Eric Duncan

93rd Academy Award Nominations Thread

On 3/16/2021 at 3:51 AM, Barnack said:

ABC pay 75 millions a year for the right to stream it, maybe more people would watch if you stream if for free worldwide on youtube and letting go to tv deals you made in every country, but does it translate in nearly has much money ?

Something that is all about prestige and history (almost all of it by now, with how large of a voting body with almost 0 curating it is now) turned into a free youtube stream, it is an hard act to balance.

Money sure, but every year it's "Record low ratings" and "The Oscars are dead no one cares!". The latter of which isn't true, it's just too limited in watching opportunities.

1 minute ago, Ithil said:

Money sure, but every year it's "Record low ratings" and "The Oscars are dead no one cares!". The latter of which isn't true, it's just too limited in watching opportunities.

It will for sure change after the current deal end in 2028 (because I doubt they will get offered a good deal like the one they have).

But it is easy to understand why the academy do not break their current deal to shift for free content online, getting 75 millions a year is looking better and better.

Not sure if it will survive the shift.

Moving to streaming completely is honestly the best thing that could happen to the Oscars at this point. The past several ceremonies have suffered from massive cases of bloat, throwing in forced comedy bits, random overproduced musical numbers (I swear, every time a show kicks off with one of those lavish production numbers it's like they're begging for the Rob Lowe/Snow White comparisons), and a million montages, none of which impress anyone anymore. This was especially felt last year where they seemed to be throwing everything but the kitchen sink out there (presenters for presenters, really?).

A format that allows them to get to the stuff people actually want to see (the winners) while cutting down on all of the fat that only exists to get the show to the three hour mark would certainly make these feel like less of a chore to get through every year.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

First and foremost, the 93rd annual Academy Awards is definitively not going to be a Zoom affair, unlike the large majority of other pandemic-affected awards shows we have seen of late (save for the Grammys). In other words, you either show up in person, or the Academy will accept your Oscar on your behalf. “For those of you unable to attend because of scheduling or continued uneasiness about traveling, we want you to know there will not be an option to Zoom in for the show,” the producers state. We are going to great lengths to provide a safe and ENJOYABLE evening for all of you in person, as well as for all the millions of film fans around the world, and we feel the virtual thing will diminish those efforts.”

lmao they are desperately trying to save themselves from the inevitable dismal ratings that await them. Just announce the winners and move on and hope that they'll be able to have a regular Oscar ceremony again next year.

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

If you would have paid $75 millions for the rights to show this, you would also be desperately trying to make the best of it and would have an hard time throwing away that amount of money.

The entertainment industry has had to lose billions of dollars over the past year so that seems unlikely. The way the letter itself was written in caps ("Therefore, if STORIES matter, then the PEOPLE who bring those stories to life matter. Namely, YOU.") makes it seem like they're just clueless as to what to do about the whole situation (especially when their ratings have already been dwindling even before the pandemic happened) and that the ceremony itself will likely be an even bigger potential trainwreck than the last couple of Oscar shows have been (and there have been a lot of lousy Oscar ceremonies in recent years).

57 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The entertainment industry has had to lose billions of dollars over the past year so that seems unlikely

I am sure the ABC executives in charge and the team dedicated to the ceremony with their own numbers on the line (bonus, job prospect and so on) feel less judgement from them, but I am not sure how relevant it is to them.

59 minutes ago, filmlover said:

makes it seem like they're just clueless as to what to do about the whole situation

I would imagine, but taking measure to try to achieve to create some aura, prestige and production value but not having terrible quality zoom moment and some crowd reaction during the presentation is one thing they can try to do.

What would you do ?

9 hours ago, Barnack said:

I am sure the ABC executives in charge and the team dedicated to the ceremony with their own numbers on the line (bonus, job prospect and so on) feel less judgement from them, but I am not sure how relevant it is to them.

I would imagine, but taking measure to try to achieve to create some aura, prestige and production value but not having terrible quality zoom moment and some crowd reaction during the presentation is one thing they can try to do.

What would you do ?

All the other awards shows this year have had to scale down and accommodate everyone in the current global situation, the Oscars certainly can too. Trying to bait people into showing up with a "No Zoom" rule (and telling the winners if they want their award they'll have to come or else they'll have to try and get it from another famous individual) seems really petty.

Although just read the whole letter from the producers (Steven Soderbergh is one of them and one hopes he has the smallest amount of input in putting it together lol). It's basically the entertainment industry equivalent of:

The Best Is Yet To Come GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by filmlover

On 3/19/2021 at 10:28 PM, filmlover said:

All the other awards shows this year have had to scale down and accommodate everyone in the current global situation, the Oscars certainly can too. Trying to bait people into showing up with a "No Zoom" rule (and telling the winners if they want their award they'll have to come or else they'll have to try and get it from another famous individual) seems really petty.

Although just read the whole letter from the producers (Steven Soderbergh is one of them and one hopes he has the smallest amount of input in putting it together lol). It's basically the entertainment industry equivalent of:

The Best Is Yet To Come GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I don't see what is wrong with that as long as mask is wore throughout and social distancing is implemented. And there should be no after party ,levish red carpet event too. And I am pretty sure large part of the attendee would have been vaccinated by 25Apr especially those over 65

Unless some kind of backlash forms, Nomadland is sweeping. It's the 2nd best film of the nominees imo, but a pretty boring best picture race this year. Probably the most boring in ages imo. We also have a pretty good idea who's winning director, actor, and supporting actor. Out of the main categories, only the two actress categories seem like fun races atm.

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, Nomadland has this all locked up now. And at this point I'm expecting McDormand to win SAG and basically guarantee Oscar #3 for her.

As I said actress is much, much harder to predict and that's why it's a fun race. McDormand is probably behind Carey Mulligan too.