Eric Duncan

GODZILLA VS KONG WEEKEND THREAD | Read the rules before posting | 32.2M 3-Day/48.5M 5-Day | The monkey saved the theaters!

Don't know what drug Deadline is on to project 42m 5 days opening for GvK.........

Godzilla vs. Kong is now up to $27.9M in three days after an $11.6M Friday at 3,064 locations, which was up 73% over Thursday. The 5-day projection for the Adam Wingard-directed Warner Bros/Legendary title is $42M — far and away the best opening (3 and 5 day) we’ve seen at the domestic B.O. during the pandemic, meaning since mid-March of 2020.

In second place for the weekend is Universal’s R-rated Bob Odenkirk action movie Nobody with $2.78M for the weekend, -59% for an expected 10-day of $11.5M at 2,567 theaters. It was expected that Nobody would get crushed in weekend 2 due to losing PLF turf to Godzilla vs. Kong. Nobody made $1.02M on Friday, -59% from a week ago.

Sony/Screen Gems The Unholy horror movie looks to be taking 3rd for the weekend after an estimated $1.2M Friday, and a 3-day north of $2.5M at 1,850 theaters.

Disney’s Raya and the Last Dragonwhich is also available on Disney+ Premier tier for an extra $30, made $800K in its 5th Friday at 2,031 locations, in what looks to be weekend around $2M, -47%, in 4th place and a running total of $32.1M.

Warner Bros.’ Tom & Jerry is 5th for the weekend looking at $500K on Friday, and around $1.2M, -52%, in its 6th weekend for a running total of $39.3M.

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Don't know what drug Deadline is on to project 42m 5 days opening for GvK.........

Godzilla vs. Kong is now up to $27.9M in three days after an $11.6M Friday at 3,064 locations, which was up 73% over Thursday. The 5-day projection for the Adam Wingard-directed Warner Bros/Legendary title is $42M — far and away the best opening (3 and 5 day) we’ve seen at the domestic B.O. during the pandemic, meaning since mid-March of 2020.

In second place for the weekend is Universal’s R-rated Bob Odenkirk action movie Nobody with $2.78M for the weekend, -59% for an expected 10-day of $11.5M at 2,567 theaters. It was expected that Nobody would get crushed in weekend 2 due to losing PLF turf to Godzilla vs. Kong. Nobody made $1.02M on Friday, -59% from a week ago.

Sony/Screen Gems The Unholy horror movie looks to be taking 3rd for the weekend after an estimated $1.2M Friday, and a 3-day north of $2.5M at 1,850 theaters.

deadline doesnt need drugs mate, , they are the drugs

• Haha 5

The market is looking to be extremely slow between now and Memorial Day weekend (Cruella/A Quiet Place) outside of potentially Mortal Kombat and Spiral so wonder if anything will move up to take advantage. Probably not since the June/July titles seem locked in at this point.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The market is looking to be extremely slow between now and Memorial Day weekend (Cruella/A Quiet Place) outside of potentially Mortal Kombat and Spiral so wonder if anything will move up to take advantage. Probably not since the June/July titles seem locked in at this point.

Surprised no one decided to take Black Widow's spot. Strange that Spiral moved up but didn't take the date. 

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

In a normal marketplace, that would make sense. 

But it doesn't make sense for any big films to move forward. A film in July/August is much better placed than one in early May simply because more people will be vaccinated by then. 

The US just hit a record 4 million vaccinations in one day this week, however there are still hundreds of millions of people who need to be vaccinated still. Less than 100 million out of 330 million have been fully vaccinated. 3-4 months will make a much bigger different than just 1 month.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tonytr87 said:

Surprised no one decided to take Black Widow's spot. Strange that Spiral moved up but didn't take the date. 

Guy Ritchie's Wrath of Man with Jason Statham took that date but it would probably make The Gentlemen numbers at most in any scenario.

Very happy to see the really good numbers...

If you take Deadline's number, which is too low, it looks like DOM Top 10 3-day weekend should be at least $40M (if you assume movies #6-10 make about $4M combined)...I think that can go higher and maybe we can see a true doubling of the best Top 10 DOM 3 day weekend (Xmas 2020 - doubling $23.77M, we'd need $47.4M) we've had since April 2020...

Yes, I skipped Tenet's weekend b/c 11 days of movie revenue just seems unfair to have to double...but if we include it, we'd need around $54M Top 10 DOM for the 3 day:)...

Definitely a huge step in the right direction...we've got a market now up to about 15-20% of normal possible, I think (if Endgame represented 110%+ of normal possible:), and the movies this year don't need 100% to do awesome - if we can get to 50% of normal possible, it should be a good summer...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Guy Ritchie's Wrath of Man with Jason Statham took that date but it would probably make The Gentlemen numbers at most in any scenario.

People are pumped the Josh Hartnett comeback...

Just kidding but that and a few others may over perform. 

25 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

we've got a market now up to about 15-20% of normal possible

I think its lot more than 15-20%

GvK FSSM shall be $37-42M. Raya, Nobody and T&J shall be $9-10M. The others probably another $4-5M. That's 50-57M weekend.

Recent years Easter weekends

2019 - $121M

2018 - $155M

So about 32-47% of last two Easter weekends.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think its lot more than 15-20%

GvK FSSM shall be $37-42M. Raya, Nobody and T&J shall be $9-10M. The others probably another $4-5M. That's 50-57M weekend.

Recent years Easter weekends

2019 - $121M

2018 - $155M

So about 32-47% of last two Easter weekends.

From your lips to more for that 3 day Godzilla number - But yeah, if it gets $10M-$15M higher than Deadline's estimate for the 3 day, the market looks even better on its path to summer:)...

• Like 1

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

Unfortunately I don't think there is any film looking to follow GvK strong performance. Widow in May would have been very useful.

I'm not gonna count out WB right now...they seem to be cracking the code on how to market and release the right material.

Wouldn't it be a shocker if Mortal Kombat can come close to GvK's numbers in a few weeks.  It will have the advantage of being this month's subscriber movie for the big 2 (and Regal is coming online with another subscriber base looking to get back and see something).  

I wish a kid/family movie lined up into early May (Mother's Day weekend would be good) - I think that would sky pretty high right now, b/c the 2 kid movies will be "stale" by then...I mean, maybe GvK or Mortal Kombat will fill that role, but I'm thinking a touch more traditional:)...