film which Disney did in 2018 I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, jatvision said:

Few OD numbers

Vietnam $10K (opened #2 behind Tom & Jerry :apocalypse:)

Korea $115K

China final PS $230K. OD may be $700-1000K.

WOM in Korea is just about good. Nothing too crazy, so in all probability it has no chance at $100M.

God Damn. It's opening #2 to Tom & Jerry?! 

3 hours ago, jatvision said:

Currently #9 in Japan. Number too small to project anything , but may be $25k OD.

It doesnt even make sense to go hybrid in japan. Where theaters are fine. 

Edited by Mau

From Corpse:

Unfortunately, Raya and the Last Dragon is a major bomb. It barely made the Top 10 (10th place) for Friday, only grossing around $40,000. It'll do better over the weekend since it skews younger/toward families, but it doesn't look like it has any chance of debuting in the Top 5 and might be closer to 10th than 5th (thinking ~8th right now). Even if it doubles up on Saturday and increases on Sunday, I don't see an opening much higher than $200,000 if it gets there.

It's only playing in 244 locations (~30-40% less than the typical Disney release), largely due to Toho Cinemas (the busiest chain in the country) not playing it. I'm guessing they weren't on board with Disney's Disney+ same-day release and/or Disney's rumored higher share request to play their films now. Also, I didn't check many Movix Cinema locations, but the handful I did also aren't playing Raya.

So Toho and Movix combined account for almost 100 theaters, which would have brought Raya's count up closer to the typical big Disney release. And without Toho Cinemas, your film is pretty much DOA in Japan.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1