Eric Atreides

93rd Academy Awards Discussion Thread | Nomadland, Hopkins, McDormand, Zhao, Youn, Kaluuya win

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

For what it’s worth, I do agree that it’s pretty sleazy how the Academy decided to save the Best Actor category for last, just so they could make a big deal out of Boseman’s death, only not to give it to him anyway. Boseman not winning is fine, but if that’s the case, they should’ve just ended with the Best Picture win like they usually do. 

It's not even on the Academy. It's all on the producers of the telecast who decided to change things up because they figured Boseman winning would provide them their biggest headline for tomorrow. And now it's turned out to be a whiff on par with the infamous La La Land/Moonlight Best Picture gaffe.

Just remembered Steven Soderbergh was one of the producers this year. I think we can all agree that he should never be asked to produce this (or any awards show, really) ever again and that he just stick to filmmaking.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

The majority of people are talking about Hopkins and The Father. It's like no one even cares about Nomadland. I expect The Father to have the biggest Oscar bump. (is it still playing in theaters?). The organizers did a huge disservice to Zhao and her movie by changing the awards order.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Sorry if I offended anyone, I am just really sad how he gave up whole his life giving amazing performances and doing so much for society to be disrespected like that. 

This doesn't feel right to me. I wanted him to win so badly. He deserved it in every way possible. 

"Deserve's got 'nuthin to do with it."  Eastwood - 'Unforgiven'  - I have to keep reminding myself of this quote whenever anyone -- even on the broadcast tonight -- utters that word.  I understand your frustration -- but you should know that this is not new.  

Many actors (and of course other great talents in cinema) through the years never won Oscars, but were/are greatly respected and admired by their peers...and now, history.  This is not new.  But the way this whole thing played out tonight clearly showed that the producers had surely not inside-polled the Actor category enough!  Because all the outer-buzz was on Boseman.  

This has also proved that even master filmmakers themselves can't quite get a handle on how to "fix" the Oscars!  (But yes, we are in an extraordinary year with unprecedented circumstances.)

First of all... Film is a visual medium -- the oldest moving-image medium in existence.  If we want people to still care about movies, any of them...they need to see them -- even a glimpse of them.  Just talking about them on stage doesn't do it.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Macleod said:

"Deserve's got 'nuthin to do with it."  Eastwood - 'Unforgiven'  - I have to keep reminding myself of this quote whenever anyone -- even on the broadcast tonight -- utters it.  I understand your frustration -- but you should know that this is not new.  

Many actors (and of course other great talents in cinema) through the years never won Oscars, but were/are greatly respected and admired by their peers...and now, history.  This is not new.  But the way this whole thing played out tonight clearly showed that the producers had surely not inside-polled the Actor category enough!  Because all the outer-buzz was on Boseman.  

This has also proved that even master filmmakers themselves can't quite get a handle on how to "fix" the Oscars!  (But yes, we are in an extraordinary year with unprecedented circumstances.)

First of all... Film is a visual medium -- the oldest moving-image medium in existence.  If we want people to still care about movies, any of them...they need to see them -- even a glimpse of them.  Just talking about them on stage doesn't do it.  

This also show how secrecy the result is and there is no leak beforehand. If not, they won't go ahead with the arrangement. I wonder how come they never had plan B for alternate best actor win? 

Also, what a great gesture from Frances Mcdormand to urge people go to see their film in cinema (in a safely way) and how supportive she is for theatrical experience. 

See film in cinema! Size matters

Edited by titanic2187

30 minutes ago, Chicago said:

There huge lack of interest in the awards this year.  I didnt even realise yesterday was Oscar night until i signed in

Somehow they can still make this ceremony run for more than 3 hours 19min. 

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 1