Eric Duncan

93rd Academy Awards Discussion Thread | Nomadland, Hopkins, McDormand, Zhao, Youn, Kaluuya win

AA-Post-1-scaled.jpg?ssl=1

In an awards season nobody truly cares about, we are finally at the grand finale. The pandemic has pretty much made movies, especially awards darlings, irrelevant. So there's no real hype or major discourse as there has been in previous years. Whether or not that's a good thing is, of course, up to you. But for the few of us who do care, we should still have some good fun as we see the people we love get rewards, the people we hate get rewards, enjoy some movie trailers, and have all our questions answered.

Will Chloe Zhao's Amazon propaganda win it all? Will Pixar win the Animated Feature award again? Will Netflix come up short in trophies? Will there be meltdowns? Well...okay we all know the answer to that last one.

As always, follow the usual rules. Be nice, be civil, have fun. Do anything stupid, you're getting warning points. Enjoy!

DetailedObeseKangaroo-max-1mb.gif

It seems almost guaranteed that Nomadland will be the big winner tonight. Anyway, I’m not going to be watching the Oscars this year. I’m going to be with family for the day and I don’t have much interest in this year’s Oscars anyway. I’ll just look up the results. 

Given the nature of film distribution and awards shows for the last 13 months, I feel like this has to be the year for a super-freaking-coconuts shock winner in one or more major categories, right? As long as it’s not Glenn Close winning for Hillbilly Elegy, I’m here for any such shenanigans.

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

as long as the father wins either actor or screenplay I'll be satisfied. the rest of the categories are kinda boring 

Actually best actress category has a very exciting race too, which I have a wild guess that Vanessa Kirby could end up wining the race eventually. 

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually best actress category has a very exciting race too, which I have a wild guess that Vanessa Kirby could end up wining the race eventually. 

I too think she'll win. Her biggest competitior is Frances Mcdormand and i don't think this is her year again.

EDIT. Oops, forgot abut Carey Mulligan. She's actually the front runner. i'm so meh on her

Edited by Maggie

22 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I too think she'll win. Her biggest competitior is Frances Mcdormand and i don't think this is her year again.

EDIT. Oops, forgot abut Carey Mulligan. She's actually the front runner. i'm so meh on her

Actually i think Mcdormand has a bigger chance than Mulligan, mulligan buzz has been on downward trend since the start of the season but Andra Day, viola davis, mcdormand all have their buzzy moment.  

• Like 1