Eric Atreides

Best Picture Predictions - 2021

36 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It's weird it's not at TIFF because it'd be an audience award contender. Ultimately think it'll just end up Actor and tech noms now

26 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Makes no sense King Richard is skipping TIFF, too. What is happening?

It's called bad campaigning. I don't remember the last time MGM got a BP nomination and as I said before, WB likes to focus on one movie each year (and this year it's Dune, but it could be this if Dune flops hard). But still kinda weird there considering that they did take both joker and just mercy to TIFF in 2019.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

Having listened to the Dune sketchbook tracks, I think we can safely put Zimmer down for a score nom. I'd even say he has a shot at being the frontrunner (funny that Desplat is doing the score for both Anderson and Del Toro films this year since Zimmer lost to Desplat's scores for both these filmmaker's previous films).

18 hours ago, MrPink said:

I just don't know why we're hyping a film from the guy who made Joe Bell tbh

This one's not a vanity project for Marky Mark, for starters.

Happy with the early raves for King Richard. WB will be pushing Smith hard for a nomination as their main Best Actor play (Dune was always going to be too much of an ensemble piece and tech contender for Timothee or perhaps any of its actors to receive individual recognition).

Critics have been in Stewart's corner for years, it's convincing everyone else outside of her fanbase that's been the hold up. I don’t mean the people who've only watched her in Twilight and can't forgive her performances there, but the ones who've also seen her indie work and are like, "...she's fine, I guess?" It's been a weird disconnect, I can't think of another case quite like it in recent years. If Spencer doesn't break it, nothing will.

It seems like Spencer might be more of a Best Picture play than Jackie was, but it's still the Academy. "Challenging" movies about women can have all the raves and critical support all awards season, only to "shockingly" underperform on nomination morning, while some worse-reviewed film that's more male focused has a big showing. It's such a predictable pattern yet Film Twitter never learns.

Anyway, this season is also going to be very crowded thanks to all the 2020 holdovers, good things always miss, but it's probably going to be extra brutal this year.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's called bad campaigning. I don't remember the last time MGM got a BP nomination and as I said before, WB likes to focus on one movie each year (and this year it's Dune, but it could be this if Dune flops hard). But still kinda weird there considering that they did take both joker and just mercy to TIFF in 2019.

And if they bet on the wrong horse before festivals see them, they're saddled with the one they focused on. Doesn't make sense imo.

Edited by TheDude391

the last winner that didn't play the venice/telluride/toronto circuit was 15 years ago but i don't think it's here this year (unless the last duel gets surprisingly heavy raves which i kinda doubt). if there's a winner in there it's probably belfast? leads me to believe that nightmare alley/don't look up/PTA movie will end up being the real contenders but idk.

Think Nightmare Alley and King Richard are the two favorites for me but Belfast def rising the most in my predictions. 

Lost Daughter reviews are pretty great, where is this Twitter buzz that it and Power of the Dog were gonna be bad even coming from?

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Yup...

Festival highs are real and for a lot of people, we are going into the first "normal" season with good-sized crowds and all the stars and red carpets in two years. It's bound to lead to some degree of grade inflation, even more than usual.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Think Nightmare Alley and King Richard are the two favorites for me but Belfast def rising the most in my predictions. 

Lost Daughter reviews are pretty great, where is this Twitter buzz that it and Power of the Dog were gonna be bad even coming from?

European critics were pretty mixed/lukewarm on Power of the dog (Hand of God on the other hand getting raves) so that's where the bad buzz came from.

And Belfast rose in your predictions? The movie ended up being overshadowed by two other Telluride  premieres yesterday and I wouldn't be surprised if it kept getting overshadowed throughout its festival run.

9 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

European critics were pretty mixed/lukewarm on Power of the dog (Hand of God on the other hand getting raves) so that's where the bad buzz came from.

And The Lost Daughter is pretty much getting panned outside of the US. Spencer's reception seems to be worse outside of the US too.

Feels like Toronto People's Choice is going to be a big boost to something. WB is cuckoo if they don't add King Richard to the last set of announcements there - has People's Choice winner written all over it. Belfast has a shot too - def more loved rn by normies than most Very Online critics.

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Feels like Toronto People's Choice is going to be a big boost to something. WB is cuckoo if they don't add King Richard to the last set of announcements there - has People's Choice winner written all over it. Belfast has a shot too - def more loved rn by normies than most Very Online critics.

Have any major films been added to TIFF so late before? 

Edited by lorddemaxus

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Have any major films been added to TIFF so late before? 

They've been doing weird staggered announcements this season. I even saw someone imply they're gonna add Nightmare Alley. King Richard and Last Duel def make sense.

• Like 1