Eric Duncan

GODZILLA VS KONG WEEKEND THREAD | Read the rules before posting | 32.2M 3-Day/48.5M 5-Day | The monkey saved the theaters!

55 minutes ago, Cookson said:

That kind of news is screaming for the MV to continue. 

the problem is GvK is benefitting from novelty and timing. That doesn't necessarily mean another Godzilla only movie would do well especially due to the films likely budget

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the problem is GvK is benefitting from novelty and timing. That doesn't necessarily mean another Godzilla only movie would do well especially due to the films likely budget

Whether or not this benefits from novelty and timing, I wonder if future Monsterverse can attract GA without feeling like a repeat of any of the 4 movies just with different monsters. Watching giant monsters fight is awesome but even that can become exhausting and repetitive.

Just watched Godzilla vs Kong Kong! Goddamn that movie was relentlessly entertaining. Couldn’t be more happy with how it turned out. Liked it a lot more than Godzilla:Kotm. Will check out in imax later this week.

4.5/5.0

• Like 2

12 hours ago, john2000 said:

i expect actuals to hit 50

I was hoping for 50m 5 days....but turns out there are still room that we need for that number. Anyway, one can understand now how important LA/NY are after this week as GvK become the first film to have both cities in the debut market.

11 hours ago, DAJK said:

I'm really trying to get a grasp on how much COVID is impacting these numbers. If we look at something like T&J last month, I would have normally thought something like a 35M opening, so COVID more than halved that. But if COVID is halving a movie's box office potential, would that mean that something like Raya was only going to do 16-20M opening in normal times? I have a hard time believing that.

So what's the magic number? COVID is causing movies to do 1/3 of what they would normally do? Raya a 24M opener, Tom and Terry a 42M opener, and GVK a 97M opener (~140M 5-day)? I know there probably isn't a magic number, but I'd be curious what you guys think these movies would have done in a normal world.

The higher the original opening number go ,the less likely u can just 3x their opening weekend. T&J is unlikely to hit 40m with that dismal reviews and GvK benefit from the lack of blockbuster that give it some novelty advantage.

Yesterday I was thinking how GvK should open par Fallen Kingdom in normalcy. The trailer was much more impressive for GvK. In my head I had JW:FK opening at around $100-120M, but it was higher at $148M, which feels just too much for GvK, or was it? I mean fwiw, no one thought JW will open 200M. The general expectations I believe were $110-125M. It's just JW opening of 200M which we eased in thinking 150M ish for JW:FK

Like why will JW:FK be opening bigger than GvK. 🤨

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well, this is certainly ironically appropriate.  I just hit the Zillo Beast arc on my Clone Wars rewatch. 👍

latest?cb=20120911231801

@Cap @Menor @Brainbug @Inceptionzq

Very underloved arc. Though Zillo beast was clearly from the name a Godzilla homage, he had enough uniqueness in the design and personality that I felt for him as a character, just as I would in a good kaiju movie. I hope the ending twist of that arc is eventually paid off in future SW

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Menor said:

Very underloved arc. Though Zillo beast was clearly from the name a Godzilla homage, he had enough uniqueness in the design and personality that I felt for him as a character, just as I would in a good kaiju movie. I hope the ending twist of that arc is eventually paid off in future SW

It allegedly was gonna be an arc in S7, had TCW not been cancelled back in the day.

Always room for it to be revisitied in either The Bad Batch, if it has multiple seasons, or even a standalone movie, should LFL decide to revisit the "lost missions" of the TCW in movie format some time down the road.

And, yes, I was struck by how sad they made the last scenes of the arc and another pebble of failure to put on the backs of the Jedi.

In fact, it might be one of the first episodes of TCW where the Jedi did fail to save the day/have them face consequences for not living up to their principles (though it won't be the last).

Edited by Porthos

I had this as the climax to a 4-movie franchise, but people are talking about another Kong and Godzilla solo release. I don't know where they can go from here...already done KOTM...a remake of baby Godzilla? Where Kong ended up could set up a possibility for Kong 3...

One dud, 2014 Godzilla. That team forgot to actually put Godzilla in the movie 🙂. Overall this will be a great franchise on the home market for years to come. 

Australia is pretty much in normalcy since few months now. GvK opened with A$8.1M there last week, and usually Aus and DOM numbers are correlated, with some exceptions.

As compared to Kong: Skull Island OZ opening was +72% while +205% G:KotM and +19% Godzilla (2014). That will give a range of $105, $146M and $110M opening weekend domestically respectively in normalcy, which I pretty much think was likely. The average of 3 is $120M, I can make peace with that.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 6

Overseas number is up by 0.4m to 237.3m. That worldwide total imply that domestic actual opening is at 48m

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">GODZILLA VS. KONG<br>$136.5M China Total<br>$237.3M Overseas Total / 38 Markets<br>$285.3M Global Total <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Godzilla?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Godzilla</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Kong?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Kong</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GodzillaVsKong?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GodzillaVsKong</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BoxOffice?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BoxOffice</a></p>&mdash; Boxoffice Pro (@BoxOffice) <a href="https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/1379134194006249472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 5, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 2:57 PM, DeeCee said:

All things being equal AUD7.7m = USD75-85m. 

Lock it in Eddy. 

Given the opening Domestic and the relative restrictions Domestic vs Australia this seems fairly accurate of what the opening could have been. Probably actually would have gone $90-100m. 

Looks like it will be the highest grossing Monsterverse film in Australia.