Jump to content
Skipper Eric

Weekend Thread - Nobody 2.53 Friday

Recommended Posts

https://www.boxofficepro.com/global-box-office-report-godzilla-vs-kong-roars-to-strong-start-in-china-with-21-5m-opening-day-nobody-estimated-at-2-4m-friday-in-north-america/

 

Quote

Meanwhile, Universal continues to make good on exclusive theatrical releases during the slow-to-develop theatrical rebound with Nobody hitting cinemas this weekend. As of early Friday afternoon Pacific time, the studio reported a projection of $2.4 million on opening day and a potential $6.5 million opening weekend.

 

Universal notes that these figures are speculative and they’ll provide further updates should they change drastically.

 

If the numbers hold, Nobody‘s opening would fall in line close to expectations and our weekend forecast while topping the starts of other recent action-thrillers released in North America during the pandemic.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That gross for Nobody shows some improvement for older audience action films too, compared with Chaos Walking, The Marksman, Honest Thief, Monster Hunter. 
 

$6.5m and a #1 would be solid. 
 

Curious to see how The Unholy does next weekend, hopefully #1, it has some big trailer view counts. 
 

*whoops forgot about Godzilla vs Kong lol

Edited by Krissykins
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought this was headed for around $5M heading into the weekend so this seems fine, even if a $7M opening is still not a cause for celebration.

 

Hopefully Godzilla vs. Kong posts very strong (for the pandemic era) numbers next weekend to give us an idea of what to expect from the summer movie slate, such as it is (the major titles that will be doing hybrid releases seem set in stone for their dates at this point).

Edited by filmlover
Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid for Nobody under the circumstances.

 

I’m definitely looking forward to seeing how Godzilla v. Kong fares next weekend. I’m starved for another double digit opener (as are we all, I would guess).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

With 6.5 to 7m opening, nobody is like to be another 20m grosser, proving the domestic market is stable enough to produce a 20m grosser constantly 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

If even a high profile tentpole like GvK failed to draw reasonable massive crowd, theater during summer holiday will be gone

Considering that GvK is overperforming pretty much everywhere, I'd say that it would prove that the DOM market is broken, and it won't be fixed for some time (if ever).

Link to post
Share on other sites

"According to Saturday AM B.O. figures Nobody made $2.5M on Friday on its way to No. 1 with $7M, and audiences are excited about it, giving the R-rated pic an A- Cinemascore and 83% positive/69% recommend from Screen Engine/Comscore exits. Men showed up at 63% yesterday, 72% over 25. LA, NYC, Phoenix and Chicago are the best markets for the movie. Overall, Nobody is leading a B.O. frame with $19.7M, +6% over last weekend. Nobody‘s B.O. easily pushes Disney’s fourth weekend of Raya and the Last Dragon to second with a $950K Friday and $3.3M weekend, -34% for a $28.2M total. Nobody’s debut bests the openings of Liam Neeson’s pandemic titles The Honest Thief ($4.1M) and The Marksman ($3.1M) (keep in mind No. 2 chain Regal is still closed until April 1). Already, Nobody has made $3.5M from the Middle East and Naishuller’s homeland Russia."

 

https://deadline.com/2021/03/nobody-ilya-naishuller-podcast-interview-bob-odenkirk-1234723017/#comments

 

Important figures

Top 10 DOM (or "Box office frame) $19.7M (the market is still struggling to find a way above the $20M DOM BO for a weekend - GvK should get us there, but it's gonna be a one-off and a holiday - the market needs to settle at a higher "normal" weekend, hopefully soon...

 

Nobody $7M ($2.3M Fri)

Raya $3.3M ($950K Fri)

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

With 6.5 to 7m opening, nobody is like to be another 20m grosser, proving the domestic market is stable enough to produce a 20m grosser constantly 

If Unhinged and The marksman are any guide, 30m total for Nobody is possible, meaning domestic market can now produce 30m grosser consistently , including GvK next week

Edited by Borobudur
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Considering that GvK is overperforming pretty much everywhere, I'd say that it would prove that the DOM market is broken, and it won't be fixed for some time (if ever).

Patience. I think it will be bumpy ride until maybe the end of the year or when everyone is vaccinated. The stars seem to be aligning for Avatar 2. I don't think we could ever truly rely on GvK catapulting the DOM market into business when the predecessor was a financial disappointment. Lets just hope for baby steps

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Considering that GvK is overperforming pretty much everywhere, I'd say that it would prove that the DOM market is broken, and it won't be fixed for some time (if ever).

One has to assume it's not available to watch at home in those countries like it will be here.

 

2021 was always going to be about the slow and steady recovery and the studios are starting to come to terms with the realization that nothing will be living up to whatever their pre-COVID potential was for a while (and at the same time don't want to sit on these movies much longer - hence announcements like Disney's release changes this past week). These movies will always have an asterisk next to their totals. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

If Unhinged and The marksman are any guide, 30m total for Nobody is possible, meaning domestic market can now produce 30m grosser consistently , including GvK next week

Little things only did 3x leg although having bigger opening here than the marksman and unhinged.

 

I really think that WB free streaming model is impacting their movies. Their movie including ww84, the little things, t &j , juda and the black messaiah are constantly posted lower holding power than their pandemic peers especially when you compare their 2nd week hold.

 

Wb is really creating a self competition here by competing their product against something FREE!

 

In marketing, it is almost "prohibited" to put a very pricy item in a less pricy page because that will create a comparative advantage and draw people to a cheaper option. I guess that is what happening here, the opportunity cost simply got too high for consumer to ignore

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Little things only did 3x leg although having bigger opening here than the marksman and unhinged.

 

I really think that WB free streaming model is impacting their movies. Their movie including ww84, the little things, t &j , juda and the black messaiah are constantly posted lower holding power than their pandemic peers especially when you compare their 2nd week hold.

 

Wb is really creating a self competition here by competing their product against something FREE!

 

In marketing, it is almost "prohibited" to put a very pricy item in a less pricy page because that will create a comparative advantage and draw people to a cheaper option. I guess that is what happening here, the opportunity cost simply got too high for consumer to ignore

Their main focus with those films has been HBOMax though. Every 2021 release is being used to bolster HBOMax. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Nobody today. Good movie. Nice mix of action and light comedy. Odenkirk did a great job and Loyd was awesome in his role. 
 

Took a little longer for the action to kick in than I thought it would but it was a solid set up and once it does kick off it’s a lot of fun.  
 

I wouldn’t mind seeing this character on screen again

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.