Jump to content
Eric Atreides

GODZILLA VS KONG WEEKEND THREAD | Read the rules before posting | 32.2M 3-Day/48.5M 5-Day | The monkey saved the theaters!

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Easter Sunday usually has harsher drops remember. Plus if they were going to “fudge push” it to 50 they’d have done it for the headlines already. 

Wonder Woman 1984 did $7.2m in Canadian PVOD in 3 weekends so that’s a great start. 

I know that but even BvS only dropped 33% on Easter Sunday. Ready Player One dropped 28.5%. 35% is quite harsh. You do have a point that they probably would have fudged it already if they were going to, but I still think it's a small possibility. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Menor said:

I know that but even BvS only dropped 33% on Easter Sunday. Ready Player One dropped 28.5%. 35% is quite harsh. You do have a point that they probably would have fudged it already if they were going to, but I still think it's a small possibility. 

Canada is not fully in play. USA Sunday drop are harsher. Canada softens NA drops a bit.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The fact it came so close to becoming the biggest movie of the entire pandemic era in just its first weekend is insane. Blockbusters are back in business.

 

Acceptable numbers for The Unholy, I guess. Never even heard of it until this past week.

It's the perfect movie for this exact time in the world. There hasn't been a big movie in a while and nothing screams "watch it in theaters" like a giant monkey taking on a giant lizard. I have my doubts if any other blockbuster could have done this kind of business this weekend with the same circumstances. It also has no references to the real world or tries to say anything political or make a statement about anything apart from "watch these 2 fight". So it's a good, tension free watch for most people.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Canada is not fully in play. USA Sunday drop are harsher. Canada softens NA drops a bit.

Good point. Then it will probably be closer to the estimate. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cookson I loved the hell out of GvK! I mean loved it! So glad to see it doing well. No poor movie and no poor numbers to complain about incessantly...I'm in heaven.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think we need to give it to timing. GvK trailer is one of the best recieved in recent times. This probably missed a $100M opening weekend in normal times. Iirc Jurassic World 2 was last non-Disney non-Marvel film to open $100M. 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think we need to give it to timing. GvK trailer is one of the best recieved in recent times. This probably missed a $100M opening weekend in normal times. Iirc Jurassic World 2 was last non-Disney non-Marvel film to open $100M. 

weird that we didnt get os numbers yet

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think we need to give it to timing. GvK trailer is one of the best recieved in recent times. This probably missed a $100M opening weekend in normal times. Iirc Jurassic World 2 was last non-Disney non-Marvel film to open $100M. 

I think if this movie led off the Monsterverse then it would be a $1B worldwide performer...perhaps more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's the perfect movie for this exact time in the world. There hasn't been a big movie in a while and nothing screams "watch it in theaters" like a giant monkey taking on a giant lizard. I have my doubts if any other blockbuster could have done this kind of business this weekend with the same circumstances. It also has no references to the real world or tries to say anything political or make a statement about anything apart from "watch these 2 fight". So it's a good, tension free watch for most people.

For sure. People want pure escapism right now, not something heavy (which is mostly why the Oscar contenders this season haven't caught anyone's attention).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

$285.4m worldwide after a $71.6m second international weekend. Don’t really follow China box office but the hold seems excellent. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really trying to get a grasp on how much COVID is impacting these numbers. If we look at something like T&J last month, I would have normally thought something like a 35M opening, so COVID more than halved that. But if COVID is halving a movie's box office potential, would that mean that something like Raya was only going to do 16-20M opening in normal times? I have a hard time believing that.

 

So what's the magic number? COVID is causing movies to do 1/3 of what they would normally do? Raya a 24M opener, Tom and Terry a 42M opener, and GVK a 97M opener (~140M 5-day)? I know there probably isn't a magic number, but I'd be curious what you guys think these movies would have done in a normal world.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

I think if this movie led off the Monsterverse then it would be a $1B worldwide performer...perhaps more.

This is the peak of the monsterverse. There's no more 2 iconic monsters than Godzilla and Kong, even further movies in the series won't get this much hype.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

    Movie Distr Gross %LW Thr Thr
Chng
Per
Thr
Total
Gross
W
1 N Godzilla vs. Kong Warner Bros. $32,200,000   3,064   $10,509 $48,500,000 1
2 N The Unholy Sony Pict… $3,200,000   1,850   $1,730 $3,200,000 1
3 (1) Nobody Universal $3,070,000 -55% 2,567 +107 $1,196 $11,874,295 2
4 (2) Raya and the Last Dragon Walt Disney $2,054,000 -45% 2,031 -181 $1,011 $32,186,920 5
5 (3) Tom and Jerry Warner Bros. $1,415,000 -44% 2,273 -191 $623 $39,515,000 6
6 (4) Chaos Walking Lionsgate $380,000 -69% 1,605 -431 $237 $12,233,068 5
7 (6) The Croods: A New Age Universal $210,000 -62% 1,212 -107 $173 $56,344,558 19
8 (-) French Exit Sony Pict… $193,000   483   $400 $193,000 8
9 (7) The Marksman Open Road $165,000 -54% 461 -390 $358 $15,035,132 12
10 (10) Wonder Woman 1984 Warner Bros. $136,000 -44% 1,011 -117 $135 $46,108,000 15
11 (8) Boogie Focus Fea… $115,000 -68% 603 -425 $191 $4,059,895 5
12 (-) The Little Things Warner Bros. $110,000 -21% 326 -675 $337 $15,058,000 10
- (9) Minari A24 $109,000 -60% 562 -350 $194 $2,070,000 17
- (-) Promising Young Woman Focus Fea… $80,000 -47% 605 -128 $132 $6,099,965 15
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Godzilla vs Kong is definitely benefitting from timing being the film welcoming people back to cinemas. If It was another movie released in a sea of blockbusters during the summer or holiday season it probably would have done better than KOTM though nothing amazing

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Easter Sunday usually has harsher drops remember. Plus if they were going to “fudge push” it to 50 they’d have done it for the headlines already. 

Wonder Woman 1984 did $7.2m in Canadian PVOD in 3 weekends so that’s a great start. 

 

I'm truly shocked that people would pay $25 Canadian to rent WW84.  

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Croods 2 finally suffer its first harsh drop after nearly 5 months. I wonder why Croods box office achievement is so much less talked about compared to ww84, tenet or even Raya and T&J   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Croods 2 finally suffer its first harsh drop after nearly 5 months. I wonder why Croods box office achievement is so much less talked about compared to ww84, tenet or even Raya and T&J   

The Croods 2 has done really well. It actually has had a lot of headlines over the past few months. It’s been much bigger worldwide than both Raya and T&J.
 

I noticed it’s opening in more international markets starting in July 2021. 9 more, including the UK. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.