Jump to content
Skipper Eric

Weekend Thread: Raya 2.5 Friday, T&J 1.6, Chaos 1.3

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

 

(Speaking of which, @Fullbuster, Disney NOT putting their newest content on DVD/BR/UHD shows that they aren't exactly as "pro-consumer" as you might think)

 

Honestly Porthos, I didn't know that and I'm kinda surprised. They definitely should put these on DVD/BR...etc..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

 

Honestly Porthos, I didn't know that and I'm kinda surprised. They definitely should put these on DVD/BR...etc..

Edited my post and refined it a bit. :) 

 

To be more clear, Disney has claimed that they aren't abandoning the DVD/BR/UHD market.  But while I haven't checked all of their recent releases, I know for a fact that there is no sign of The Mandalorian anywhere on physical media (outside of bootlegs which we won't discuss here).  Same goes for The Clone Wars, Season Seven.

 

I am unaware of any of the new, exclusive, content for D+ ending up on physical media.  

 

Mulan at least got a DVD/BR/UHD release, but that could have been contractual in nature (ie already set in stone before D+ was launched). I presume Raya and the Last Dragon will as well for similar reasons. On the other hand, as I check for a random example, I can't find any sign of the new The Lady and the Tramp on physical media.  And one would think that Disney would want every source of revenue possible for it.

 

Combine things like that with the utter lack of any news whatsoever regarding a Mando physical media release and it makes me... Nervous when it comes to Disney's medium to long term strategy regarding physical media.  If you see where I am coming from. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Lmao crying over 6%. Cinemark is a better business than AMC but still awful. Hate their theaters. Almost none in Texas, washington, virginia etc where I lived were nice.

Getting 55% of ticket sales is 12.2% more money than getting 49%, which is bigger than their total operating income of 2019.

 

6 hours ago, cdsacken said:

If that's the case then Disney was smart to not drop terms. No point in setting a precedent for the future

Exact same mindset from theatrical chain, setting precedent for a movie that will have an hard time making $10m is not the same than setting precedent for Star wars and avengers like they did.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Edited my post and refined it a bit. :) 

 

To be more clear, Disney has claimed that they aren't abandoning the DVD/BR/UHD market.  But while I haven't checked all of their recent releases, I know for a fact that there is no sign of The Mandalorian anywhere on physical media (outside of bootlegs which we won't discuss here).  Same goes for The Clone Wars, Season Seven.

 

I am unaware of any of the new, exclusive, content for D+ ending up on physical media.  

 

Mulan at least got a DVD/BR/UHD release, but that could have been contractual in nature (ie already set in stone before D+ was launched). I presume Raya and the Last Dragon will as well for similar reasons. On the other hand, as I check for a random example, I can't find any sign of the new The Lady and the Tramp on physical media.  And one would think that Disney would want every source of revenue possible for it.

 

Combine things like that with the utter lack of any news whatsoever regarding a Mando physical media release and it makes me... Nervous when it comes to Disney's medium to long term strategy regarding physical media.  If you see where I am coming from. 

 

I see...It's not exactly shocking, shows like Mandalorian are meant to bring Disney+ subs before anything else. But I understand you, it's always nice to have physical media for the stuff we really like.

 

It's possible it gets physical media 2 to 3 years after release when most of the potential in terms of subs is done, or maybe waiting until the whole show is over?

 

Wait & See.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

 

I see...It's not exactly shocking, shows like Mandalorian are meant to bring Disney+ subs before anything else. But I understand you, it's always nice to have physical media for the stuff we really like.

 

It's possible it gets physical media 2 to 3 years after release when most of the potential in terms of subs is done, or maybe waiting until the whole show is over?

 

Wait & See.

I mean. I understand exactly why they're doing it.  And a one or two year exclusivity window doesn't seem out of place for me.  But it's the lack of transparency which I find annoying/concerning.

 

Like, if they came out and said, "We plan on withholding any physical media release for two to three years after a season is over", I'd grumble but at least be content to know that I'd eventually have the option to get it.  But it's complete radio silence, even on the rumor front.

 

Hell, if Disney allowed downloads on a computer, even if it was encrypted/file-marked in someway to combat piracy, I'd grumble even louder but at least swallow the lack of physical media.  Right now though, it's only mobile devices which allow downloads, and that's just not the same in the slightest.  Especially since I don't know what quality level the download file is at on a mobile device (I presume 'not great' for many reasons).

 

So if I have to download a gig or so of data each and every time I want to watch 30 minutes of D+ content in HD (or five gig if I ever go 4k), that starts to add up.

 

I wouldn't be so concerned except, as we both know, there is a ton of exclusive SW and Marvel content coming down the pike in the next three years.  For folks on data caps (even if soft ones) that becomes a real issue.  Plus as Tele said, it basically chains one to D+ forever.  If I want to drop Disney Plus in, oh say five or six years, I don't want to be SOL if I still want to watch S1 or S2 of The Mandalorian

 

Ultimately, that's the real danger of all streaming services.  It's an all-you-can-eat buffet, yes.  But if you ever leave the restaurant you can't take a doggie bag with you.  Didn't matter as much before as Netflix and other companies used to make physical media of their shows available, if eventually.  That Disney is tightlipped about this is...

 

Well, it colors my overall attitude even as I sit in front of the buffet presently.

 

(NOTE: I got the super cheap three year in advance deal, so I'm not as annoyed as I might be once Nov 22 comes around and I have to make a decision at the time whether to continue with the service or not)

 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Disney’s built their empire on artificially constraining choices, and I doubt they’ll stop now. Why give people the option to buy once when you can shove them towards subscribing forever?

