Eric Duncan

GODZILLA VS KONG WEEKEND THREAD | Read the rules before posting | 32.2M 3-Day/48.5M 5-Day | The monkey saved the theaters!

52 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Well someone didn't do the yearly predicts.

I said Dune would do 300M :Venom: 

31 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Lmao at saying a 80-90M grosser is a big grosser :hahaha:This shit cost like 200M, it is a bombastic FLOP.

Dream a little bigger, darling.

30 minutes ago, CJohn said:

9.6M-6.7M-11M-10M-6M seems realistic.

I won't even bother to sum that.

It'll increase a lot more than that with 600 extra theaters and a holiday.

I will renounce Nolan and Snyder if this beats King of the Monsters in America.

Huge gross isn't 110M tho either way. This should be doing 200M in a normal market.

13 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I will renounce Nolan and Snyder if this beats King of the Monsters in America.

Huge gross isn't 110M tho either way. This should be doing 200M in a normal market.

Weren't you earlier saying 20 million 5-day would be good? Now that it's doing more than double that it's a flop? 

• Like 3

Mind, I have no clue what the legs will be like given I also have no idea how much demand has been burned off with the stellar-for-pandemic-era opening.  Not to mention just sitting there on HBO Max for peeps to watch.

Can't even compare WOM to something like Tom and Jerry, given there is a very real difference between a 14m opener and a 40 to 50m one (even if over 5 days for the latter).

But not beating $110m DOM?  Man, I wouldn't be tempting fate by renouncing any franchise.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Lmao at saying a 80-90M grosser is a big grosser :hahaha:This shit cost like 200M, it is a bombastic FLOP.

pandemic and hbo max changes what 'big' means. also it did open to 122m os.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

It'll increase a lot more than that with 600 extra theaters and a holiday.

The movie is on HBO MAX and on torrents lol. 

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The movie is on HBO MAX and on torrents lol. 

As I said on the other page, the audience going to theaters rn (which is growing every day as vaccinations rise) isn't the HBO Max audience.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, it's clear that HBO Max isn't really gaining many new subscribers/activations for the day-and-date strategy. WW84 only gained a few million from Early December, and at that point, not even 50% of HBO subscribers activated Max. Audiences who want to see the films in theaters will keep going there instead of getting another streaming service.

I don't think that's entirely fair here. A 36% leap in just one month seems like a pretty strong increase to me, especially for a service that started out pretty rocky, though admittedly it is hard to do comparisons from month to month with this kind of stuff.

And since December, we've only had one subscriber update in January and nothing else since then. Not really a good sample to definitively say the day-and-date strategy isn't working. And just judging by the iOS charts, where HBO Max is currently #1, ahead of YouTube and TikTok and whatnot, it seems like people are eager to watch this movie both at home and in theaters.

I'd prefer to wait until the next subscriber update before saying Max isn't gaining much from this strategy.

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Weren't you earlier saying 20 million 5-day would be good? Now that it's doing more than double that it's a flop? 

This is CJohn. He's always doing a dumb bit. Just let him do his thing and he'll tire himself out eventually

• Like 2

Of course 20M would be good. "Good" but bad. This movie is available on HBO MAX and torrents. Doing 40M instead of 20M is better, but in the end it is still a theatrical flop. Hopefully it brought in some good subs to HBO MAX. I have embraced my streaming Gods.

31 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Of course 20M would be good. "Good" but bad. This movie is available on HBO MAX and torrents. Doing 40M instead of 20M is better, but in the end it is still a theatrical flop. Hopefully it brought in some good subs to HBO MAX. I have embraced my streaming Gods.

And as soon as you're out of lockdown you'll be complaining about stupid Portuguese Intermissions again

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

i feel 90-100 dom is feasible for gvk with low-40s 5-day ow.

something like

16.3 wed-thu +26 fss (for over 42 5-day) + 26*2x = ~94 dom

(for 26 fss thinking 9 + 10 + 7)

22 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

And as soon as you're out of lockdown you'll be complaining about stupid Portuguese Intermissions again

I don't think I ever complained? I actually liked them. I don't have much free time for moviegoing anymore. I am sure I will see GvK over the next few days as well as the Awards movies I am still missing.