Eric Atreides

GODZILLA VS KONG WEEKEND THREAD | Read the rules before posting | 32.2M 3-Day/48.5M 5-Day | The monkey saved the theaters!

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

What do you mean 10M OD? Are people in America aware this is available on HBO MAX and torrents? I have tons of friends and people on my facebook feed here in Portugal who saw it last night.

4bUV7Ls.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

56 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

May be a million or million and half more. problem wasnt the demand yesterday, it was the lack of seats.

100% agreed.  To give an example for those who weren't following the Tracking thread, it for all practical purposes capped in Sacramento.  Only the least trafficked theaters in town didn't reach capacity yesterday or come within a couple of seats of it.

Might be some other markets where there was more capacity or it didn't play as well.  But, well look at the tale of the tape locally at 4pm:

17 hours ago, Porthos said:

Godzilla Vs. Kong Greater Sacramento Area Opening Day Seat Report: OPENING DAY FINAL REPORT [4:00 - 4:25]

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

87.24%

And if I remove two theaters which recently switched to reserved seating and are still stadium/non-recliner seating (they don't perform nearly as well as the rest of the town), I get:

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

95.19%

95% of seats sold is... A lot of seats sold. :lol:

Well, it is. :lol: 

(those percentage of seats sold are of the available capped seats and not the actual physical number of seats in an auditorium)

Edited by Porthos

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

100% agreed.  To give an example for those who weren't following the Tracking thread, it for all practical purposes capped in Sacramento.  Only the least trafficked theaters in town didn't reach capacity yesterday or come within a couple of seats of it.

Might be some other markets where there was more capacity or it didn't play as well.  But, well look at the tale of the tape locally at 4pm:

And if I remove two theaters which recently switched to reserved seating and are still stadium/non-recliner seating (they don't perform nearly as well as the rest of the town), I get:

(those percentage of seats sold are of the available capped seats and not the actual physical number of seats in an auditorium)

Philly was nearly maxed out too from @Eric #TeamKong's data. The big theaters in NYC and CA were also practically all sold out. Even my old local Cinemark in a mid-sized Texas town was nearly full to capacity with only some front row seats left. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Porthos said:

How GvK attempt to challenge capacity restriction this weekend

340?cb=20150628062826

• Haha 3

The fact that this movie is also available on HBO Max makes that these box office numbers all the more impressive. It’s crazy to think that if there had been no pandemic, and this was released last year like it was supposed to, it might’ve been one of the biggest movies of 2020. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The fact that this movie is also available on HBO Max makes that these box office numbers all the more impressive. It’s crazy to think that if there had been no pandemic, and this was released last year like it was supposed to, it might’ve been one of the biggest movies of 2020. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it had opened over 100 million DOM, and without piracy perhaps 90-100 million in China as well. Asia numbers would have been massive. It would've been the biggest Monsterverse film by far. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The real test is the legs.  How much does it being available on streaming mean going forward.  Not so much for OW, as there is still something of an event feel (well, pandemic bracket), but what about the weekday numbers as well as week 2, 3, and so on.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

17 minutes ago, Menor said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it had opened over 100 million DOM, and without piracy perhaps 90-100 million in China as well. Asia numbers would have been massive. It would've been the biggest Monsterverse film by far. 

While I feel it would have done well in normal times, I feel like a good chunk of the buzz for this is just its timing. It's the first crowdpleasing major tentpole release in over a year, coming out just when the two biggest markets in the country went back up, at a time when cases are going down (well, kind of) and vaccinations are rising up. Obviously it's not the only reason, but being first does have its advantages

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

While I feel it would have done well in normal times, I feel like a good chunk of the buzz for this is just its timing. It's the first crowdpleasing major tentpole release in over a year, coming out just when the two biggest markets in the country went back up, at a time when cases are going down (well, kind of) and vaccinations are rising up. Obviously it's not the only reason, but being first does have its advantages

Idk, the trailer was really massive and I don't think it was just timing. And it has been doing big numbers in many countries with many different Covid situations. Historically, we know that crossovers to tend to have significant upside potential relative to the rest of the franchise, seems like that was the case here. I think, while the timing is certainly better than Tenet or Wonder Woman 1984, it's mostly a hindrance in terms of this movie reaching its full potential. 

• Like 6

I kind of take back some of my original comment. I guess I’m more thinking about how much it might have ended up with, as the limited capacity is clearly meaning it’s maxed out for the weekend. 
How many that are renting and HBO’ing it all over the world would have gone to see it on the big screen? I guess we’ll never know. 

We were so close to having a throwback event movie that people would have had to have waited for availability of seats to go see. Alas, they can watch it however they desire instead. It’s a shame I think. This thing could have played to covid capacity for months. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Super pumped to see this in theaters, and also to see some positives numbers again. I really didn't anticipate being this excited. It's a nice feeling. :lol: 

Yes boxoffice is back and feeling is back! :bravo:

Fantastic opening! Do you guys think that studios might get encouraged to go for full theatrical in the upcoming months instead of the hybrid release (theater and streaming)? :crosses fingers for Black Widow full theatrical:

• Like 4