Eric Duncan

93rd Academy Awards Discussion Thread | Nomadland, Hopkins, McDormand, Zhao, Youn, Kaluuya win

Between Close's surprise loss two years ago and now Boseman's shock loss, what we've learned is that Legacy Oscars don't exist anymore. Even people who have won for long careers like Julianne Moore and Christopher Plummer had a lot more going for them beyond "we MUST give him/her their moment at last."

Also just goes to show the sentiment for Chadwick's death only went so far. Everyone likes to bring up the Ledger comparison but let's be real, Ledger still would've won even if he were alive. None of the other four guys that year had any buzz whatsoever to them and were just lucky to be nominated.

• Like 2

Such a disservice to whole POC community when White people are always star of the show. I feel disgusted seeing Chadwick losing. He deserved it more than anyone else. Don't care if Hopkins was brilliant or not. Chadwick was robbed and I feel genuinely sad. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Between Close's surprise loss two years ago and now Boseman's shock loss, what we've learned is that Legacy Oscars don't exist anymore. Even people who have won for long careers like Julianne Moore and Christopher Plummer had a lot more going for them beyond "we MUST give him/her their moment at last."

Also just goes to show the sentiment for Chadwick's death only went so far. Everyone likes to bring up the Ledger comparison but let's be real, Ledger still would've won even if he were alive. None of the other four guys that year had any buzz whatsoever to them and were just lucky to be nominated.

Chadwick was not white. Let's be real for once. It's not like Oscar is awarded to objectively the best one anyway. 

FWIW Hopkins actually gives the best performance out of anyone in that category IMO. All five guys are excellent in their respective movies.

But it's hard not to say "yikes" to the fact the producers clearly set this up so that it would be a big emotional crowning moment for Chadwick to close the show (and even changing up the usual acting presentations so that last year's Best Actor winner, who won for playing an iconic comic book character, would pass the torch to another comic book movie icon, one that is sadly no longer with us) only for the rug to be pulled out from under them in a last minute surprise twist.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

FWIW Hopkins actually gives the best performance out of anyone in that category IMO. All five guys are excellent in their respective movies.

But it's hard not to say "yikes" to the fact the producers clearly set this up so that it would be a big emotional crowning moment for Chadwick to close the show (and even changing up the usual acting presentations so that last year's Best Actor winner, who won for playing an iconic comic book character, would pass the torch to another comic book movie icon, one that is sadly no longer with us) only for the rug to be pulled out from under them in a last minute surprise twist.

It was a perfect confluence of bad placement, a disinterested presenter (should have gone with tradition and Renee instead) and Hopkins not showing up which meant he couldn't even recognize Chadwick in his speech

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Chadwick was not white. Let's be real for once. It's not like Oscar is awarded to objectively the best one anyway. 

Because racism stopped Youn from winning tonight. Oh wait...

As for Actress, lol who the hell feels bad for Viola Davis not winning? She already has an Oscar and has already made history as the most nominated black actress ever. She'll be sleeping just fine tonight knowing she didn't win.

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Do we have to go there, especially when a woman of color won Best Director and Best Picture?

And? That's not a excuse my dear. Sorry if I offended someone. But one POC winning doesn't mean other can't win. 

You are saying as if POC women have been winning Best Director for long time. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Such a disservice to whole POC community when White people are always star of the show. I feel disgusted seeing Chadwick losing. He deserved it more than anyone else. Don't care if Hopkins was brilliant or not. Chadwick was robbed and I feel genuinely sad. 

Do you even see Hopkins in the father? His performance blew Boseman's miles away 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I never understood this whole “let’s give them an Oscar because they died” mentality anyway so I’m glad it’s seemingly no longer a thing. Don’t get me wrong, Chadwick Boseman was brilliant in everything he did and his death robbed us of countless more performances that would likely have won him legitimate and fully earned Oscars, but I doubt he’d want to win what is essentially a sympathy award when others gave a better performance in the past year.

Just now, grim22 said:

Final thoughts - awful ceremony, awful order of categories and a big gamble which blew up in their face.

Oh yes. I'm fully expecting the reviews for the telecast to be scathing as they trickle in over the next several hours.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Based on the anonymous ballots, it seems like lot of voters were expecting Boseman to win so they just voted for Hopkins instead. I think the narrative actually hurt him.

As much as I think Hopkins deserve more than Boseman, I feel so bad for boseman still. If they hadn't set boseman buzz so intensely throughout this season only to troll him in the end, especially when he is gone, I would have felt differently.