Eric Duncan

Best Picture Predictions - 2021

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Feels like Toronto People's Choice is going to be a big boost to something. WB is cuckoo if they don't add King Richard to the last set of announcements there - has People's Choice winner written all over it. Belfast has a shot too - def more loved rn by normies than most Very Online critics.

Given modern Oscar politics, it's probably better for something mainstream like King Richard not to put too much of a target on its back by being an early frontrunner. Nomadland managed to go wire-to-wire, but I think this will be a more typical season where something shinier will come along when voters really start watching everything. 

I'm looking forward to Nightmare Alley, but if it's faithful to the book, a Best Picture or lead acting win would be IMO extremely surprising. It's just not what today's Academy seems to reward with the top prizes.

So seems like Dune and Last Night in Soho are gonna be "techs or nothing" contenders at best. Was really hoping that the latter would surprise and become a major contender as a genre title, but it's ok, Queen Anya's Oscar breakthrough isn't too far off at this point anyway.

• Like 1

The French Dispatch is getting destroyed by basic American critics who saw it at Telluride. Guys like Scott Mantz (who btw aligns with Oscar voter opinions and loved stuff like Green Book) hated this. Personally more excited because this sounds like Anderson's best.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

When was Soho ever happening above the line. It's an Edgar Wright genre movie

Baby Driver did seem to come really close in 2017 considering it earned a Best Film Editing nomination so there was definitely support for it. At the very least, it was in the Top 15 that year.

9 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I still think Dune can make it. Year of 10 nominations. Villeneuve is respected enough by Hollywood, I'm sure his buddies will be appreciative of fact he directed an unfilmable passion project. 

Agreed, especially now that more reviews have dropped and it's not as divisive as it initially seemed. Let's not forget Villeneuve got a BAFTA nom for 2049. I'll probably drop it to the bottom half in my next predictions, but it's still in the race.

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

When was Soho ever happening above the line. It's an Edgar Wright genre movie

Focus seemed to be giving it a big push between its release date and festival placements. Belfast is probably their #1 now.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Belfast is getting raves from the normie types and this thread seems to be way underestimating it - it has always been Focus' main contender, with a prime release date and Telluride run.

Once it wins TIFF People's Choice it'll start being in the top 5 for many :hahaha: 

• Like 1

I probably should just wait until Last Duel and TIFF to update my predictions, but because it is raining and I'm procrastinating knocking doors....

Previously:

Picture

1. Nightmare Alley

2. King Richard

3. Soggy Bottom (or whatever they call it)

4. Power of the Dog

5. The Lost Daughter

6. Dune

7. Don't Look Up

8. Cyrano

9. Spencer

10. The Tragedy of Macbeth

Now, after Venice/Telluride

Picture

1. King Richard

2. Nightmare Alley

3. Soggy Bottom (or whatever they call it)

4. Belfast

5. Don't Look Up

6. Power of the Dog

7. Dune

8. A Hero 

9. Spencer

10. The Tragedy of Macbeth

Swapped Lost Daughter and Cyrano out, even though I still have Colman and Dinklage getting acting noms for them. Moved Belfast from first honorable mention to top five. Heard some things about Don't Look Up that made me want to move it up. Def think a blockbuster gets nominated this year so still listing Dune but was very, very tempted to put No Time To Die.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why is Searchlight insisting on taking French Dispatch everywhere when it's very clearly "this had Oscar buzz" at this point. Nightmare Alley will probably entirely skip the festival circuit.

87% with nearly 40 reviews on RT is hardly enough to bury a movie yet (especially one that is still in the running for techs). Nightmare Alley skipping the festivals isn't much of a surprise since it doesn't really need them (as GDT's follow-up to The Shape of Water featuring a cast full of notable actors so it's destined to have plenty of awareness surrounding it).

So, the new PTA is not called Soggy Bottom but Licorice Pizza (a real SoCal record store back in the day). It has me thinking, how many Best Picture winners have quirky/unusual titles? Oscar voters can have all kinds of hangups and I can definitely imagine some Anonymous Oscar Ballot cranks dismissing a "Soggy Bottom" out of hand: "I didn't even watch it. I just can't take that seriously. What were they thinking: Wet Ass? In my day, 'Oscar movies' had serious titles!"