Eric Duncan

GODZILLA VS KONG WEEKEND THREAD | Read the rules before posting | 32.2M 3-Day/48.5M 5-Day | The monkey saved the theaters!

Some information on theater count.

While the movie is booked at 3000 theaters or 6000 screens, the most for any wide release during the pandemic after Tenet‘s 2,810 and WW1984‘s 2,151. On the upside for Warner Bros, it will have full control of Imax and PLFs for the month of April between Godzilla vs. Kong and Mortal Kombat. Of the former’s theater count, 285 sites are Imax auditoriums, 650 are PLF screens, over 700 are 3D, with another 150 drive-ins.

Extracted from Deadline, but they didn't include T&J when it opened at 2475 theaters. Also, I am surprised at WW84 managed to retain 1000++ theaters after 14 weeks although its leg hasn't been great. I guess all those will be reallocated to GvK by this week

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Most of the them have opening estimation at 30m 5 days. that would imply that 3 days weekend number to be in the same range of ww84. To me that number really have nothing to cheer about when everything have improved a lot more from December last year.

Yeah but remember, for WW84 these trades were saying 5-7 million 3-day. Doesn't mean they'll necessarily be wrong again, of course, but the trades have a tendency to be really conservative so that they can report pretty much anything as an "overperformance". And I find it quite hard to see just 30 million from the numbers that it's doing. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

Team Godzilla!!!!!!!!!

Even though its uncertain for me when ill ever be able to watch this masterpiece (i just know it is) in the meantime i can at least still root for its box office success!

The trades are relying on what the DOM BO has delivered for the Covid era and then bumping up for different factors (more theaters, blockbuster, holiday, etc).

I said CA opening bumped me from $25M to $30M last week.  So, the trades stole my number, but I think my number could tick up a little to $35M/5 day:).  

I wanna get shocked and see my number blown out of the water.  It would make me happy to be spectacularly wrong after getting Raya's opening spectacularly right:)...But, Covid era has to prove it can deliver a big number before I throw caution to the wind and tout a big number (although, double normal Top 10 DOM Era Covid BO is, in itself, a big number:)...

• Like 2

Bought an IMAX ticket to see it this afternoon.  I think my last movie theater experience was...maybe Jumanji 2?   Wow.  Very excited.  I'm fully vaccinated, and based on the CDC's latest statement, it seems highly unlikely I can either catch or transmit the virus. That was what I was waiting to hear.  Ready to see some movies.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Cool af radioactive lizard > generic silly monkey

20M 5 day would be cool I guess? 

The Tracking Thread indicates that 20M will probably be achievied from Wed - Friday. So imo the target for the 5-Day could be more like 40M+.

Just now, AN9815 said:

So good to be excited again for a weekend thread, it feels like an eternity has passed. Maybe it is a stupid question but is 'Godzilla vs Kong' going to have Tuesday previews?

Team Kong

There were no Tuesday previews

• Like 3

Review. No spoilers but just for sake of it putting in Spoiler tag. I loved the good part of it, don't care about the bad part of it.

Spoiler

The human non-sense is strained to a minimum, good connection with Kong and I love 11 no matter how bad character she in. What left of the film is PURE MASS. Damn those final 10 mins minus humans. Damn. Not this overwhelmed since Endgame. 7/10.

PS. MASS is a term we use in India to define something "overwhelming" (I guess). Just never saw anyone outside India use that so clarified it. May be rest of world also use it.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

50/50 chance I'll watch this tonight. Does anyone know of a good YT video summarizing the other 3 monsterverse films so I can get caught up without having to watch them all again?

Spoiler

You need not watch anything I suppose. Even if you go blind.

Spoiler

There is one opening credit presentation type thingy which basically has flashbacks from previous films events.

• Thanks 1