charlie Jatinder

Raya and the Last Dragon International thread.

59 minutes ago, PKMLover said:

From Corpse:

Unfortunately, Raya and the Last Dragon is a major bomb. It barely made the Top 10 (10th place) for Friday, only grossing around $40,000. It'll do better over the weekend since it skews younger/toward families, but it doesn't look like it has any chance of debuting in the Top 5 and might be closer to 10th than 5th (thinking ~8th right now). Even if it doubles up on Saturday and increases on Sunday, I don't see an opening much higher than $200,000 if it gets there.

It's only playing in 244 locations (~30-40% less than the typical Disney release), largely due to Toho Cinemas (the busiest chain in the country) not playing it. I'm guessing they weren't on board with Disney's Disney+ same-day release and/or Disney's rumored higher share request to play their films now. Also, I didn't check many Movix Cinema locations, but the handful I did also aren't playing Raya.

So Toho and Movix combined account for almost 100 theaters, which would have brought Raya's count up closer to the typical big Disney release. And without Toho Cinemas, your film is pretty much DOA in Japan.

And in Korea, Raya couldn't beat DS and sitting at number 3. DS have been in cinema since late-Jan. But things could improve over the weekend because the wom is actually quite good.

Edited by Borobudur

Friday

China - $1.38M

Russia - $0.3M

Korea - $0.11M

Taiwan - $0.1M

Japan - $0.04M

Vietnam - $0.02M

Rest is ANZ and SEA countries. About $3M seems right.

As for Saturday, 

China - $3.35M

Russia - $0.9M

Korea - $0.4M

Taiwan - $0.3M

Japan - $0.18M

Vietnam - $0.06M

Hong Kong - $0.06M

In same markets, up by +160%. Probably $7M Saturday.

Weekend should be $15M or so. 

Edited by jatvision
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

This ain't touching Soul's numbers despite Soul barely getting a WW release, LMFAO. 

Disney missed a billion with Soul due to Disney+ release and COVID.

Soul is #1 today in Hong Kong and in Korea and Russia its still in Top 10.

• Sad 1