Eric Atreides

93rd Academy Awards Discussion Thread | Nomadland, Hopkins, McDormand, Zhao, Youn, Kaluuya win

The fact that Glen Close still didn't win with 8 nominations and a woc won at first try, proves that racism is not the reason Chadwick didn't win. I wanted him to win but i didn't see the father. people say Anthony H gave a great performance

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

And? That's not a excuse my dear. Sorry if I offended someone. But one POC winning doesn't mean other can't win. 

You are saying as if POC women have been winning Best Director for long time. 

She wasn’t the only person of color to win tonight, but regardless, you’re making it sound like Boseman should’ve won solely because he’s black. I’m sorry, but that’s  a very condescending take that does a disservice to Boseman’s skills as an actor. As a person of Middle Eastern descent, I would hate to be awarded something just because a bunch of white people are trying to fulfill some cynical racial or ethnic quota, and not based on my own merits. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Trial was the only BP nominee to go home empty handed. 

I'd say "more bad news for Netflix" after The Irishman became the only Best Picture nominee last year to go home with nothing but Chicago 7 wasn't even theirs to begin with (it was originally going to be released by Paramount until COVID happened and they sold it off).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'd say "more bad news for Netflix" after The Irishman became the only Best Picture nominee last year to go home with nothing but Chicago 7 wasn't even theirs to begin with (it was originally going to be released by Paramount until COVID happened and they sold it off).

Atleast trial was a good movie. Irishman deserved to go home with negative awards 

• Knock It Off 1

@Madhuvan I will also say this final thing: if you want to be upset over Boseman not winning, or the voters choosing because of some racial bias, fine. I think it's a bridge too far, but I get it.

But I think who you should be mad at more are the producers of this ceremony. They exploited a man's death, hyped his passing up for a Best Actor win, gave the audience an NFT of his face, rushed through the entire In Memoriam section until they got to him, and rearranged the entire ceremony for an award he might not have gotten in the first place, only for it to be all for naught. This is something you should be pretty angry about, considering Boseman and likely his widow did not consent to any of this exploitation.

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

Chadwick was fantastic in everything and all and would've made for a worthy winner based on his work in the movie alone but are we gonna be all sad he didn't win and that he should have won not for his performance but because he died? That...doesn't feel right. Let's not turn into Nancy Pelosi here. ;)

Edited by filmlover

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I still believe The Father isn't a real film and the Florian Zeller dude probably doesn't even exist (pretty sure that was just a hologram that was shown on the tv). 

And Hopkins didn't even give a speech. All this happening can't be a coincidence. 🤔

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eric Bombay said:

@Madhuvan I will also say this final thing: if you want to be upset over Boseman not winning, or the voters choosing because of some racial bias, fine. I think it's a bridge too far, but I get it.

But I think who you should be mad at more are the producers of this ceremony. They exploited a man's death, hyped his passing up for a Best Actor win, gave the audience an NFT of his face, rushed through the entire In Memoriam section until they got to him, and rearranged the entire ceremony for an award he might not have gotten in the first place, only for it to be all for naught. This is something you should be pretty angry about, considering Boseman and likely his widow did not consent to any of this exploitation.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I am just really sad how he gave up whole his life giving amazing performances and doing so much for society to be disrespected like that. 

This doesn't feel right to me. I wanted him to win so badly. He deserved it in every way possible. 

7 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Sorry if I offended anyone, I am just really sad how he gave up whole his life giving amazing performances and doing so much for society to be disrespected like that. 

This doesn't feel right to me. I wanted him to win so badly. He deserved it in every way possible. 

For what it’s worth, I do agree that it’s pretty sleazy how the Academy decided to save the Best Actor category for last, just so they could make a big deal out of Boseman’s death, only not to give it to him anyway. Boseman not winning is fine, but if that’s the case, they should’ve just ended with the Best Picture win like they usually do. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Chadwick was fantastic in everything and all and would've made for a worthy winner based on his work in the movie alone but are we gonna be all sad he didn't win and that he should have won not for his performance but because he died? That...doesn't feel right. Let's not turn into Nancy Pelosi here. ;)

It's because it's a great, final performance and last chance for Boseman to be an academy award winner.

Some say it was his best performance. 

And the academy awards built him up the entire ceremony. For what?

A loss?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1