Eric Atreides

93rd Academy Award Nominations Thread

19 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Mank got a lot of nominations but missed screenplay and editing. Lots of noms, but no presence at all today. I expect it to come out with nothing but Production Design win.

Will be very funny when even in a year where all we had were Netflix movies that they end up winning just 2 awards (Production Design for Mank and Actor for Bozeman).

This is an inevitability. It’s also gonna be funny when this repeats the Emmys and Hulu becomes the first streaming service to win Best Picture

The 2021 Oscars ceremony is going to socially distance from itself.

The 93rd Academy Awards will be held in at least two locations, the Academy announced Monday.

The ceremony will be at the Dolby Theater as originally planned, but also at the iconic Los Angeles railway hub Union Station. The Academy previously suggested the ceremony may include other remote locations as well.

Oscars to Be Held in Two Locations as Academy Unveils New Venue | Hollywood Reporter

• Like 1

@Valonqar  His name is not Glenn.  :redcapes:

--

FUCK YEAH CHLOE ZHAO.  4 Nominations!  Party.

I think the one I feel the strongest about is Eurovision for Best Original Song.  I need that win right there.

LMFAO at Glenn Close.  I didn't even know she was on the radar this year.   

Anyway, I'm gonna finally have to watch some of these I see.  

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Pretty funny that Promising Young Woman went from being my most anticipated film of 2020 to my least favourite nominee in all the categories it got nominated for except Actress. The love it's been getting this awards season just makes no sense to me. 

It's topical, entertaining, attention-grabbing, pretends to be edgy and provocative without actually risking anything or alienating anybody in the end. I'm no big fan of it but I totally get the awards love.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

This is an inevitability. It’s also gonna be funny when this repeats the Emmys and Hulu becomes the first streaming service to win Best Picture

Searchlight movies are not made by Hulu, they won't win anything , the pandemic sped up the release to streaming , their awards films are still expected to get traditional releases in the future

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Pretty funny that Promising Young Woman went from being my most anticipated film of 2020 to my least favourite nominee in all the categories it got nominated for except Actress. The love it's been getting this awards season just makes no sense to me. 

Basically what Jake said. It reminds me a lot to Joker.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

No real surprises stoked to see Minari go well and so happy for Steven Yuen. Soul as well was worried it was only gonna get the token Best Animated Feature which it will win. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross with the double nom can't remember the last time it happened for Original Score. 

Last time someone was double nominated in that category was back in 2015 with Alexandre Desplat for The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Imitation Game. And Desplat won for GBH as well.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Not among those that think it's a masterpiece (though it did make the second half of my top 10 of 2020 but haven't seen Minari or The Father yet) but I get the appeal. It's an audacious, well-crafted movie about topical subject matter with an instantly iconic lead performance (and might very well end up as the defining performance of Mulligan's career). It would stand out even if 2020 had gone as planned.

Doubt it would have received nearly as much attention though had it come out in its original April spot before the world collapsed unless it had turned into a Get Out-style box office sensation. Which seems unlikely IMO but we'll never know.

Edited by filmlover

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not among those that think it's a masterpiece (though it did make the second half of my top 10 of 2020 but haven't seen Minari or The Father yet) but I get the appeal. It's an audacious, well-crafted movie about topical subject matter with an instantly iconic lead performance (and might very well end up as the defining performance of Mulligan's career). It would stand out even if 2020 had gone as planned.

I mean I get that it was a crowdpleasing thriller and all but there have been so many other more successful, crowd pleasing thrillers with much more passion that have failed to get through the Oscars (eg Gone Girl). But I do guess my comp during this race should've been more Joker than Gone Girl.

Also critics awards ceremonies pushed the film hard, which was kinda odd, because everywhere I saw critics talk about the film on the internet, it seemed kinda divisive.

1 minute ago, Carlangonz said:

Kinda bummed that neither Never Rarely Sometimes Always or First Cow made it to original screenplay as lone nominations a la Knives Out or First Reformed

Cow would have been in adapted. Which was so empty last year I figured it could hardly miss it but the writing was not a patch on Borat 2 as it turns out.

• Like 2