Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Raya 2.5 Friday, T&J 1.6, Chaos 1.3

7 hours ago, poweranimals said:

But they were fine with Warner Brothers doing it with HBO Max?

WB apparently gave them a way better deal.  Disney wanted 51% - WB takes 45%.  WB apparently also offers an "unknown more" per Deadline.  So, Disney pretty much tried to play top dog, still, and Cinemark said no thank you.

What a wild year when you see Tom And Jerry Memes beat out Disney. But we got 1 good year of everyone staying at home and thinking "You know, this staying at home and watching a new movie is actually lit" so i don't think we'll be seeing any crazy numbers for a while if ever.

Edited by CrashBandicoot81
  • Like 1

Raya has good trend everywhere during weekend internationally. It's too low so won't be breaking out big, but legs will be good.

Friday was around $2.5M internationally, Sunday will be close to $6.5M. overall weekend around $16M range. 

Some countries numbers for Friday and Sunday as compared with (T&J weekend)

China - $1.38M & $3.2M ($4.4M & $3.1M)

Russia - $0.33M & $1.2M ($0.5M & $1.4M)

Korea - $0.11M & $0.41M ($0.09M & $0.17M)

Japan - $0.06M & $0.25M

Vietnam - $0.02M & $0.1M

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Raya has good trend everywhere during weekend internationally. It's too low so won't be breaking out big, but legs will be good.

Friday was around $2.5M internationally, Sunday will be close to $6.5M. overall weekend around $16M range. 

Some countries numbers for Friday and Sunday as compared with (T&J weekend)

China - $1.38M & $3.2M ($4.4M & $3.1M)

Russia - $0.33M & $1.2M ($0.5M & $1.4M)

Korea - $0.11M & $0.41M ($0.09M & $0.17M)

Japan - $0.06M & $0.25M

Vietnam - $0.02M & $0.1M

the Japan performance is awful 

$8.6m opening for Raya, ouch. 

$17.6m international, half of it from China. Only France left to open, in April. 

Didn’t expect it to fall so far short of Tom & Jerry. Only $2m more than T&J’s second weekend. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

What a disappointing weekend. Hopefully this forces Disney to reconsider their stance on distribution, but, I'm doubtful. 

I want to see Raya, but I'm not going to do the pvod price again, as, I'm sure it will appear in the regular D+ availability soon enough. It'll be an option for a drive in movie once the weather warms a bit. 

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

$8.6m opening for Raya, ouch. 

$17.6m international, half of it from China. Only France and Russia left to open, in April. 

Didn’t expect it to fall so far short of Tom & Jerry. Only $2m more than T&J’s second weekend. 

Where did you got that tho? Neither of Boxoffice, Borreport, Gitesh tweeted.

• Like 1

"The overall weekend box office is estimated to gross $25.2M this past weekend, +14% from a week ago. That’s likely the combo of more theatrical wide releases and NYC back in business. However, it could have been more if Raya was a pure theatrical release."

Raya $8.6M

T&J $6.6M

https://deadline.com/2021/03/raya-and-the-last-dragon-opening-weekend-box-office-new-york-city-disney-1234708406/#comments

That overall DOM market number has got to be a huge disappointment with 3 openers, 1 strong holdover and NYC open...gonna be a long spring recovery...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Russia $2.8M opening.

whoops, IMDb has it wrong. One less place to open then. Think France is still closed too.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Where did you got that tho? Neither of Boxoffice, Borreport, Gitesh tweeted.

Hollywood Reporter, about 20 mins ago

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-raya-and-the-last-dragon-no-1-with-soft-8-6m-debut

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

WB apparently gave them a way better deal.  Disney wanted 51% - WB takes 45%.  WB apparently also offers an "unknown more" per Deadline.  So, Disney pretty much tried to play top dog, still, and Cinemark said no thank you.

Lmao crying over 6%. Cinemark is a better business than AMC but still awful. Hate their theaters. Almost none in Texas, washington, virginia etc where I lived were nice.

• Like 1

Just now, cdsacken said:

Lmao crying over 6%. Cinemark is a better business than AMC but still awful. Hate their theaters. Almost none in Texas, washington, virginia etc where I lived were nice.

Well, I mean Disney was crying just as hard b/c they could have easily dropped to 45% when they got the no...so both sides cried over the 6%...and it looks like, for once (and this never usually happens), Disney is crying the most for this particular movie...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Donno if Disney will attempt a Europe release, but I am sorta confident on Raya actually beating T&J worldwide on strength of overseas. Current OS markets shall leg to $60-65M ish. There's a Saudi Arabia left which can shell $3-7M depending on competition. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, I mean Disney was crying just as hard b/c they could have easily dropped to 45% when they got the no...so both sides cried over the 6%...and it looks like, for once (and this never usually happens), Disney is crying the most for this particular movie...

Honestly in this environment I don't think they expected to make much money and I don't think they really care too much about what they earn in theaters cuz it was going to be a loss regardless. They probably will be more upset then it doesn't drive new membership. Their life could be way worse. They could be HBO Max.

Hopefully at some point they put to bed the $30 ridiculous price tag for streaming. I mean I can take my daughter to the movie with my wife and get a snack for that price. That literally just screams don't buy me and wait.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Donno if Disney will attempt a Europe release, but I am sorta confident on Raya actually beating T&J worldwide on strength of overseas. Current OS markets shall leg to $60-65M ish. There's a Saudi Arabia left which can shell $3-7M depending on competition. 

It’s already on disney+ here. I know WB are releasing T&J in UK cinemas in May.

Tom & Jerry already at $57.3m worldwide. 

Edited by Krissykins

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I also feel like in this situation Cinemark realized that giving into Disney wasn't really going to help their attendance that much. It was silly of Disney to try to leverage that but both Cinemark and Disney are not pleased I'm sure. I'll be interested to see what's Cinemark's numbers look like for 2021. Not as bad as AMC but probably pretty disastrous.

Just to be clear, it's not Cinemark refused to play Raya but Disney didn't give their film on lower terms.

I am not sure how much Hollywood studios get, but Indian films get as high as 60% from Cinemark while AMC and Regal are usually 45-50%. And again, the only loss from Cinemark is probably where Cinemark is the only theater or best theater of area. It's not like AMC or other theaters were overflowing with demand.

Yeah I guess some folks would have missed it for some membership they have with Cinemark or whatever.

Raya opened lower than T&J in almost every market in the world. T&J is just bigger IP. I wasn't really seeing how Raya open bigger than T&J but since most here were thinking so, so I guess...

That said, going by 2nd weekend, I think T&J will do around $40-45M DOM. Raya if WOM is there, can still catch it. Internationally it will beat T&J almost certainly if weekend trend is anything to go by.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Just to be clear, it's not Cinemark refused to play Raya but Disney didn't give their film on lower terms.

I am not sure how much Hollywood studios get, but Indian films get as high as 60% from Cinemark while AMC and Regal are usually 45-50%. And again, the only loss from Cinemark is probably where Cinemark is the only theater or best theater of area. It's not like AMC or other theaters were overflowing with demand.

Yeah I guess some folks would have missed it for some membership they have with Cinemark or whatever.

Raya opened lower than T&J in almost every market in the world. T&J is just bigger IP. I wasn't really seeing how Raya open bigger than T&J but since most here were thinking so, so I guess...

That said, going by 2nd weekend, I think T&J will do around $40-45M DOM. Raya if WOM is there, can still catch it. Internationally it will beat T&J almost certainly if weekend trend is anything to go by.

If that's the case then Disney was smart to not drop terms. No point in setting a precedent for the future