Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Raya 2.5 Friday, T&J 1.6, Chaos 1.3

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I also feel like in this situation Cinemark realized that giving into Disney wasn't really going to help their attendance that much. It was silly of Disney to try to leverage that but both Cinemark and Disney are not pleased I'm sure. I'll be interested to see what's Cinemark's numbers look like for 2021. Not as bad as AMC but probably pretty disastrous.

They are making do on the private screenings for their theaters...every weekend, my 2 Cinemarks take their 4 60 seaters and sell them all as privates...and sell them all out.  Sometimes, they add some of their 100 seaters (like they did the last 2 weekends) if they sell all the showings out before the Tuesday before.

It's a "birthday party"/"private group" strategy that seems to be working to keep them afloat.  Since they can't sell more than 10-20 seats/showing in a 60 seater, getting $149 for a new movie works out to a practical sell out on a small screen...and if they sell it out as an old movie for $99, I'm not even sure how much they have to kick back...

But with the strategy, they only need to really book 6-8 screens of their 12s with movies per week...so they don't need every new movie, and they truly just need one innocuous family one to handle all the birthday parties...

Now, when seating starts to open up, we'll see what they will do with the private showings vs booking more movies...

But right now, they couldn't make more money on the private showings, and not much more on the major ones (since 1 of my 2 Cinemarks is still only a 2.5/day week open theater and the other is only open later afternoon and evening on the weekdays).  So, 6% of not much is a lot...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

On Disney+ free? because it's on Disney+ everywhere where Disney+ is there with PA.

Nope, it's £19.99 for Premier Access here in the UK. The cinemas were quite kind to Disney in the last reopening post lockdown, Onward was number one for a long time after they reopened. Whether that happens in May is another matter. 

So, Pandemic openings:

1. Wonder Woman 1984 $16,700,000

2. Tom & Jerry $14,100,000

3. The Croods 2 $9,700,000

4. Tenet $9,500,000

5. Raya $8,600,000 

I wonder if Godzilla Vs Kong will go high teens too? 

Mortal Kombat could manage an opening in the teens too, I’d imagine. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Nope, it's £19.99 for Premier Access here in the UK. The cinemas were quite kind to Disney in the last reopening post lockdown, Onward was number one for a long time after they reopened. Whether that happens in May is another matter. 

Yeh, premier access here. Same as everywhere else. 

Onward was #1 three times during lockdown, never with more than $80k. Wouldn’t call three weekends a long time. 

Unhinged and Tenet performed a lot better during lockdown. 

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

So, Pandemic openings:

1. Wonder Woman 1984 $16,700,000

2. Tom & Jerry $14,100,000

3. The Croods 2 $9,700,000

4. Tenet $9,500,000

5. Raya $8,600,000 

I wonder if Godzilla Vs Kong will go high teens too? 

Mortal Kombat could manage an opening in the teens too, I’d imagine. 

I think Godzilla breaks $25M for the 5 day just b/c of its date and theatrical openness and studio.  WB is letting EVERYONE (even discount theaters) show their movies, so it will be wider than anything on the list b/c 20%+ more of the market will be open vs WW.  And it's the biggest holiday weekend of the spring.  And it's got the weekend open to itself.  Now, its legs will probably rival WW, so it will fall off the cliff fast, but I think it will pay off with a big-for-Covid open.  I think DOM Top 10 could hit $40M for that weekend, but I guess we'll see how the next 4 weeks go, since we have to hit $30M 1st to hit $40M:)...    

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

Not sure what Tom and Jerry has that Raya doesn't. I mean i guess memes? 

Insanely popular characters vs Raya (who?)

Animations are not a big deal here in India but T&J has done $875k so far. WW84 did $1.4M in full run iirc.

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Insanely popular characters vs Raya (who?)

Animations are not a big deal here in India but T&J has done $875k so far. WW84 did $1.4M in full run iirc.

i suppose, but it is not like audience usually turn up their noises at a Disney animated film, especially when the quality seems to check out.

Edited by CrashBandicoot81

Just now, CrashBandicoot81 said:

i suppose, but it is not like audience usually turn up their noises at a Disney animated film, especially when the quality checks out.

