Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread - Mortal Kombat 22.5, Demon Slayer 19.5

Demon Slayer‘s audience skewed 59% male and 41% female, 73% between 18-34 years old, with a diversity mix of 35% Hispanic, 27% Caucasian, 21% Asian/other and 17% Black.

Mortal Kombat drew in a broad audience of 30% Caucasian, 29% African American, 25% Hispanic, 9% Asian and 7% Native American, with males showing up at 67% and the 18-34 demo at 43%

• Like 2

Never thought i see an Anime movie give a action blockbuster a run for its money. Good. So tired of nothing but CGI cartoons dominating the Box office. No CGI movie has impressed me since Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse. I only hope Space Jam 2 doesn't spent too much on that horrid CG spot.

Edited by CrashBandicoot81
  • Like 1

This Demon Slayer movie is still so weird to me. I'll admit I don't watch anime but I think I have enough of an idea on geek culture that I know what's big and I'm aware of the big names today like Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia. But I never even heard of Demon Slayer until the box office reports for this started to come out and I don't see anybody on Twitter or whatever hype up or talk about this show or movie. So how is this movie doing so much better than that Dragon Ball Broly movie or all the other anime movies that come out here every year?

Is the show really that popular? Is it just that there's nothing out in theaters? Am I talking to the wrong people? I don't get it!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eric Bombay said:

Is the show really that popular? Is it just that there's nothing out in theaters? Am I talking to the wrong people? I don't get it!

Google Trends tell so and the comics is like most sold or something in USA as well, while in Japan its whole new level of Giant. Basically the series since its launch has just been crazy in Asia beating every other Manga series while in USA it is growing and beating Dragon Ball.

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://ssl.gstatic.com/trends_nrtr/2431_RC04/embed_loader.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> trends.embed.renderExploreWidget("TIMESERIES", {"comparisonItem":[{"keyword":"/g/11byz8037n","geo":"US","time":"2018-03-24 2021-04-24"},{"keyword":"/m/0k2dm","geo":"US","time":"2018-03-24 2021-04-24"}],"category":0,"property":""}, {"exploreQuery":"date=2018-03-24%202021-04-24&geo=US&q=%2Fg%2F11byz8037n,%2Fm%2F0k2dm","guestPath":"https://trends.google.com:443/trends/embed/"}); </script>

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eric Bombay said:

This Demon Slayer movie is still so weird to me. I'll admit I don't watch anime but I think I have enough of an idea on geek culture that I know what's big and I'm aware of the big names today like Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia. But I never even heard of Demon Slayer until the box office reports for this started to come out and I don't see anybody on Twitter or whatever hype up or talk about this show or movie. So how is this movie doing so much better than that Dragon Ball Broly movie or all the other anime movies that come out here every year?

Same here. A lot of anime fans I know talk about the two you mentioned and I've never heard any of them mention Demon Slayer. I had no idea it was a big anime until the movie went crazy at Japan's BO. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

Assuming demon slayer make 20m this opening weekend, it would be just another highlight for anime genre and probably it would be still a small/medium grosser in normal world . But what make DS' number so special is the movie managed to match pre-pandemic level number. DS is the first movie (in USA or overseas) that managed to perform like its pre-pandemic peers, even better. And this can no longer be seen as small/medium number in pandemic-era, it is a industry record .  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I didn’t realise industry expectations were $10-12m and $15m max so this is a win. 

Doean’t really tell you anything besides “industry expectations” being unbelievably idiotic 😛 

• Like 1

Both of these movies are likely gonna come close to what their potential would be in a pandemic-free environment (given their very fan-driven nature) so that's more good news for box office stability. It's gonna be a quiet few weeks due to lack of product: Spiral is the most high-profile movie opening over the next month but will also appeal to a niche demographic, while the Memorial Day weekend combo of Cruella and A Quiet Place 2 are the next movies that have actual blockbuster aspirations attached to them. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

What in the blue fuck is Demon Slayer? This might be the first time ever that a movie opened number one that I did not know of until the day it came out. 

Check the Japanese thread. Made almost 400 mill there during a pandemic and broke every record known to man

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Both of these movies are likely gonna come close to what their potential would be in a pandemic-free environment (given their very fan-driven nature) so that's more good news for box office stability. It's gonna be a quiet few weeks due to lack of product: Spiral is the most high-profile movie opening over the next month but will also appeal to a niche demographic, while the Memorial Day weekend combo of Cruella and A Quiet Place 2 are the next movies that have actual blockbuster aspirations attached to them. 

I think Spiral has potential to do 25m+ and Here Today 10m+

6 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I think Spiral has potential to do 25m+ and Here Today 10m+

Here Today is the latest movie Sony has quickly picked up and will be releasing on short notice with little fanfare in the pandemic era (The Broken Hearts Gallery, The Last Shift, Yellow Rose, The Kid Detective, Long Weekend). I doubt it makes more than high single digits total at most.

Edited by filmlover

23 minutes ago, Menor said:

Same here. A lot of anime fans I know talk about the two you mentioned and I've never heard any of them mention Demon Slayer. I had no idea it was a big anime until the movie went crazy at Japan's BO. 

Actually a lot of people, especially in non-Japanese only heard of this new anime franchise after it was released as movie in Japan last Oct but since then, it quickly gain people attention after it destroyed japanese box office record . With most of the time people staying at home in 2020, this provide more time for general public to catch its 26 episode anime series online. this provide ample time for the finale to build its buzz leading up to its theatrical release.   

17 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

What in the blue fuck is Demon Slayer? This might be the first time ever that a movie opened number one that I did not know of until the day it came out. 

Canon anime movie and the most impressive single market performance of the century 😎