Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread - Mortal Kombat 22.5, Demon Slayer 19.5

56 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I completely agree. MK was really bad! It took me all weekend to get through it. Just finished. However, these box office numbers bode well for the future. Maybe Bond, Black Widow, F9 and Top Gun will be okay. They may be able to reach 100+ million opening weekends. 

Black Widow and Suicide Squad are the only films I can see opening over 100M, that’s if the USA continues on this upward trend. Can’t see the other three opening that high, especially when you look at their franchise history. Space Jam also has a good shot, but we’ll see

12 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Black Widow and Suicide Squad are the only films I can see opening over 100M, that’s if the USA continues on this upward trend. Can’t see the other three opening that high, especially when you look at their franchise history. Space Jam also has a good shot, but we’ll see

Neither BW and SS have a chance with hybrid release. Only hardcore fans will go to theatre. There is a ceiling to these releases. I am sure we will find out with BW release. Plus I dont think we will see theatres with 100% capacity this summer. Probably not even fall. 

2 hours ago, lor15 said:

Raya is having great drops, wom must be very good and i’m not surprised bc it’s amazing.

It’s had absolutely zero family competition.

This is its 9th weekend with no direct competition. 

It has another 5 easy weekends to go with no family competition making it 14 weeks in total. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Why not AQP2? May not be 3 days 100m but 4 days Memorial weekend?

19 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Why not AQP2? May not be 3 days 100m but 4 days Memorial weekend?

Maybe but I were a betting man, odds are Black Widow and Suicide Squad have the highest chances due to franchise history and superhero films being the most popular films at the box office. 

AQP2, FF9, SJ2, Bond and MI7 will more than likely also do good, but superhero films are going to resurrect the box office in July, August and September (Black Widow, Suicide Squad, Shang Chi) 

56 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Franchise history is very good for Top Gun 2.  That still doesn't mean it will open big, but not because of franchise history

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I seriously doubt that The Suicide Squad is crossing $100 million on OW.

Oh well. When it opens big, don’t act surprised. SS was pretty popular amongst the general audience. And the new trailer was well received 

Honestly I don't really see any 100M opener until Spider-Man. Even disregarding capacity and same-day VOD windows, none of the movies coming down to the pipeline scream "100M opener" to me. Maybe F9, but I think June is too early for that kind of stuff to happen. Though at this point, I don't think the studios have reaching that mark as a top priority at this stage

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eric Bombay said:

Honestly I don't really see any 100M opener until Spider-Man. Even disregarding capacity and same-day VOD windows, none of the movies coming down to the pipeline scream "100M opener" to me. Maybe F9, but I think June is too early for that kind of stuff to happen. Though at this point, I don't think the studios have reaching that mark as a top priority at this stage

I could see Eternals opening to $100 million after Chloé Zhao inevitably becomes a big name tonight. 

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I could see Eternals opening to $100 million after Chloé Zhao inevitably becomes a big name tonight. 

If Eternals open to $100M be assured it will have nothing to do with Zhao winning some award or not. MCU is too big to have any impact/boost from such things.

• Like 1