Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread - Mortal Kombat 22.5, Demon Slayer 19.5

1 hour ago, Eric Bombay said:

This Demon Slayer movie is still so weird to me. I'll admit I don't watch anime but I think I have enough of an idea on geek culture that I know what's big and I'm aware of the big names today like Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia. But I never even heard of Demon Slayer until the box office reports for this started to come out and I don't see anybody on Twitter or whatever hype up or talk about this show or movie. So how is this movie doing so much better than that Dragon Ball Broly movie or all the other anime movies that come out here every year?

Is the show really that popular? Is it just that there's nothing out in theaters? Am I talking to the wrong people? I don't get it!

Yes, it's very popular. When the show was airing in 2019-2020 it was constantly trending on Twitter and r/anime. It was the top-selling manga in 2020 from Shonen Jump ( the biggest manga magazine in Japan) the film also has the added bonus of picking up where the first season left off unlike the Dragon Ball and MHA movies which are basically side stories.

16 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually a lot of people, especially in non-Japanese only heard of this new anime franchise after it was released as movie in Japan last Oct but since then, it quickly gain people attention after it destroyed japanese box office record . With most of the time people staying at home in 2020, this provide more time for general public to catch its 26 episode anime series online. this provide ample time for the finale to build its buzz leading up to its theatrical release.   

Even then, during the run-up to its release here, I never saw any discussion about Demon Slayer online, apart from the Tracking Thread of course. Maybe I'm not following the right people, but it's still strange to me this is overperforming like crazy over any other anime movie here in the States

3 minutes ago, Eric Bombay said:

Even then, during the run-up to its release here, I never saw any discussion about Demon Slayer online, apart from the Tracking Thread of course. Maybe I'm not following the right people, but it's still strange to me this is overperforming like crazy over any other anime movie here in the States

Maybe they are too weeb and choose to post and discuss it in japanese language. That probably explain why dubbed version aren't selling great. 

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Google Trends tell so and the comics is like most sold or something in USA as well, while in Japan its whole new level of Giant. Basically the series since its launch has just been crazy in Asia beating every other Manga series while in USA it is growing and beating Dragon Ball.

A huge part of the boom was that the series ended last year. So yes it sold ALOT but that was because the anime series and people playing catch-up. The biggest manga series in the world in terms of copies sold of all time is One Piece

35 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

What in the blue fuck is Demon Slayer? This might be the first time ever that a movie opened number one that I did not know of until the day it came out. 

The show's on Netflix if you're interested (and I'm saying it for everyone cuz I highly recommend checking it out)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Bombay said:

The anime thread here doesn't get a lot of attention.

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Maybe they are too weeb and choose to post and discuss it in japanese language. That probably explain why dubbed version aren't selling great. 

Well the series is set in Japan so it makes sense that the Subbed version is out selling the dubbed version.

37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Here Today is the latest movie Sony has quickly picked up and will be releasing on short notice with little fanfare in the pandemic era (The Broken Hearts Gallery, The Last Shift, Yellow Rose, The Kid Detective, Long Weekend). I doubt it makes more than high single digits total at most.

Tiffany Haddish and Billy Crystal are a much more bankable pairing than all of those films. Like a Boss had more competition  in January 2020 and still managed to make 10m OW.  It really doesn't have any competition and coming out on Mother's Day weekend. 

Edited by babz06

38 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

What in the blue fuck is Demon Slayer? This might be the first time ever that a movie opened number one that I did not know of until the day it came out. 

For those who need shortcut. Out of its 26 episode, only these episode are matter if you are a casual viewer.

Epi 1-2: Introduction of the universe

Epi 7-8: Introduction of ultimate villian (Thanos equivalent) 

Epi18-20: Battle with one of the major villian who is one of the apprentice of the ultimate villian abovementioned.  

Epi 26: Introduction of the main villian in Demon slayer movie and the end of the series is linked directly to the opening scene of DS movie.

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually a lot of people, especially in non-Japanese only heard of this new anime franchise after it was released as movie in Japan last Oct but since then, it quickly gain people attention after it destroyed japanese box office record . With most of the time people staying at home in 2020, this provide more time for general public to catch its 26 episode anime series online. this provide ample time for the finale to build its buzz leading up to its theatrical release.   

Interesting. I guess the sample of anime fans I know/see online is just skewed then, because the only place I have seen buzz for this (without specifically searching for it) is on BOT lol.  

38 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Yes, it's very popular. When the show was airing in 2019-2020 it was constantly trending on Twitter and r/anime. It was the top-selling manga in 2020 from Shonen Jump ( the biggest manga magazine in Japan) the film also has the added bonus of picking up where the first season left off unlike the Dragon Ball and MHA movies which are basically side stories.

Eh fair enough. FWIW anime has always been my one blind spot when it comes to geek/pop culture. I think the last anime show I watched was...Pokemon like...13 years ago, and the only other anime show I can think of that has me even remotely interested is Beastars. And even then, I'm just interested in Beastars for the furry stuff. Haven't even seen Ghibli movies before. It still seems weird this did so well compared to everything else, but I guess this is just a fan culture I have no real idea about.

I can’t say I’m particularly interested in this turning into a debate about anime dubs, but I will say that after having read about how ridiculously big this movie was in Japan, I had a hunch it might’ve done better than expected it North America. Mind you, I didn’t think it’d get a bigger Friday opening than the Mortal Kombat film. Hollywood’s historic dominance at the box office may very well be coming to an end. 

33 minutes ago, Eric Bombay said:

Eh fair enough. FWIW anime has always been my one blind spot when it comes to geek/pop culture. I think the last anime show I watched was...Pokemon like...13 years ago, and the only other anime show I can think of that has me even remotely interested is Beastars. And even then, I'm just interested in Beastars for the furry stuff. Haven't even seen Ghibli movies before. It still seems weird this did so well compared to everything else, but I guess this is just a fan culture I have no real idea about.

Just watch it, then you probably will not feel weird at all. I stopped watching anime since 10 years ago, I said to myself I'm not an anime person anymore, until last year I saw this DS, few episodes instantly falls into it.

Few things that make it stands out:

1, Simple story about family bonds, even a 5-year-old can understand, but also has hyped fights and historical background that attracts teens and older groups

2, Great character design, main character acting very mature, has a lot of good qualities, many good female characters compared to walking boobs in other anime, this makes fanbase covers both gender. Even each major villain has a good back story

3, Writing is very tight, very good pacing. The writer knows how to keep and hold people’s interest. It keeps you excited for what’s going to happen next, and it moves you through the story at a really good pace

4, Artistic animation style, Ufotable the studio blends CGI with 2D really well, they added a traditional japanese art style called Ukiyo E to the fight scenes, makes the graphic very refreshing. Sony the shareholder, really wants to take a bite out of the anime market, put hugh budget into DS, even the TV show's bgm is film-scored

5, People die! No supernatural power to revive, grief and loss are felt deeply. This creates a real and raw feeling for the people who just recovered from the pandemic. The show teaches the viewers to have discipline in life.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I can’t say I’m particularly interested in this turning into a debate about anime dubs, but I will say that after having read about how ridiculously big this movie was in Japan, I had a hunch it might’ve done better than expected it North America. Mind you, I didn’t think it’d get a bigger Friday opening than the Mortal Kombat film. Hollywood’s historic dominance at the box office may very well be coming to an end. 

Demon Slayer Friday was $5.7M...

• Like 1