Jake Gittes

The Fabelmans | Steven Spielberg's autobiographical coming-of-age-drama | Michelle Williams, Paul Dano, Seth Rogen, Judd Hirsch, and DAVID LYNCH | November 11, 2022 (limited), November 23 (wide)

Universal re-releasing his classics (Jaws, E.T., Jurassic Park as part of the Jurassic World double feature) on the big screen this year and now this is their announcement that they aren't messing around about that legacy narrative. Let's go!

Edited by filmlover

18 minutes ago, Eric-occhio said:

Pleaaaaaaaase tell me the trailer is dropping tomorrow. I can’t take the wait anymore!

This week or next probably. Lincoln's trailer was released less than two months before it came out. The Post also began its marketing campaign 1.5 months before release as well.

• Like 1

Aside from bein aubiographical, it also might be  Spielberg's "Hollywood on Hollywood" movie.

it looks really good, though.

And Spilberg continues to make the films he wants to make. If it has "Geek Appeal" fine; if it does'nt so be it.

I was amused back itn the 90's when certainl elements of geekdom attacked Spielberg for getting away from the Sci Fi/Fantasy movies that made his famous and going mainstream. While the Geeks were screaming sell out, he made movies like "Schindler's List" and "Saving Private Ryan" (IMHO his best film) to great sucess.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

I don't see this doing better than West Side story at the box office. In fact, it'll probably do worse? WSS at least has some name recognition.

This is coming out in a much better box office climate (especially for movies targeting older audiences like this will) than West Side Story did. With the exception of Lincoln and that movie, all of Spielberg's dramas over the past decade or so (War Horse, Bridge of Spies, The Post) have made in the low-$70M to low-$80M range, which seems like the right expectation to have for this depending on how much of a frontrunner it becomes.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1