Eric Atreides

Best Picture Predictions - 2021

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

From Matt Belloni

Basically, if you flop at the box office - kiss your award chances goodbye

Glad to see they learned nothing from attempting to force a feel-good narrative onto the audience this past year only for it to blow up in their faces in the end, I guess.

Mess, once again. The sooner these get away from ABC and onto a streaming service the better.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Netflix finally won their first Emmy series win this year (and two at that). Doubt that has an impact on Power of the Dog's chances of winning, but maaaaaaybe the Netflix stigma is slowly going away?

Said this in the other thread but streaming has been pretty much accepted as the only future for good television for a while now. Don't think the way Emmys are voted for will have much (if any) correlation with the Oscars, especially when everything had to go streaming last year out of necessity and the "we have to preserve the theatrical experience" sentiment might be even more alive now than it was pre-COVID.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Whatever issues the Emmys have, they manage to have a host and present more categories on the main telecast in just over 3 hours (28, to be exact). They even threw a lifetime achievement/honorary award in there! I'm not sure what the Oscars' problem is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

And wouldn't it be funny if, the year they are determined not to focus on the nominees, a bunch of fairly popular people/stuff ends up winning: Dune, Will Smith, Gaga, Meryl, Bradley Cooper, Beyonce. 

I'm guessing the show plans depend on the nominees. They are making a big mistake playing to the loudmouth cranks who say they "don't care" about award shows, but can't stop weighing in on how they should go.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Whatever issues the Emmys have, they manage to have a host and present more categories on the main telecast in just over 3 hours (28, to be exact). They even threw a lifetime achievement/honorary award in there! I'm not sure what the Oscars' problem is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The bias of movies > TV at work, pretty much. That's why each year they only become more transparent in their desperation to put together the most everything-for-everyone ceremony ever (and how we end up with lame bits like Jimmy Kimmel and a gaggle of celebrities hijacking a movie screening next door to fill time).

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Turns out the "Macbeth got rejected from Venice" story was complete and utter horseshit. Probably bodes well for Blonde next year too.

I think that story is still true. One of the sources who someone who literally knew the programmers. Could just be one of those films that Americans like a lot more than Europeans. I mean we have had practically no reviews from the European press so far.

They put divisive things like Lost Daughter and Last Night in Soho and middling stuff like The Last Duel and Halloween Kills, I'm pretty sure they weren't going to reject a Coens directed Denzel starring Macbeth movie that is good enough to get 5/5 reviews from almost every publication. But we shall never really know.

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

I'm out so I can't listen but that dialogue as subtitled is yikes. Goes beyond any realm of minimal subtlety.

People said that about Vice, and it still got all the nominations anyway, so... Different subject matter, but the test screenings have supposedly gone well and the Academy hasn't had issues with McKay's style so far. 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

People said that about Vice, and it still got all the nominations anyway, so... Different subject matter, but the test screenings have supposedly gone well and the Academy hasn't had issues with McKay's style so far. 

To be fair, the timeliness of Vice (a takedown of a rotten republican presidential era from not so long ago while we were living another rotten republican presidential era) is why it was considered a major frontrunner (until it was seen) the whole year long (and perhaps what resulted in it maxing out its nomination potential despite all the hurdles it ended up facing). Not sensing the same kind of buzz for Don't Look Up.

• Like 2