Eric Atreides

Bros | September 30, 2022 | Universal

Has there ever been worse marketing for a movie?

--Trailer features blow-jobs and talking about being a "bottom"

--Eichner repeatedly tells conservatives "do not see this movie," pretty much eliminating a sizable portion of the possible audience

--The studio push for the movie is "you need to see this, it's good for the cause" like it's a spoonful of awful tasting cough syrup.

--Eichner doubles down after movie has terrible opening and accuses anyone who didn't see the movie of being a "homophobic weirdo."

Funniest thing about Billy Eichner is that he cowardly limits who can respond to his tweets.

• Like 5

On 9/1/2022 at 6:06 AM, filmlover said:

I hope this gets good reviews and does well but Eichner's quote from that interview that's making the rounds where he basically says "my movie was too good for streaming" is pretty damn yikes (not to mention a major slight to all the LGBTQ projects that helped this movie become a reality). How about waiting until you've actually released your work to the world before labeling yourself an important figure and putting yourself in the position of becoming a new addition to the "Aged Like Milk" meme, dude.

18 minutes ago, yankeesfan2021 said:

--Eichner repeatedly tells conservatives "do not see this movie," pretty much eliminating a sizable portion of the possible audience

--The studio push for the movie is "you need to see this, it's good for the cause" like it's a spoonful of awful tasting cough syrup.

--Eichner doubles down after movie has terrible opening and accuses anyone who didn't see the movie of being a "homophobic weirdo."

Funniest thing about Billy Eichner is that he cowardly limits who can respond to his tweets.

Dude, why would conservatives ever show up for this? They threw a fit over two seconds of a gay couple in Lightyear, so they were never going to watch an aggressively gay-themed movie in the first place. Do you seriously believe people whose politics are anti-gay were going to show up all excited, but then didn't because the star said conservative asswipes suck? That makes zero sense.

Also the whole "OMG THEY MADE A BOTTOM JOKE" is just ridiculous. This kind of stuff is no different from any other R-rated sex comedies, but apparently the icky gays suddenly make it worse. Did people throw a fit when American Pie had a whole joke about a teenage boy putting his dick in an apple pie? Or if we're talking recent, did people throw a fit when Good Boys made jokes about tampons and dildos with a bunch of 12-year-olds? Last I checked, that wasn't the case. But no, apparently the mention of the term "bottom" is apparently too prude and horrible for people's minds. Give me a fucking break. 🙄

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, yankeesfan2021 said:

Troll

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Not sure how much I buy the month part, ticket to paradise has been doing quite well internationally and I assume will probably do well domestically as well.

I can think of more January romcoms than October ones, but Ticket to Paradise should be fine. Still, maybe the "groundbreaking" gay movie this time of year could have been a thriller?

So I didn't know everyone was dog-piling on both Bros and Eichner. I didn't know Eichner was that hated to begin with. This is kind of the opposite of the internet response to Ghostbusters bombing or even Charlie's Angels (at the time anyway since now people have changed their opinions on those movies as well).

27 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Some of you all are really exposing yourselves here

Not sure what you imagine is being “exposed” here. If I was to take a guess though, I’d say you’re off the mark — vultures flock to any carcass, but what makes this one somewhat more rubbernecked is the unforced error of star/director engaging with it so hard.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Not sure what you imagine is being “exposed” here. If I was to take a guess though, I’d say you’re off the mark — vultures flock to any carcass, but what makes this one somewhat more rubbernecked is the unforced error of star/director engaging with it so hard.

Ok buddy

I feel like Universal made plenty on mistakes this year with their comedy movies. Marry Me would have open to at least 12M+ and broke even if it was not Day and Date. Easter Sunday should not had moved from April 1 even if it was an Marvel movie there, where it could have made way more money. While for this movie, It should have been Day and Date, where more people could have watched and probably get a decent boost on subscribers from the LGBTQ+ Community for Peacock. But, I think this curse year for Universal Comedy Movies will turn around with Ticket to Paradise. 

Also Billy Eichner needs to move on as his reputation is getting destroyed with all of these negative press. He should go to therapy but I'm not him.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Billy Eichner should just blame millennials on their phones and move on

lmao I forgot about Ridley's meltdown after The Last Duel flopped. Does this mean Bros will be mentioned at this year's Oscars as a lame attempt at shade like that movie?

One thing that I dont see mentioned as one of the many reasons for the flopping is the extreme tonal shift between the first and second trailer, the first trailer presented the characters as "degenerates" for lack of a better word, in a way that seemed to reinforace many of the negative stereotypes of gay deviancy, meanwhile the second trailer made a big effort to present it as a sweet vainilla pg-13 romance. I was never going to watch the movie, but while the first trailer weirded me out, the 2nd trailer made me a maybe, but then I remember the first trailer, and I wont see the movie. Cant imagine such extreme tonal shifts being good for marketing.

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

On 10/4/2022 at 11:13 AM, Eric the Crocodile said:

Dude, why would conservatives ever show up for this? They threw a fit over two seconds of a gay couple in Lightyear, so they were never going to watch an aggressively gay-themed movie in the first place. Do you seriously believe people whose politics are anti-gay were going to show up all excited, but then didn't because the star said conservative asswipes suck? That makes zero sense.

Also the whole "OMG THEY MADE A BOTTOM JOKE" is just ridiculous. This kind of stuff is no different from any other R-rated sex comedies, but apparently the icky gays suddenly make it worse. Did people throw a fit when American Pie had a whole joke about a teenage boy putting his dick in an apple pie? Or if we're talking recent, did people throw a fit when Good Boys made jokes about tampons and dildos with a bunch of 12-year-olds? Last I checked, that wasn't the case. But no, apparently the mention of the term "bottom" is apparently too prude and horrible for people's minds. Give me a fucking break. 🙄

I think there are a lot of people who are a bit moderate or conservative but not like anti-gay who would watch a funny movie with gay characters. (However, you have a habit of seeing people as one dimensional)

But when a director says "if you are not a liberal who is a gay ally, don't watch this"

Well, a lot of people be like...I just wanted to watch a movie not get lectured 

So i find a lot of creators in Hollywood are shooting themselves in the foot saying if you don't watch their movie you racist, homophobe...It just turns even more people turned off from watching their film. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

Homophobia definitely had an effect on the low opening. But so did it being a romcom, being starred by billy eichner, and having no big star opposite him.

Trainwreck is the other half of this coin. ALSO had a non-star as its lead, BUT it had a known star comedian opposite, had a huge costar in Lebron, and it was for straight people.

• Like 1