 

The good news is they can now do the same thing with Fox’s library. 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Why give people the option to buy once

One reason is that you can make really nice collector edition package:

 

https://collider.com/pixar-soul-4k-bluray-release-date-details/#:~:text=Soul will be released on,digital on Tuesday%2C March 23.

 

That remove very little business to D+ and has giant margin

 

For TV series even the simpsons didn't get physical media release before Disney acquisition if I am not mistaken, is there a disney regular movie release that was announced-rumored to not get a physical media release yet ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Disney’s built their empire on artificially constraining choices, and I doubt they’ll stop now. Why give people the option to buy once when you can shove them towards subscribing forever?

 

The good news is they can now do the same thing with Fox’s library. 

Ah, "vaulting".  How I missed that concept so.

 

Spoiler

If I must:

 

pJgt4zW.gif

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

For TV series even the simpsons didn't get physical media release before Disney acquisition if I am not mistaken

No, The Simpsons had regular physical media releases for a long time.  They stopped for a while because of the sheer number of seasons that were starting to pile up, but I think they started back up again.  Not sure on that later point as I stopped paying attention to The Simpsons quite a long time ago.

Edited by Porthos
Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, lest anyone think this just Big Bad Mean 'ol Disney, Amazon is embroiled in a lawsuit over just what "permanent" means when it comes to their purchased titles.  I don't use Amazon Prime to purchase movie/TV shows enough to know if it is the same situation as what @TwoMisfits was describing when it comes to downloaded content, but it is a warning that companies have to be watched like a hawk over these things,

 

Apple ran into similar difficulty in 2018, as well, when some purchased, but not downloaded, iTunes content started disappearing from folks libraries.

 

Ultimately it's the possibility of the revocation of licenses combined with vaulting which is the real reason I like to get my mitts on physical media.  I just don't trust content providers not to be short sighted greedy so and so's. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Porthos said:

BTW, lest anyone think this just Big Bad Mean 'ol Disney, Amazon is embroiled in a lawsuit over just what "permanent" means when it comes to their purchased titles.  I don't use Amazon Prime to purchase movie/TV shows enough to know if it is the same situation as what @TwoMisfits was describing when it comes to downloaded content, but it is a warning that companies have to be watched like a hawk over these things,

 

Apple ran into similar difficulty in 2018, as well, when some purchased, but not downloaded, iTunes content started disappearing from folks libraries.

 

Ultimately it's the possibility of the revocation of licenses combined with vaulting which is the real reason I like to get my mitts on physical media.  I just don't trust content providers not to be short sighted greedy so and so's. 

I also like physical media.  When my son was in his movie craze the last 2 years, I bought DVDs and Blu Rays left and right...

 

I also prefer buying video games that way, although my kids don't...so now I have enormous memory cards for them.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Ah, yeah.  Caused a bit of a stink back then for some of the reasons I mentioned upthread.  Do think it is slightly a special case simply because of the sheer number of seasons, but yeah as I said Disney isn't the only one to be fuc... messing around with the home media market.  

 

Even so, something as popular as The Mandalorian should absolutely have received as S1 release by now.  And if the fig leaf excuse was number of episodes, then word about a combined S1 and S2 series set should have been leaking by now.  Say what you will about HBO, but at least they're still releasing their shows on the home media market (to my knowledge, at least).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Even so, something as popular as The Mandalorian should absolutely have received as S1 release by now. 

Biggest fiction show on earth (arguably) filmed in 4K with a big budget, it would have without a doubt if it was a 2018 release.

 

You are right that the Simpsons is not a perfect equivalent to a Mandalorian or any short series like that, as popular as they are, they are not at that level and maybe more importantly the volume of episode made it less obvious, that perfect streaming content.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the way they approach digital media is wrong. One should have the ability to not only download digital media but truly outright own it, fully transferable to any medium you want. If the data was reliable, the transfer system was easy to use and I felt confident about my access rights I would literally pay more for that than physical

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this was posted but coming 2 America was the highest streaming movie in the last year this past weekend. I wonder what that with me for box office returns. Had it open in theaters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

Not sure if this was posted but coming 2 America was the highest streaming movie in the last year this past weekend. I wonder what that with me for box office returns. Had it open in theaters.

 

Probably not much - literally everyone has Amazon Prime and they touted that movie like no tomorrow - I mean, I almost watched it, but found Wandavision and Name That Tune better uses of my time (and Name That Tune only won b/c my kid loves the show:)...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Eddie Murphy hasn't been all that funny in years so i skipped in favor of watching Willy's Wonderland which i had been curious about for a while anyway. This is prob the first time you seen a FNAF movie even if it isn't FNAF.

Edited by CrashBandicoot81
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2021 at 11:34 PM, Porthos said:

Ah, yeah.  Caused a bit of a stink back then for some of the reasons I mentioned upthread.  Do think it is slightly a special case simply because of the sheer number of seasons, but yeah as I said Disney isn't the only one to be fuc... messing around with the home media market.  

 

Even so, something as popular as The Mandalorian should absolutely have received as S1 release by now.  And if the fig leaf excuse was number of episodes, then word about a combined S1 and S2 series set should have been leaking by now.  Say what you will about HBO, but at least they're still releasing their shows on the home media market (to my knowledge, at least).

You’re not going to get Disney+ shows on home media. They want you to subscribe.

 

Theatrically-released movies will still get releases for the time being. The pandemic really sped up the expiration of that market.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.