I mean Coco was great but it only did $200M something. Last few years had Disney releasing many sequel animation, the general expectations from their animations have blown too high.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I mean Coco was great but it only did $200M something. Last few years had Disney releasing many sequel animation, the general expectations from their animations have blown too high.

True. I'm 50/50 right no on hoping for Raya's success on Disney plus. i looks like a good movie, but at the same time, i think the extra ridiculous 30 dollar payment on top of the usual Disney Plus payment is pure greed.

Edited by CrashBandicoot81

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah and Moana $248 million, which had imo much better marketing than Raya. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think Godzilla breaks $25M for the 5 day just b/c of its date and theatrical openness and studio.  WB is letting EVERYONE (even discount theaters) show their movies, so it will be wider than anything on the list b/c 20%+ more of the market will be open vs WW.  And it's the biggest holiday weekend of the spring.  And it's got the weekend open to itself.  Now, its legs will probably rival WW, so it will fall off the cliff fast, but I think it will pay off with a big-for-Covid open.  I think DOM Top 10 could hit $40M for that weekend, but I guess we'll see how the next 4 weeks go, since we have to hit $30M 1st to hit $40M:)...    

WW84‘s current 2.67x multiplier could mean it would end up with a decent total for pandemic times. 

1 minute ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

i think the extra ridiculous 30 dollar payment on top of the usual Disney Plus payment is pure greed.

People in West are paying $20 for buying films on digital platforms 3 months after release. $30 on day and date release is quite okay IMO.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

They are making do on the private screenings for their theaters...every weekend, my 2 Cinemarks take their 4 60 seaters and sell them all as privates...and sell them all out.  Sometimes, they add some of their 100 seaters (like they did the last 2 weekends) if they sell all the showings out before the Tuesday before.

It's a "birthday party"/"private group" strategy that seems to be working to keep them afloat.  Since they can't sell more than 10-20 seats/showing in a 60 seater, getting $149 for a new movie works out to a practical sell out on a small screen...and if they sell it out as an old movie for $99, I'm not even sure how much they have to kick back...

But with the strategy, they only need to really book 6-8 screens of their 12s with movies per week...so they don't need every new movie, and they truly just need one innocuous family one to handle all the birthday parties...

Now, when seating starts to open up, we'll see what they will do with the private showings vs booking more movies...

But right now, they couldn't make more money on the private showings, and not much more on the major ones (since 1 of my 2 Cinemarks is still only a 2.5/day week open theater and the other is only open later afternoon and evening on the weekdays).  So, 6% of not much is a lot...

I would like to see them do more special events. Streaming and performances and musicals etc

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

People in West are paying $20 for buying films on digital platforms 3 months after release. $30 on day and date release is quite okay IMO.

Buying a film on digital platform for $20 versus a one-time rental of $30 is completely different.

That's like a car payment to own for $200 versus a lease at $300. It absolutely should be the opposite

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

WW84‘s current 2.67x multiplier could mean it would end up with a decent total for pandemic times. 

That's so depressing though. just think a little over a year ago if someone said 200 million for Wonder woman is good worldwide /cry

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

That's so depressing though. just think a little over a year ago if someone said 200 million for Wonder woman is good worldwide /cry

I meant if Godzilla Vs Kong “falls off a cliff” like the original poster suggested (in reference to a 2.67x multiplier) 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It's not really economical for me, especially since I have D+ and so will get to see it with no extra charge in a few months anyway. Theatrical provides a different experience at least. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Buying a film on digital platform for $20 versus a one-time rental of $30 is completely different.

That's like a car payment to own for $200 versus a lease at $300. It absolutely should be the opposite

I think this debate was settled during Mulan itself. Owning a film on Disney+ with PA is similar to owning a film on Digital platforms like Google Play Movies, etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Menor said:

It's not really economical for me, especially since I have D+ and so will get to see it with no extra charge in a few months anyway. Theatrical provides a different experience at least. 

I suppose you aren't regularly buying films digitally right? There are millions doing that tho.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1